Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bloomberg no longer available on free channels.

Options
  • 04-05-2019 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

During the financial crisis, Bloomberg was perhaps the best source of information regarding the IMF coming to Ireland. Irish ministers were on RTE denying the IMF were in the country but the opposition pointed out that this news was available to everyone via Bloomberg (and some other channels). I am not sure if politics is at play in the removal of Bloomberg from the free-to-air list (probably not) but if it is, then it may be an early warming of turbulent times ahead.

Either way, I think alternative media is helpful, especially in times of crisis. Without Bloomberg, I think RT may be a good fallback. Am I wrong?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They've removed the SD version, that's all. Its still free in HD

Sorry if that ruins your insane little agenda. You just need to replace your decade+ old equipment; DVB-S2 boxes are available for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

L1011 wrote: »
    They've removed the SD version, that's all. Its still free in HD

Sorry if that ruins your insane little agenda. You just need to replace your decade+ old equipment; DVB-S2 boxes are available for a tenner.

Handy tip. I still use an old box tv (cathode ray tube) that weighs about 8 stone. I avoid buying media stuff and stuff in general but get good value from it when I do. Anyone interested in saving the planet and a few bob would be well advised to adopt the same strategy. My old tv had a big carbon footprint when it was manufactured so it needs a long working life to mitigate against that.

As for my insane little agenda, I am not convinced by mainstream commentary that the economic outlook is not too bad. It has never been worse!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your old TV will be using tens to hundreds of times the power to run than a modern TV

L1011 wrote: »
    Your old TV will be using tens to hundreds of times the power to run than a modern TV

No so sure. I recall some years back when the flat screen tvs were new, it was reported they used more electricity than the old tvs. They probably have become more efficient since then but replacing the old tv with a new one would have to take into account the carbon footprint of manufacturing and delivering the new tv vs the running cost of the old tv. By keeping the old tv for longer, I will hopefully get to leapfrog several tv generations of relative less efficiency for an ultra efficient model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

If you turn your satellite dish (assuming that's how you receive it) 9 degrees or so to the right (as viewed from behind), and lift it up a degree or so, then you will be able to receive it in SD from another satellite, you can tune it in on the following frequency:

11597.00 V 22000 5/6

That said, you better move quickly, as I am soon the politicians will take this one down too as soon as they notice?

• Advertisement

skallywag wrote: »
    If you turn your satellite dish (assuming that's how you receive it) 9 degrees or so to the right (as viewed from behind), and lift it up a degree or so, then you will be able to receive it in SD from another satellite, you can tune it in on the following frequency:

11597.00 V 22000 5/6

Thank you kindly sir.

Advertisement