Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any Wargamers?

• 29-03-2016 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there are any miniatures, boardgame or computer wargamers frequenting this forum. If so. what are your favourite formats and periods?

My own favourite periods would be French Revolutionary and Napoleonic (1792-1815) with WW2 as runner up.

I don't play miniatures as such but I've found a way to play Napoleonic miniatures rules on my PC. My favourite rules sets are Napoleon's Battles and Age of Eagles.

I don't play board games any more but I did play Avalon Hill's Russian Front and the Squad Leader/ASL series.

Currently on my PC I have the HPS/JTS Napoleonic Battles Series, Scourge of War: Waterloo, Scourge of War: Gettysburg, Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy, Combat Mission: Red Thunder, as well as Rome/Shogun/Napoleonic/Medieval Total War (modded). I also have The Operational Art of War and Command: Modern Naval/Air Operations.

Getting time to play the all is the problem...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I've 'played' Command: Modern Naval/Air Operations - thought it's a quite an in-depth sim, so describing it as a 'game' probably doesn't do it justice. I've been at conferences where it's been used to explore certain scenarios under discussion.

Aside from that AirLand Battle in its various iterations is good craic, and Panzer General for a bit of 'levity' :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yep, wargamer and modeller here, not a very good one but when I have time and money it's something I like to do. Current gaming period is 1650s Eastern Europe, called 'With Fire and Sword'. I'd highly recommend the period for anyone looking for something a little different in terms of history, it's also interesting for me because it leads up to the Siege of Vienna, which is where I usually live.

I like Napoleonic stuff too, but I'm not into obsessive detail of uniforms or lists, more so the battles.

WW2 of course and I do find WW1 very interesting but there is a dearth of material for it, especially if you are not into the Western Front

For computer games Total War, Hearts of Iron/EU 2 and Airland battle are great, I wish someone would combine the battles of AB with the campaigns of TW

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Jawgap wrote: »
    I've 'played' Command: Modern Naval/Air Operations - thought it's a quite an in-depth sim, so describing it as a 'game' probably doesn't do it justice.

Yes, it's pretty hard core. Like Harpoon...only it works. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

I like Napoleonic stuff too, but I'm not into obsessive detail of uniforms or lists, more so the battles.

Likewise. I know for example that French dragoon regiments had different colours for their facings, turnbacks etc, but I couldn't tell you which used which. I also wouldn't care if someone was gaming say, Marengo, but using post-1809 shakos on the Austrians, or using cuirassiers to represent the French heavy cavalry. To be fair, though, I think most Napoleonic gamers would think likewise.

Unfortunately Napoleonics seem to have a bad reputation for such levels of anal-retention, and I think that puts some people off what is otherwise a fascinating and colourful period.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

storker wrote: »
    Likewise. I know for example that French dragoon regiments had different colours for their facings, turnbacks etc, but I couldn't tell you which used which. I also wouldn't care if someone was gaming say, Marengo, but using post-1809 shakos on the Austrians, or using cuirassiers to represent the French heavy cavalry. To be fair, though, I think most Napoleonic gamers would think likewise.

Unfortunately Napoleonics seem to have a bad reputation for such levels of anal-retention, and I think that puts some people off what is otherwise a fascinating and colourful period.
    Yeah, there is so much interesting depth to the napoleonic period as it is, especially with all the german minor states and smaller countries involved, that going down to the nitty gritty is too much for me, particularly if you are interested in the whole war, rather than just a limited campaign or battle, I also simply don't have that much money :D

My personal favourite army from that time is the Bavarians with the distinct Raupenhelm

raupenhelm.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement