Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

route advice Dublin-kilkenny-waterford-cork

• 25-06-2019 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Taking three days to spin to Cork from Dublin. Stopping in Kilkenny the first night to meet a friend, stopping in Waterford the second night to watch a match and getting the train back from cork the third night. Any recommendations of routes or ones to avoid or even some .gpx would be appreciated. I've had a look throught the forum but over the years traffic changes as dual carriageways arrive or greenways appear etc.

I presume Dublin-Blessington-Carlow-Kilkenny is reasonable, I've no idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Dublin to Kilkenny is easy enough along the N81 to Blessington, then Dunlavin, Castledermot Carlow and on to Kilkenny. c4-5hrs without too much faffing about.

Kilkenny to Waterford is straightforward too, or as much as you want it to be, straight down the N9 and will take no more than 2hrs, but an option would be to go via Bennettsbridge, Thomastown, Inistoige and either over the hills to Waterford or via New Ross and the N25 (or a number of quieter parallel roads) which will double that time.

Waterford to Cork via Dungarvan and Youghal along the N25 is a nice road in general, busy with a lot of traffic, but mostly with a good hard shoulder and pretty safe - or at least as safe as any primary road and will take 5hrs assuming the headwind isnt too bad. Alternative picturesque and far quieter options exist along the copper coast (first leg to Dungarvan) or via Helvick and Ardmore between Dungarvan and Youghal but will add a fair bit of climbing and quite a few extra hours stopping to take pictures of the stunning coastline.

Lots to choose from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Best route to Kilkenny, IMO, is right from the N81 to Saggart and then Rathcoole, and then on to the Kilteel road, straight through the junctions at Rathmore to the L2021 on to the R410, straight on to Athgarvan and then right onto the Curragh.

Follow the Curragh to Kildare, then on to Monastrevin and Portlaoise. From there, the N77 to Kilkenny through Abbeyleix and Durrow has a hard shoulder pretty much all the way.

Its about 15 km longer than the N81/ Carlow route but a nicer ride, approx 140 km. My missus works in KK and am regularly up and down on that route. From KK to Waterford there's the R700 to R448 which is grand. From Waterford head to Tramore - an extra 10 km - and then the Copper Coast to Dungarvan. Nice.. I'd then do Dungarvan to Cork on the third day.

That's about the extent of my knowledge..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

poochiem wrote: »
    Taking three days to spin to Cork from Dublin. Stopping in Kilkenny the first night to meet a friend, stopping in Waterford the second night to watch a match and getting the train back from cork the third night. Any recommendations of routes or ones to avoid or even some .gpx would be appreciated. I've had a look throught the forum but over the years traffic changes as dual carriageways arrive or greenways appear etc.

I presume Dublin-Blessington-Carlow-Kilkenny is reasonable, I've no idea?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30376042

Waterford to Cork, its not the easiest way but it will be pretty and very quite for the most part.

The entire "coast road" between Waterford and Dungarvan isn't hectic, it has some great sections but can be busy and is too far inland at times. The route above hugs coast on back roads between Tramore and Annestown and again between Bunmahon and Stradbally. A little treat around 40km where you go under a viaduct before getting onto greenway for most scenic section(you could hop on a little earlier if you want to go under through the tunnel.

Dungarvan to Youghal route goes inland for a change away from coast, although there is a lot of options closer to water. (If you like back roads and want to follow coast the "Gimme Shelter 200" audax route has Dungarvan to Midelton via coast pretty nailed down)

The route above follows Youghal to Midleton with the old Midelton 200 route.

There is about 2km of the N25 dual carriageway; be super careful where the two bridges result in hard shoulder disappearing; you could go through town centre to avoid if you wish.

The last bit of route is a back road across to Great Island and a ferry to passage and then a off road cycle path around by Lough Mahon and in by the Pairc boy.

Don't bother with the route if you don't like back roads though

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭El Vino

Section I know best is Waterford to Dungarvan, here you have two choices, Deise Greenway or hug the coast. The coast road is pretty hilly but section from Tramore to Bunmahon is stunning, you could still do this section and join the greenway near Stradbally.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Dublin to KK, I've gone out through Blesso and then Baltinglass to Castledermot, Carlow and straight in the old Dublin Road to KK. Handy spin. KK to Waterford, I wouldn't do anything other than the old main road. Carlow to KK and KK to Waterford are handy on the old main road as there's little traffic since the motorways were built. Waterford Dungarvan is straight forward also.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

Good advice already, just to weigh in with my 2c on the sections I know

* Kk to Waterford - N10/R713/R448 (old N9) is a good option, fairly traffic free these days and a good surface. Alternatives you could go via Bennetsbridge and Thomastown on the R700 (not mad about this stretch of road personally - too many close passing gammons), then either on to Inistoige or head up over the mountain on backroads. Otherwise, go on to Knocktopher and follow the R699/R701 via Hugginstown to Mullinavat thence on to Waterford.

* Waterford to Dungarvan - It'd be a shame to miss the Copper Coast, so I'd be all for Large Bottle's route (it is hilly though!). Where I'd deviate is to take to the greenway at about km 41 (or at O'Mahoneys pub at 42km) which gets you through the Ballyvoile tunnel (the road under the viaduct at the 39km mark is lovely - better than from up top I think) and then out via Clonea

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭nilhg

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Best route to Kilkenny, IMO, is right from the N81 to Saggart and then Rathcoole, and then on to the Kilteel road, straight through the junctions at Rathmore to the L2021 on to the R410, straight on to Athgarvan and then right onto the Curragh.

Follow the Curragh to Kildare, then on to Monastrevin and Portlaoise. From there, the N77 to Kilkenny through Abbeyleix and Durrow has a hard shoulder pretty much all the way.

Its about 15 km longer than the N81/ Carlow route but a nicer ride, approx 140 km. My missus works in KK and am regularly up and down on that route. From KK to Waterford there's the R700 to R448 which is grand. From Waterford head to Tramore - an extra 10 km - and then the Copper Coast to Dungarvan. Nice.. I'd then do Dungarvan to Cork on the third day.

That's about the extent of my knowledge..

Slightly more appealing version of the above, to me anyway, with the added bonus of a nice coffee/lunch stop in Stradbally Fayre below.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30377650

If the OP wanted to be slightly more adventurous then from Strad I'd be looking at Luggacurren, The Swan, and on to Castlecomer, lovely cycling roads and quiet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

So many good tips, thanks everyone. I'm hoping to do a few of these spins over the summer based around league of ireland away games and getting buses or trains one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

poochiem wrote: »
    So many good tips, thanks everyone. I'm hoping to do a few of these spins over the summer based around league of ireland away games and getting buses or trains one way.

Can you navigate follow a track on a gps ? If you can pick the off the beaten track route over hard shoulder on main roads/busy regional roads everytime.

Cycling should equal adventure; don't pick a route a motorist would. Don't be afraid of getting lost.

Which Waterford game are you going to? I'm so out of touch my route started in Kilcohan Park 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

cycle down through Wicklow (over the Sally Gap if you're feeling energetic, otherwise thru Roundwood and Rathdrum) and then cross-country to Kilkenny. Its a while since I was on the N81 but I recall it being pretty busy. Personally I'd stay off any road with an "N" in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

nilhg wrote: »
    Slightly more appealing version of the above, to me anyway, with the added bonus of a nice coffee/lunch stop in Stradbally Fayre below.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30377650

If the OP wanted to be slightly more adventurous then from Strad I'd be looking at Luggacurren, The Swan, and on to Castlecomer, lovely cycling roads and quiet too.

Yes, through the Swan is a good option and there's a few nice cafes in Castlecomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

OP, you didn't say when you're actually planning to do your trip, but in the unlikely event you're doing it this weekend be warned there's a rally on somewhere in Waterford (http://www.carrickonsuirmotorclub.com/events/ravens-rock-rally.html) on Sunday and it looks like they'll be out recceing on Saturday. I say "somewhere" as they're utterly useless at saying where they're going to be, best you can hope for is this, which would seem to suggest it's west of Dungarvan. HQ appears to be in the city, so assume increased levels of petrolheads in general over the weekend.

It's a proper pest as I unwittingly got caught out 2 years ago on an open public road they were using to transition between stages. First I knew of it (nope - no signage) was when a bunch of scobies started fishtailing past me then after going round a bend on the wrong side of the road, nearly cleared out a bunch of lads on bikes coming the opposite direction. Should have reported them, but was more concerned in getting my ass to safety at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

So just to say thanks for the tips, I scrolled through the messages en route when dubious about taking different turns etc.

Thursday I took the N81 to Blessington which isn't ideal, as you know, with a lot of trucks but got it over with and then made for Kilkenny via minor roads mostly - Dunlavin, Grangecon, Baltinglass, Castledermot, Carlow, Leighlinbridge to KK.

Friday to Waterford via Kells, Stoneyford, Hugginstown and Mullinavat.

Saturday Cork via the Greenway to Dungarvan then Youghal after a bit of the Gaeltacht on minor roads and finally the N25 from Castlemartyr to Cork train station and home to Dublin.

Very enjoyable, I didn't take the Garmin and just navigated by signposts or by phone with an eye on taking roads if they appeared quiet. I'd like more time to take the minor roads along the coast in cork so will do that another time. Recommend.

Advertisement