Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Typo!!

• 17-01-2019 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

TV advert for Saturday's Irish Independent; last time I checked, Offaly only had one L.
    In fairness it does skip by quite quickly. For some reason it caught my eye.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pretty minor seeing as there are basically no subs left anywhere at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Recliner

L1011 wrote: »
    Pretty minor seeing as there are basically no subs left anywhere at this stage.

Sorry, I don't understand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

I believe that L1011 was referring more to the state of the industry. There are no 'properly trained' sub editors in the business these days. Typos like that would have been caught in the past due to the diligence of decent sub.

[but what a mistake!)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

Sub editors don't work on TV ads btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

dohboy wrote: »
    Sub editors don't work on TV ads btw.

Advert Writers, marketing team, advert buyers, graphic designers, Editors, directors, copywriters.... and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

I would have been reviewed by at least one of the editorial team - most likely the property editor (or whoever is doing that job) - prior to if being signed off.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

An offally bad mistake to make. Especially when people are countying on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Likely just the fault of some rushed motion graphics designer that input the text for the TV ad,
    but should have been checked by 'at least' one other person (usually brand/marketing manager) before signing it off.

Not too serious in the light of some tv ads being made today (Jillette).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Those who run these media forums are becoming more dependent on spell-checking functions on their computers.

Advertisement