Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-06-2019, 11:04   #61
cruizer101

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
Eh, that is pretty poor for a smart thermostat so IMO
I'd agree its not the best in that it doesn't allow for full level of control (it may be something they are looking into and could be implemented via software update).

If someone is buying I wouldn't necessarily recommend it but as a free unit I'm happy with it, the main thing I like is being able to boost on my way home so house is warm when I get home.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-06-2019, 11:11   #62
loyatemu

it seems to be aimed at people who have no heating controls other than on/off and no zones. So it's literally just "better than nothing", but it is free, and anything more complicated would not be.
11-06-2019, 14:01   #63
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyatemu View Post
it seems to be aimed at people who have no heating controls other than on/off and no zones. So it's literally just "better than nothing", but it is free, and anything more complicated would not be.
Well that would be me, single zone, no hot water zone, simple on/off. Yet my Netatmo allows for fine grained temperature control. I feel it is one of the most important benefits of smart thermostats.

A traditional setup was a separate timeclock and a thermostat, that worked together to give you some control, but could only do one temperature.

Later digital programmers, added more fine grained control of different temps at different times.

This seems to be a step back to the old ways of doing things. Which is strange, since there is no technical reason why it couldn't be done, even for a simple single zone setup. It is just a software feature afterall.
12-06-2019, 09:54   #64
deezell

Send a message via Skype™ to deezell
I think its worth repeating some of my post on this in March 2018 , Home heating Automation Thread.

........ It's €249 to buy and self install which puts it right up there price wise, yet there's no mention of HW control, no Opentherm for advanced boilers, no Alexa, Google home , Apple homekit or IFTTT integration. It's a simple device at an advanced price.
It doesn't need a bridge to connect to the router, meaning it uses standard Wi-Fi. Battery powered stats normally use a very lo power radio link to their router hub/ bridge in order to get reasonable life. Nest uses normal WiFi and requires either a small phone style charger or power down the wires from it's heatlink box. This stat uses a battery, but it's rechargeable. How does it stay charged? My guess is it siphons power from the open circuit voltage of the heating relay. When the boiler is off, in a 2 wire system there will be 220v ( or possibly 24v dc) across the contacts. This can be used to power a charging circuit. When the contacts are closed it goes to battery power. As closed contacts means the boiler is firing, this period will only be in short bursts, battery charging resuming when the contacts open. Very clever......

Its a useful but very simple electronic thermostat, with internet access, but it hardly qualifies as smart, and if it is been offered 'free', it's only because the suppliers are availing of the very substantial grant which is available, and which they must be collecting as they are taking your MPRN. The problem I have with this is that it is a single thermostat substitution, I don't see how it qualifies for the zoning requirements of the grant, it only really (barely) meets the automation part. Its been a while since I studied the grant requirements, but I was under the impression that the upgrade required control of at least two zones, one of which could be HW.
If you use up your MPRN you can't subsequently get a real smart heating upgrade, as your grant money is gone. So if you decide you'd like a smart and zoned system, say the Drayton Kit3 3 zone two stat+hw system which retails less than the Hub controller, then you wont be able to defray the slighty higher installation costs and possibibly some plumbing costs as your grant dough is gone.
12-06-2019, 10:06   #65
jmBuildExt

Its not part of the regular seai home owner grants for improving efficiency. Otherwise, as you say single zones wouldn't qualify. Also the homeowner would have to be part of the application to seai, even if the company were claiming it on their side... The company have said this themselves.

But....They are being funded by seai according to what people have said in prev posts. Obviously somebody has to be paying for it... It sounds very much like they are carrying out research/gathreing data on single zone systems (or as mentioned, homes with 2 zones operating as one).
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 10:15   #66
cruizer101

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezell View Post
if it is been offered 'free', it's only because the suppliers are availing of the very substantial grant which is available, and which they must be collecting as they are taking your MPRN.
Have you any reference for this?
There was no mention of anything like that when they were installing it and I can see nothing in the terms and conditions that would indicate that.
Will try upload copy of the t&c I signed on installation later.

Edit: hadn't seen jmBuildExt reply before posting this
12-06-2019, 11:47   #67
deezell

I'd like to be wrong about this. The 'free' stats offered by the power utilities also are part of some deal with SEAI. I presumed it used up your grant, but I don't know if subscribers have to fill in an official seal grant form or if the electricity providers cover all that on their behalf. With non grant aided quotes for say a NEST install running to a grand, there must be some grant money added to this. The utilities wouldn't pony out that kind of money just to get your business for a year or two.
12-06-2019, 12:16   #68
bk

Unfortunately the link to the PDF on the SEAI site is broken!

AFAIR, the last time I looked at it, the grant was up to €700, but it included different levels. It included different levels of grant for different system types and €700 being for a full multizone system, but lower amounts for a simple single zone "smart" system like this.

Makes sense, as not every home needs multizone, (e.g. an apartment) and not every home needs hot water control (e.g. combi boilers separately control hot water, electric immersion, solar water, etc).

That is how the Energia offer a free Netatmo thermostat, despite being single zoned and no hotwater control:
https://www.energia.ie/cosy-homes/netatmo-offers

Quote:
Your system must be a single zone system that is capable of being upgraded to a system that qualifies as Entry Level Heating Controls with Remote Access according to SEAI’s Code of Practice and Standards and Specifications Guidelines.
I'd assume this Hub Controller falls under the same grant. It is clear from the Hub website that they are using the same grant since they ask these questions:
Was your house built before 2007?
Have you ever received a free smart thermostat from your energy provider?

The above questions being requirements for the SEAI heating controls grant.
12-06-2019, 12:36   #69
deezell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk View Post
Unfortunately the link to the PDF on the SEAI site is broken!

AFAIR, the last time I looked at it, the grant was up to €700, but it included different levels. It included different levels of grant for different system types and €700 being for a full multizone system, but lower amounts for a simple single zone "smart" system like this.

Makes sense, as not every home needs multizone, (e.g. an apartment) and not every home needs hot water control (e.g. combi boilers separately control hot water, electric immersion, solar water, etc).

That is how the Energia offer a free Netatmo thermostat, despite being single zoned and no hotwater control:
https://www.energia.ie/cosy-homes/netatmo-offers

I'd assume this Hub Controller falls under the same grant. It is clear from the Hub website that they are using the same grant since they ask these questions:
Was your house built before 2007?
Have you ever received a free smart thermostat from your energy provider?

The above questions being requirements for the SEAI heating controls grant.
Bottom line, it's not worth the grant money or the €299 being asked for it here say,

https://www.build4less.ie/the-hub-controller.html
Drayton Wiser Kit 1 stat is half the price and full of smart features.
Tado v3 is €199, fully smart featured.Tado is the same simple install, 2 wires swap. Get an installer to pop it in and sign the grant form, should work out free, but goid luck with that.
Seai link btw is missing the .pdf at the end iirc, so copy and paste it, then add the missing bit before hitting return.

Last edited by deezell; 12-06-2019 at 17:24.
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 17:03   #70
bk

It is a pity that Drayton, Tado, etc. don't take advantage of the grant like the Hub Controller have.

Nest, Netatmo and Hive are all indirectly available for free or at reduced cost via various Gas companies.
12-06-2019, 17:21   #71
ted1

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezell View Post
I'd like to be wrong about this. The 'free' stats offered by the power utilities also are part of some deal with SEAI. I presumed it used up your grant, but I don't know if subscribers have to fill in an official seal grant form or if the electricity providers cover all that on their behalf. With non grant aided quotes for say a NEST install running to a grand, there must be some grant money added to this. The utilities wouldn't pony out that kind of money just to get your business for a year or two.
They claim your savings as mandated by Europe.
https://ec.europa.eu/energy/en/topic...ative-measures

https://www.seai.ie/energy-in-business/energy-efficiency-obligation-scheme/

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion