Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-12-2018, 13:24   #1
OffalyMedic

weighted blanket

Has anyone here made a weighed blanket. I love the idea of them to help with anxiety and sleep but can't justify upwards of 100euro for them. Thinking of trying to make my own with 2 throws from Penny's, poly-pellets and a sewing machine. Any tips? Idea? Thoughts?
Advertisement
18-12-2018, 19:53   #2
New Home

Maybe some small fishing weights (leads? or whatever they're called) sewn in would help, too.

Many, many, many years ago my gradmother made a feather bed (for lack of a better word) out of years of chicken feathers kept aside for that purpose - it's like a giant pillow that's the length of a single bed, I'd say it weighs over 15 kilos. It feels a bit heavy when you sleep under it at first, but it's incredibly cosy and it's actually very comfortable. Maybe don't go to that extent, but maybe using a few feather pillows to make a duvet would work. Otherwise, old-fashioned woollen blankets are quite heavy, too.
Thanks from:
04-06-2019, 10:16   #3
ErikaDeanda

I see a lot of people sharing their homemade weighted blankets, sorry but I doubt sewing technique. If you don't want to see the leaked beads the next day you use it, you can choose some weighted blanket brands that you can trust. I think the current price is very reasonable, the quality is very good, and the value for money.
19-06-2019, 06:29   #4
Graces7

The knitted blanket I just finished( see thread) is actually very heavy and may serve that purpose. I made it from thick mohair mix used double on finer needles than usual. Happy to pass it on.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion