Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-12-2018, 05:37   #1
Lion Killer

Masters abroad - Affordable options?

I did my undergraduate studies in the UK. Unfortunately the cost of a Masters degree combined with the cost of living make it such that I cannot afford it - £30K for the course fees alone at the places I was looking at.

I am looking for a degree along the lines of an MSc in Finance.

Some options that seem affordable and from well-regarded places:

Rotterdam (Course fees around 2K-2.5K) (Living costs not that high)
Lund (No fees)
Stockholm School of Economics
Copenhagen Business School
Groningen
Maastricht (No courses that suit me)

I am at the investigating stage and probably won't apply for at least a year but I am trying to get a better picture of the options available.

I was wondering if there was any anyone else looking at studying a masters at a business school abroad had any experiences to share?
Advertisement
26-12-2018, 05:44   #2
joeguevara

This post is not to annoy you but why do you feel the need to do a masters. Although it seems a must have when in university I have found it isn’t the added value that a lot of students think.

Would it be better to enter a graduate programmer and get work experience rather than spending a fortune on essentially another bit of paper? Just a thought before you get advice on your OP.
Thanks from:
26-12-2018, 06:36   #3
Lion Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguevara View Post
This post is not to annoy you but why do you feel the need to do a masters. Although it seems a must have when in university I have found it isn’t the added value that a lot of students think.

Would it be better to enter a graduate programmer and get work experience rather than spending a fortune on essentially another bit of paper? Just a thought before you get advice on your OP.
Bud, I have been finding it very difficult to get on a graduate scheme. The purpose of the masters would be to make it easier to get in the door and to progress from there.

I mean, if I could get in the door then I would probably not even do a masters at all. Here's the thing, if I can get a masters from a good business school to go with my undergraduate degree then I think this would strengthen my application a great deal when applying for things like graduate schemes, interships, off-cycle internships etc. Most of the people I would be applying vs. would only have an undergraduate degree. I think differentiating myself at the moment is a problem.

I feel like the masters would be like strengthening my hand greatly when it came to actually applying, even if I did not learn a massive amount from the degree itself.

I appreciate your post though and I know what you mean. The most difficult thing is getting relevant work experience. That's the part that is hard and frustrating to me.

Last edited by Lion Killer; 26-12-2018 at 07:27.
08-05-2019, 09:51   #4
citizen0215

The best and most probable answer here is a loan. Masters programs are typically not funded and scholarships are hard to come by.

It's an unfortunate situation and sucks, but there's not much that can be done.

I think the best solution though is to defer the admission and work for one year, save as much money as possible. Then, come back to school. That's probably the "easiest" solution.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion