Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History and Structure of Irish Education Exam for foreign-trained teachers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

See here DM73
    spurious wrote: »
    Notes now here:
    http://www.dublin1850.com
    Click on the link on the right-hand side of the page to download.

If you search back through this thread someone has posted sample questions.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nicoletapantea

Hello
    I am sitting the exam in few weeks time. can anyone help a bit with more informations?

thank you

Hello
    I am sitting the exam in few weeks time. can anyone help a bit with more informations?

thank you

See the link for essay.... http://www.dublin1850.com

Look back through the thread for sample questions. or find out from the exams office in the university you are doing the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sophia13

Hi there!

Did anyone had this H&S Test recently? Could you write questions and describe it a bit.. I'll have mine in April and don't know what to expect.

Thank you all!

sophia13 wrote: »
    Hi there!

Did anyone had this H&S Test recently? Could you write questions and describe it a bit.. I'll have mine in April and don't know what to expect.

Thank you all!

Find out what college you are doing it in then go look for past papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Galwaypest wrote: »
    I am teaching over in the U.K. and am due to sit the exam in November. I have John Coolahan's book, but it doesn't seem to address all the possible topic questions that may appear in the exam! Please help me

nmafox wrote: »
    Hello, I am just wondering if anyone would have the book " Irish Education History & Structure " by John Coolahan that they want to part with, or if they could recommend anything I should be reading to prep for this. if I only studied that book I wonder would it be enough
    John Coolahan's book is fairly comprehensive, but I'm not sure what level of detail they require. Can you access past papers to see the sort of questions?
    martins8 wrote: »
    I was wondering if the answers to these questions or to every question they can ask at the exam are to find in the book of John Coolahan. Or there is other notes or something to prepare the exam? I mean other books or webpages where the information is avaliable?

Poor John Coolahan has just passed away. I thoroughly enjoyed his history of Irish education - it really brought home how tough the lives were of teachers for so, so long. Even before I got my first post-qualification job, it made me conscious of how important a strong union is in order to prevent a return to those days.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

Tributes paid to John Coolahan, the ‘father of Irish education’: Kerry-born teacher was pivotal figure in Irish education for more than 50 years

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bet of luck with registration! Once you're in you can look forward to a host of benefits that TC registration bestows! Each year you get to give them €65, and for this you will receive....

... a cheap plastic card with a number on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

It's not even a card, it's a poorly laminated piece of paper.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    It's not even a card, it's a poorly laminated piece of paper.

Well hopefully they saved some money on it so they can use all the money to... book Ryan Tubridy for the next annual teacher expo thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you've ever been to their offices, the bang of fresh flowers and posh coffee would knock you out.
    Great to see our money put to such good use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 sophia13

patsie123 wrote: »
    Hi, the Teaching Council requires me to sit this exam in May as I am a secondary teacher who trained in England. I was wondering

a) Has anyone sat this exam and if so how hard is it?
    b) How much would you be expected to write for each question?
    c) How many of the titles on the reading list do you need to study to prepare for the exam?

Thanks!

Well, you will need to ask them to forward you list of books,articles and questions from previous years.

There will be lots of reading involved as there were many reforms during Irish educ.history..especially focus on past 15-20 yrs regarding reforms and curriculum.

I sat this exam in April,and for each question wrote 3 pages...maybe 4. Its not bad at all. Personally it was bit harder for me,as english is not my first language. Overall, took me few months,due to fact that I work full hours so I could do only 2-3 hrs every day. I would recommend you to take down all important info and try to put them in essay form before you sit exam,just to make sure you know what to write under each heading.

Cheers and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AliD_1984

Hi guys! I am sitting the exam in November and am trying to organise myself for study! If anyone still has their notes would you mind emailing them to me? One member has kindly already done so.

Thanks in advance,

• Registered Users Posts: 4 talboy73

Hi @AliD_1984 Did you sit the exam? Hope it went well.
    I am hoping to do the next sitting and trying to study but the subject is so broad!
    Any tips?
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dm73

hugs&xxx wrote: »
    Hey i sat the exam last november. I did the PGCE too and had to send all my documents for recognition before they allowed me to sit it. They still havent registered me its such a long process and they require so much paperwork!
    All the past exam questions are on their website. For each essay you are expected to write around 2/3 pages so I just wrote anyting I know on that topic and did enough to pass. I only studied for around a week before the exam and it was enough to pass.
    The book History and Structure of Irish education system by John coolihan has all the information in it. I have a copy of it if anyone wants it so pm me if you need any other help on the exam, or send a reply and I could always post it to you I dont need it now anyway!

Hey! Do you still have that book?! I am interested in gettg a copy! Darren. Did you read it all in detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jimob67

I am sitting for the History and Structure Exam this Saturday. I have been reading a couple of books and a few articles. If anyone has any notes for the exam they can share with me that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 talboy73

jimob67 wrote: »
    I am sitting for the History and Structure Exam this Saturday. I have been reading a couple of books and a few articles. If anyone has any notes for the exam they can share with me that would be great.
    @jimob67

There's a good summary of landmark changes since 1960 in Coolahan's speech 'Address by Professor John Coolahan at the Launch of the Forum on Patronage and Pluralism in the Primary Sector'. It's on education .ie, Sorry can't give you link, this site won't let me. It focuses on Primary, but there's crossover with Secondary.

I'm hoping the shorter reading list that was provided along with exam registration is guide to what to study rather than the full list on the website.
    "Regarding readings lists, we would suggest reading texts from John Coolahan (Towards the Era of Lifelong Learning: A History of Irish Education, 1800-2016 and/or Irish Education: History and Structure 1981/2000); Seamas Ó Buachalla (Church and State in Irish Education in this Century); Thomas A. O’Donoghue (Catholicism and the Curriculum: The Irish Secondary School Experience, 1922-62), and Barney O’Reilly (Education Policy in Ireland since the 1940s)."

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jimob67

I have the Towards the Era book. Thank you for the other items. I am approaching it as a sort of mock this first time. I have until 2021 to pass it. I will look for the speech on line. Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The link here is working again. Apologies for the down time.
    http://dublin1850.com/HistIrishEd.doc doc file will download if you click the link

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wifeyjmoore

The link here is working again. Apologies for the down time.
    doc file will download if you click the link

I'm curious as to whether this doc link is a copy of someones essay, or a resource??? If a resource, what is the title of the book/ publication?

I'm curious as to whether this doc link is a copy of someones essay, or a resource??? If a resource, what is the title of the book/ publication?

No idea. Someone here was emailing it to people on request and it was easier for them if it was uploaded to a site, so I threw it up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 breigin

I have some handwritten notes that got me through the exam. If anyone needs them send a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lyndad

Hi I was hoping you would be able to email the notes for the exam . I am taking the exam now in November and would appreciate the help

Lynda

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ArtMat

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone could email me notes or study material for the History and Structure of Irish Education Exam?
    I have to sit the exam in a few weeks :(
    Thanks A Lot!!!!

Artur

Read the thread.
    Seriously, there is a link a few posts above you.
    Research skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ArtMat

sorry about that...
    thanks for a link!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hatchd

This whole process is quite an ordeal, I think I started nearly 2 years ago (forms, emails, flying to Ireland for face to face meetings with the teaching council & formal letters).

Nearly finished, just this exam to go now.

I have looked but can anyone confirm if the exam is open book or if i can use a laptop? It has been years since I have written anything substantial by hand.

Much appreaciated for the book recomendations 'Coolahan' & the notes 'spurious'.

If anyone has any further recomendations I'd be delighted to hear from you.

Good luck to all starting out on the process.

David

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭openup

The exam is an exercise in beaurocracy. I felt really sorry for the people doing it with me who had pages or even folders of their own notes! I had the notes from this thread and 2 sample essays from a firend. Read all that about a week before and the day of. One of my answers wasn't even relavant to the question. I just rambled about the church. Wrote just over a page for each question. I think they just want to know that you have a good level of English/can write something that vaguely resembles a 3rd level essay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 joelato23

Hey fellow educators,

Looking to take the exam by the end of this year. Thanks spurious for your notes.

Would anyone have access or can direct me to a digital version of Coolahan's book?
    Any other book/study guide recommendations would be appreciated too. 👍🏼

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JackieO44

Hi Everyone!

If anyone has notes for this exam that they are still willing to share, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Jackie

• Advertisement

Still on the previously mentioned website

Advertisement