Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

eeloe wrote: »
    Of course not, if it comes to it and i "need" to get it i will, but i'm just looking at as many options as possible.

I guess i shouldn't have asked for advice here if all i'm going to get is a smart remark like "start saving for a wheelchair now"
    To be fair, I can see where he's coming from, I wouldn't be going on medical advice from a Chiropractor either.

Physio might be able to offer some advice, but if it's bad enough and other doctors agree, surgery might be your best option long term.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Unfortunately i couldn't get an appointment with my physio for the next couple of weeks, but i will be going to see him when i get a chance.

Referral letter has been sent to the suggestion surgeon by my GP, so we'll see what he says also.

Anyone else have a discectomy and return to training?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Ush1 wrote: »
    Bit of advice lads. I have a son who I just signed up to jiu jitsu. He's only four years old, five at the end of this month.

He's been going for maybe a month and a half or so, classes are twice a week. He's getting on fine but the only issue I find is that they've started to do some rolling and he either doesn't get what's happening or is just not into it. If another kid gets any type of grip he will just flop to his back, almost like he still thinks it's a drill they're doing. Sometimes he might even run away for a second :pac: He never cries and keeps going until the end but I'm trying not to get frustrated with it. He's a bit of a nerdy kid and not as "physical" as others so just trying to think what's the best way to help him.

I have mats at home and I roll with him and show him some moves and he likes it but he's always laughing(which is great) but I'm not sure he sees the competitive aspect to it and how he should be fighting back etc..

Any advice?

I actually have a son the same age doing BJJ.

What you describe is totally normal behaviour for a four or five year old from what I've seen. I think at that age they're really borderline in terms of being able to grasp what is going on in BJJ class, a lot of what goes on is mimicking and taking cues from others. Sure they'll improve at the warm-up and grasp a lot of BJJ related movements, but you do see that they're unsure of what the parameters are when it comes to something like a sparring-related game. Takes a while for them to get that they actually are allowed to try and take the other kid down and squash them (Whereas, confusingly, there are other times when people give out to them for this kind of behaviour..).

I'm not sure that personally I would actually want to ty to push it. If they are enjoying it and want to turn up then I think I'd be wary of changing the formula and risking them jacking it in. I already see other kids at the classes who are there under duress and feel sorry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I actually have a son the same age doing BJJ.

What you describe is totally normal behaviour for a four or five year old from what I've seen. I think at that age they're really borderline in terms of being able to grasp what is going on in BJJ class, a lot of what goes on is mimicking and taking cues from others. Sure they'll improve at the warm-up and grasp a lot of BJJ related movements, but you do see that they're unsure of what the parameters are when it comes to something like a sparring-related game. Takes a while for them to get that they actually are allowed to try and take the other kid down and squash them (Whereas, confusingly, there are other times when people give out to them for this kind of behaviour..).

I'm not sure that personally I would actually want to ty to push it. If they are enjoying it and want to turn up then I think I'd be wary of changing the formula and risking them jacking it in. I already see other kids at the classes who are there under duress and feel sorry for them.

Exactly. I think he is so used to getting told not to do certain things that he is confused as to what he can or is supposed to do when it comes time to spar. You're right though, it's crazy to put any real expectations on a child so young. I'll just keep bringing him and encouraging him and I'm sure he will figure it out after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Brussell Jitz

I agree, as long as they are on the mats and having fun it's a win in my book. It's not an easy age to be (from what I can remember lol) and being a parent, just getting them to do a consistent sport/activity is a huge win! Keep us informed, it's all about fun for them at that age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

i have been training bjj for a few months now. i have one major issue that i would like some advice on if possible.

I cant seem to get when i eat before training right. if i do it to close i feel like i will vomit during the class and if i eat to far away from class i notice i dont have the same energy.

I know everyone is different but if you could tell me your routine maybe i could try see if it works for me.

any and all advice will be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

Ush1 wrote: »
    Bit of advice lads. I have a son who I just signed up to jiu jitsu. He's only four years old, five at the end of this month.

He's been going for maybe a month and a half or so, classes are twice a week. He's getting on fine but the only issue I find is that they've started to do some rolling and he either doesn't get what's happening or is just not into it. If another kid gets any type of grip he will just flop to his back, almost like he still thinks it's a drill they're doing. Sometimes he might even run away for a second :pac: He never cries and keeps going until the end but I'm trying not to get frustrated with it. He's a bit of a nerdy kid and not as "physical" as others so just trying to think what's the best way to help him.

I have mats at home and I roll with him and show him some moves and he likes it but he's always laughing(which is great) but I'm not sure he sees the competitive aspect to it and how he should be fighting back etc..

Any advice?

Leave it to the coaches pal, my son was exactly the same. Started at 4 bit shy and again running away. It's a learning curve, something new, my son is now 11 yellow belt and still going, as for the 'not as physical' part you will soon see his strength improve, bjj great for all round strength. Stick with it and don't get frustrated with it.

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i have been training bjj for a few months now. i have one major issue that i would like some advice on if possible.

I cant seem to get when i eat before training right. if i do it to close i feel like i will vomit during the class and if i eat to far away from class i notice i dont have the same energy.

I know everyone is different but if you could tell me your routine maybe i could try see if it works for me.

any and all advice will be greatly appreciated

I'm having the same issue lately.

What i've found, it's not the time i'm eating, but more what i'm eating.

Keep it bland, and it shouldn't be repeating on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you are feeling like vomiting, or feeling weak. It's not the time you are eating, but you are pushing too hard.
    I'd often eat at 1pm, and not trainat 7pm, or even first thing in the morning without eating. On the otherhand, I've also grabbed food and/or coffee on the way into the gym

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭RoboRat

So, strange one yesterday. Was out looking for furniture with my wife and 2 kids and my son was acting up, running around and trying to climb on beds etc. He has just gone 7, so knows better and after repeatedly asking him to stop, and not succeeding, I caught him at the elbow with a one handed Americana.

My knee is shot so I can't be running after him and he knows it, plus I also had the 2 year old in tow and she was following his lead. It wasn't hurting him but he couldn't run off so he was beside me and I was able to hold my daughters hand and keep her in check.

This woman comes over to me as looks at the grip and asks me to show her how to do it as she also has a hyperactive kid and was well impressed that it wasn't hurting him, but keeping him in check. Cue an impromptu americana clinic on a Sunday afternoon in a furniture shop and promises from her that she must look into starting BJJ.

Mad experience!

• Advertisement

Lol. That's brilliant. Starting BJJ to control her kids.
    Wait until still learns how to put them to sleep

So pretty excited, got promoted to blue belt last night! :D

So pretty excited, got promoted to blue belt last night! :D

Congrats man.
    Hope your back is feeling better

Congrats.
    White belts will now try kill you.
    Higher belts will stop taking it easy on you.

It's fun

Mellor wrote: »
    Congrats man.
    Hope your back is feeling better
    Feeling much better, working on rehab as much as i can, and just taking it easy and picking my rolling partners carefully to not get stacked. going to go as long as possible before going any further with surgery.
    Tazzimus wrote: »
    Congrats.
    White belts will now try kill you.
    Higher belts will stop taking it easy on you.

It's fun

I noticed that last night....it gets better, but harder!

Looking forward to continuing the journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭creeper1

Do any of you guys suffer from insomnia after training? On Tuesday night training is 8.30 to 10.00 at my club.

I feel there maybe a lot of adrenaline in my system from sparring and sleep is broken.

The simple solution is to make up for it on the Wednesday night however there is another class on then I’d like to make but am often too sleepy for

I'm rarely sleepy after training. But I tend to stay up late anyway. So have a few hours to chill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

creeper1 wrote: »
    Do any of you guys suffer from insomnia after training? On Tuesday night training is 8.30 to 10.00 at my club.

I feel there maybe a lot of adrenaline in my system from sparring and sleep is broken.

The simple solution is to make up for it on the Wednesday night however there is another class on then I’d like to make but am often too sleepy for

Yup.

Im told it's a result of poor conditioning. Could be true. I took a long break and returned 2 years ago and could never sleep after. Then the issue went away

I stepped things up again by getting back into some mma training and sparring and the sleepless nights returned after those sessions

creeper1 wrote: »

What's your diet like? are you eating after training when you get home? eating that late at night will certainly keep you up.

What's your diet like? are you eating after training when you get home? eating that late at night will certainly keep you up.

My diets ok. All getting easier and get more sleep each week.

I eat light after a late training session. But late eating has never kept me up at night. Hard training sessions on the other hand have always kept me up since returning to the mats on a regular basis.

I am going to try to get a bit more cardio in in the mornings however.

I have a feeling my heart rate is just not getting back down to its base level after a hard session and that's keeping me up the odd time.

My girlfriend recently returned to gymnastics for the first time since college and she has noticed too that nights after a tough training session, she has trouble sleeping.

• Advertisement

Certainly a strange one.

Just don't over train if you're going to be also doing cardio in the mornings, burning the candle at both ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm a victim of this issue as well. If I train from 7pm to 8:30pm I notice that my heart rate, normally in the mid to late 50s (not sure if that's good) is always way higher than nights I'm not training. In the 80s or so.

I started vaping CBD before bed and it's been improving, however now that I read the stuff above about conditioning, it could be nothing to do with the CBD and all to do with my fitness improving as I've been cycling a lot too on top of training regularly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I think almost everyone will struggle to go to sleep if they have a reasonably late finish after a hard training session. I know people who report the same after doing really max effort lifting work as well.

I don't discount the heart rate element, and maybe it's related to this, but would think the most usual explanation for the difficulty sleeping is is that when we do hard sparring what occurs is that your body is releasing some adrenaline and cortisol. Of course it's not the same as a true "fight or flight" situation like a real fight - or maybe even a competition - but it is probably enough to disrupt sleep. If you look at some lower belts, particularly new people, there's no question that they are in this kind of state. I find that there's a lot of stuff that runs through the mind after a significant evening of sparring too... Thinking over where you went wrong, what you need to work on etc.

Maybe the subconscious mind isn't quite adept at realising this is supposed to just be a hobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Phoebe Full Overlap

Exercise induced insomnia is pretty common after exercising in the evenings, the more intense the worse it gets.

People should really take the time post training to chill and get into a habit of practicing sleep hygene.

Some people find LULLABY MILK is great in the evenings, its available in a lot of Irish supermarkets now.

Some people find LULLABY MILK is great in the evenings, its available in a lot of Irish supermarkets now.

You mean whiskey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Does jiu-jitsu ever feel "normal"? By that I mean do you ever get to the point where are you aren't nervous before the class, worrying you will have to do some really awkward uncomfortable move, nervous/awkward about getting a partner etc?

I remember how nervous I was before my first class and while subsequent classes were not as bad, I wasn't exactly relaxed either. I always felt wary, nervous and out of place.

I went to a few classes initially then decided to join their beginners programme but broke a finger during the first class of it. I had to take a few weeks off training as a result of the broken finger and to be honest, I never went back and I cancelled my membership a few months ago.

I was sort of relieved I didn't have to go back as apart from feeling socially awkward at it, as you know yourselves, it hurts and is difficult, especially at the start. My knees would always be sore, mat burns were a pain and I hated having to do falls and takedowns. I felt like those were just asking for trouble (injuries). Someone said to me recently that it would be very easy to break something at jiu-jitsu and I was lucky it was only a finger.

My main worry was always that it would negatively impact other areas of my life meaning that I'd end up injured, having to go to hospital, take time off work, be limited in terms of doing other things like cycling etc which I really like. I know you could slip getting out of the shower and hurt yourself but jiu-jitsu always seemed like it was a case of when not if you got injured and you'd be relying on nothing more than chance and pure luck for it to be something minor.

Having said all that, I see they are starting another beginners programme and it's knawed at me a bit that I gave up. Am I mad to be considering going back? Just yesterday I was getting ready to get rid of my gi and clear out some space in my wardrobe. I guess I don't know if it's either a case of giving up too soon or just not realising that it isn't for me.

Sorry for the long post, just needed to get this out there.

Anyone else been through something similar? What did you end up doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭creeper1

You might have to accept that you won't like it for the first 6 months or so. Everyone may be stronger than you, everyone may know more than you, everyone more relaxed than you maintaining position.

Look, it is easy for the best athlete in the class to turn up and smash everyone. It takes no will power or whatever and I respect the beginners that show up and try despite the low morale they might encounter.

Make realistic goals. Like that guy on youtube said his first goal was not to tap everyone out but to be difficult to tap out. Or even just last longer. 3 minutes of surviving rather than 30 seconds.

As for the thing about injuries I think bjj is very safe provided you don't play the hero and refuse to tap. If someone has you tap. End of story.

As for takedowns and throws I wish my club would do some of them. There is no live practice of this at all. Only demonstration and practice against non-resisting opponents. However all I can say is learn how to break fall.

Good luck.

veganrun wrote: »
    Does jiu-jitsu ever feel "normal"? By that I mean do you ever get to the point where are you aren't nervous before the class, worrying you will have to do some really awkward uncomfortable move, nervous/awkward about getting a partner etc?

I remember how nervous I was before my first class and while subsequent classes were not as bad, I wasn't exactly relaxed either. I always felt wary, nervous and out of place.

I went to a few classes initially then decided to join their beginners programme but broke a finger during the first class of it. I had to take a few weeks off training as a result of the broken finger and to be honest, I never went back and I cancelled my membership a few months ago.

I was sort of relieved I didn't have to go back as apart from feeling socially awkward at it, as you know yourselves, it hurts and is difficult, especially at the start. My knees would always be sore, mat burns were a pain and I hated having to do falls and takedowns. I felt like those were just asking for trouble (injuries). Someone said to me recently that it would be very easy to break something at jiu-jitsu and I was lucky it was only a finger.

My main worry was always that it would negatively impact other areas of my life meaning that I'd end up injured, having to go to hospital, take time off work, be limited in terms of doing other things like cycling etc which I really like. I know you could slip getting out of the shower and hurt yourself but jiu-jitsu always seemed like it was a case of when not if you got injured and you'd be relying on nothing more than chance and pure luck for it to be something minor.

Having said all that, I see they are starting another beginners programme and it's knawed at me a bit that I gave up. Am I mad to be considering going back? Just yesterday I was getting ready to get rid of my gi and clear out some space in my wardrobe. I guess I don't know if it's either a case of giving up too soon or just not realising that it isn't for me.

Sorry for the long post, just needed to get this out there.

Anyone else been through something similar? What did you end up doing?
    This may sound a tad harsh, so I'll apologise beforehand.

BJJ, even though it's known as the gentle art, is a contact sport. Expect to be hurt somewhat.
    I'm not talking about going home feeling like you just got manhandled by Khabib or that, but if it's a good session, you should expect to be a bit sore. The good pain, if you will.

As for it being normal, you'll find the majority of your time you'll be getting subbed by more experienced people than you, it's quite a humbling sport. As you go up belts, you'll find that continues, for the most part.

Injuries wise, you'll pick up niggly ones, like you would in any sport, but generally it's fairly safe if you respect the tap and don't try tough things out too much. Decent training partners who know what they're doing helps here as well.
    The falls and take-downs thing I'd love to do regular as that's how a lot of injuries occur, from not knowing how to fall properly etc.

One thing that you'll notice, if you stick with it, is it becomes addictive.
    That one move that you had trouble doing suddenly clicks.
    You keep getting caught by the same submissions, so start figuring out why and how not to get caught again.
    You'll make some good friends from it too, most of us are fairly friendly as we were all beginners once.

I'm going back after 7 months off, fully expecting everyone to smash me while I frantically try remember anything from the previous 3 years.
    Can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I don't mind being sore and I expect that, is more the worry of injuries. The first class they showed us breakfalls and I felt I could do them well when I was in control doing it by myself. The problem is when someone is doing a take down I'm maybe on one leg as they've grabbed the other and it's much more difficult to land easily and without a thud. The broken finger happened when I had my hand at the back of a guys knee and he bent his leg when he fell. I always tap early and have no issue with tapping early and often but it wasn't that that caused the break so that plays on my mind.

• Advertisement

veganrun wrote: »
    I don't mind being sore and I expect that, is more the worry of injuries. The first class they showed us breakfalls and I felt I could do them well when I was in control doing it by myself. The problem is when someone is doing a take down I'm maybe on one leg as they've grabbed the other and it's much more difficult to land easily and without a thud. The broken finger happened when I had my hand at the back of a guys knee and he bent his leg when he fell. I always tap early and have no issue with tapping early and often but it wasn't that that caused the break so that plays on my mind.
    That just sound like a freak accident more than anything, I wouldn't let that discourage you from going back.
    I popped a bone out of place in my hand from someone rolling over it, not something you'd expect to normally happen either.

Advertisement