Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garracha/Garotcha and the Doma Vaquera

Options
  • 07-06-2019 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭

In the mid 14th century a highly skilled Spanish Cavalry originated to combat the moors. Their tactic was to hover around their opponent and annoy them until they broke formation or gave ground. And when they saw a break or weakness in the line they charged.

A fresco painting of the Battle of La Higueruela in 1431 shows the Jinetes fighting the Moors.

From this evolved the Doma Vaquera (spanish cowboy dressage). They use a garracha (long pole).

After time it evolved into an art form.

With the Garrocha

Also I have seen Doma Vaquera used a lot in bullfighting on horseback but I didn't post it because i didn't want to offend or upset anyone. I know it can be upsetting. From a horsemanship point of view though it was really something.

I worked in a stable in Spain one summer and i used to see the vaquero saddle a lot. Never tried riding with one though.

Here is a woman using a Garrocha WITH NO BRIDLE :)

In spain they give performances with Doma Vaquera and flamenco a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

jinetes-en-la-batalla-de-higueruela.jpg

Here is part of a fresco painting for the Battle of La Higueruela!

Made me think more of military riding skills etc.

Advertisement