Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When you forget to disembark

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Noxegon wrote: »
    Woman wakes up alone on 'cold, dark' Air Canada plane after flight lands

http://news.sky.com/story/woman-wakes-up-alone-on-cold-dark-air-canada-plane-after-flight-lands-11747747

I'd have gone back to sleep. I've 2 young kids, anything for a decent night's sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Noxegon wrote: »
    Woman wakes up alone on 'cold, dark' Air Canada plane after flight lands

http://news.sky.com/story/woman-wakes-up-alone-on-cold-dark-air-canada-plane-after-flight-lands-11747747

It would be a story of she woke up on a cold dark plane alone before it landed.

she had been having "reoccurring night terrors" since her ordeal.

Jesus... fcuking... christ. :rolleyes:

Bring them to court and try get a few Euro if you must, but why make a fcuking fool of yourself in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

she had been having "reoccurring night terrors" since her ordeal.

Lucky for Air Canada planes don't have swings on board

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

This simply didn't happen as claimed. Someone needs extra cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭plodder

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    This simply didn't happen as claimed. Someone needs extra cash.
    While the second sentence could be true, I don't see why it couldn't have happened substantially as claimed, since it's not the first time it has happened to Air Canada.

Though, it would be more worrying if someone planned a stunt like this and succeeded. The implications of that would be far more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Line up the cabin crew, the cleaners, the turn around mech and the catering loaders and quiz them all. The cabin crew have a direct responsibility on this one as it is their job to ensure that all the pax are safely off before they leave. The rest would have seen the woman as they passed through the cabin, even if she hid in the jacks, as the cleaners are supposed to clean the jacks and top up the toiletries. The turn around mech is supposed to check the cabin for anything that needs fixing (seats, bins,etc) and the catering crew would have seen her as they took the bar / food carts off. Still, something is ropey about this....I did find one old lady, in my time, waiting patiently in her seat for a liftoff. I was prepping the aircraft to be towed to a remote stand and was checking the cabin as part of my daily inspection. The cabin crew had left without her, as the wheelchair guy had not turned up and they assumed she had been lifted off. I had to call Ground Ops to get her taken off and her bag and wheelchair found, as they were gone into the baggage hall already. The old lady was apologising to everybody for causing a fuss. Ground Ops nearly shat themselves, as they were afraid she'd sue. In the end, we got her away safely. The cabin crew were bollocked from a height for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

If that happened to me I'd be checking the FD door... if it was open, hit the BAT switch and flick on all the lights... that'd freak someone out. If no-one noticed, turn on the APU, fire up the engines and reverse out of the spot. Then cry 'havok!' and let slip the dogs of aviation?

Yes, I'd probably be dead thirty seconds later. Worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Line up the cabin crew, the cleaners, the turn around mech and the catering loaders and quiz them all. The cabin crew have a direct responsibility on this one as it is their job to ensure that all the pax are safely off before they leave. The rest would have seen the woman as they passed through the cabin, even if she hid in the jacks, as the cleaners are supposed to clean the jacks and top up the toiletries. The turn around mech is supposed to check the cabin for anything that needs fixing (seats, bins,etc) and the catering crew would have seen her as they took the bar / food carts off. Still, something is ropey about this....I did find one old lady, in my time, waiting patiently in her seat for a liftoff. I was prepping the aircraft to be towed to a remote stand and was checking the cabin as part of my daily inspection. The cabin crew had left without her, as the wheelchair guy had not turned up and they assumed she had been lifted off. I had to call Ground Ops to get her taken off and her bag and wheelchair found, as they were gone into the baggage hall already. The old lady was apologising to everybody for causing a fuss. Ground Ops nearly shat themselves, as they were afraid she'd sue. In the end, we got her away safely. The cabin crew were bollocked from a height for that one.

I’d imagine there’s a bit more to that story then cabin crew forgetting they’d a lift off and exiting the aircraft with all due respect, OCS aren’t exactly at the top of their game at the moment and have directly been the result of a lot of miscommunications including one who brought a lady off the aircraft to the top of the bridge went for an “additional” wheelchair and didn’t come back, cabin crew rightly left the aircraft. The ground staff were then spoken to by the DAA when she was discovered alone even though frankly the duty of care had transferred to another organisation !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

If that happened to me I'd be checking the FD door... if it was open, hit the BAT switch and flick on all the lights... that'd freak someone out. If no-one noticed, turn on the APU, fire up the engines and reverse out of the spot. Then cry 'havok!' and let slip the dogs of aviation?

Yes, I'd probably be dead thirty seconds later. Worth it.

See if it can do a barrel roll, eh.

• Advertisement

Jack1985 wrote: »
    I’d imagine there’s a bit more to that story then cabin crew forgetting they’d a lift off and exiting the aircraft with all due respect, OCS aren’t exactly at the top of their game at the moment and have directly been the result of a lot of miscommunications including one who brought a lady off the aircraft to the top of the bridge went for an “additional” wheelchair and didn’t come back, cabin crew rightly left the aircraft. The ground staff were then spoken to by the DAA when she was discovered alone even though frankly the duty of care had transferred to another organisation !
    I agree with you, especially about OCS, but at least a dozen people would have seen this old lady. My point is that "duty of care", as a concept, needs to be hammered home to a few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Was there not a story about a rear gunner that fell asleep when a mission was abandoned on a stormy night . The crew landed and did not bother waking him up as their lives were being endangered by him sleeping . He woke up called the crew could not hear any engines but the wind blowing over the abandoned plane and presumed everyone had jumped . He wound the turret around and bailed out backwards onto the tarmac .

he broke his leg and was posted out to another unit. Sleeping on the way home way regarded as a fatal error as German night fighters used to follow the bombers home on intruder missions and attacked the bombers in the circuit, so gunners were expected to stay alert, all the way to touchdown.

Advertisement