Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Correcting Jr Cert History

• 21-06-2019 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys looking for some advice re correcting Jr Cert History papers.

I'm a former History teacher but now in a full time position in a 9-5 doing development education in an NGO. I'm on the waiting list to correct Jr cert history.

Just wondering how much time a paper takes and if you think it's feasible with a full time role? Have weekends and evenings free

I've been potentially asked to do 400

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Hi guys looking for some advice re correcting Jr Cert History papers.

I'm a former History teacher but now in a full time position in a 9-5 doing development education in an NGO. I'm on the waiting list to correct Jr cert history.

Just wondering how much time a paper takes and if you think it's feasible with a full time role? Have weekends and evenings free

I've been potentially asked to do 400

Any advice appreciated!

You cannot mark on top of a full time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Just wondering ... if you think it's feasible with a full time role? Have weekends and evenings free
    Basically, no.
    You might manage it if you're really burning the candle at both ends, have a really good work ethic, and have no distractions, but you're talking about spending at least 5-6 hours per day, most days, once you're into the marking proper.
    You wouldn't have time for anything else, and you're unlikely to be doing a good job if you're working that hard, which will mean that you'll end up having to go back over things over and over.
    If you're working 9-5 too, you're not going to be able to get to the post office as easily, nor will you be able to accept delivery of scripts when your advising examiner sends them back, so you'll be delayed an extra 24 hours each time that happens, and you don't have time for that either.
    Aaaaaand your deadlines don't move, so there'll be at least one stage in the marking, probably more than one, where you won't be able to make the work up at the weekend because you'll have one deadline on the Monday, and the next on the Friday, or on the Tuesday and then the Saturday, or something like that.

So yeah, no chance you'll be able to do it really. Your marking will almost certainly suffer, and your 9-5 probably will too, along with your general well-being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

I wouldn’t be able to. When I marked junior certs I spent a minimum of 6 hours a day doing the actual marking. And that was only if I started early and took a long break in the middle of the day. Trips to the post office, paperwork and revisions after monitoring were on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Nope. Not a hope. It's a full time job for the duration. And it says that in your contract that you are not supposed to be working at another job while you are doing it.

Assuming you do a regular enough 9-5 day, allow time for travel to and from your job and to eat, you would only have evenings available to you. You wouldn't have enough time. Also if you were expected to re-mark papers for any reason, it's expected that you drop what you are doing and start there and then. You won't be able to do that.

Don't accept it if you are offered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Not possible. When would you have time to go to the post office, collect scripts? I'd say it would take longer than 6 hours a day especially as you're not used to teaching/correcting. Maybe history is easier than others to correct but 6 hours is very little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 toosweetnwo

Thanks for the advice everyone- had no idea what was really involved so will be turning down the offer.

Really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

It could work if you took a few days hols and half days over the 3 weeks, worked every Saturday and Sunday, and had somebody who could get to the post office fo you.

Also, depending on numbers of examiners, SEC may agree to give you a smaller number of scripts, if they have no other reserve examiners.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You have to make the deadlines, so I'm not sure that would work. The contract says no other work.

Advertisement