Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bitcoin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

You may have any rules you like for yourself. You would however be better doing your own research when it comes to assessing the the quality or history of my posts. There are plenty on this forum in plain view.

I remain of the opinion that BTC is not worthy financial instrument. To hold and articulate these does not require me to respond according to your wishes. I have given my reasons, which clearly do not suit you. You are free to air your own beliefs in any fashion you choose, it is a public forum and will, with luck, remain democratic into the future, unless taken over by the Bitcoin police.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

You may have any rules you like for yourself. You would however be better doing your own research when it comes to assessing the the quality or history of my posts. There are plenty on this forum in plain view.

I remain of the opinion that BTC is not worthy financial instrument. To hold and articulate these does not require me to respond according to your wishes. I have given my reasons, which clearly do not suit you. You are free to air your own beliefs in any fashion you choose, it is a public forum and will, with luck, remain democratic into the future, unless taken over by the Bitcoin police.

Who is this addressed to, me or Mickk? This is like talking to someone who won't make eye contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Interesting article from Forbes contributor on the topic

Testing Shiller's Nobel Prize Against The Bitcoin Bubble

Of course, this presupposes that Bitcoin is indeed in a bubble but I think that recent price gyrations show that it is, at the very least, showing the price behaviour of an asset in a speculative bubble. But here the interesting thing to me is something that Robert Shiller, joint winner of the Nobel for economics this year, has pointed out. That one of the things that pops speculative bubbles, one of the things that can actually prevent them forming, is people betting that it actually is a bubble. My contention is that if the Bitcoin market has an absence of these tools then that makes it more likely that we are indeed in a bubble.

Shiller’s basic point here is that in developed markets you can bet (speculate is the polite word) that the price of something will go down as well as up. That is, you can go short on stocks, buy a put option and so on. He then points out that you cannot do this with housing very well: and it’s the absence of that ability to go short the US housing market that allowed the housing market to get so out of hand. If there had been more people able to bet on falling prices then there would have been more people doing so. And the very existence of such speculation would have, if not popped, at least reduced the inflation of, the long only speculative bubble. This is why Shiller’s solution to this problem for the future is the creation of exactly those sorts of housing futures and options that would allow speculators to go short. And yes, this sort of research of his into financial markets is exactly why he got a share of this year’s Nobel.

Then we’ve this excellent little piece by Stephen Gandel. He goes off to test how easy or difficult it is to short Bitcoin. The answer is that it’s not easy, it’s not cheap and in at least one respect extraordinarily badly designed:
    Bitcoin Market In Sharp Correction, What Is Next? Panos Mourdoukoutas Panos Mourdoukoutas Contributor
    Bitcoin Gets Valued: Bank Of America Puts A Price Target On The Virtual Tender Samantha Sharf Samantha Sharf Forbes Staff
    Central Banker On Bitcoin, At Least With Tulipmania You Got a Tulip At The End Tim Worstall Tim Worstall Contributor
    Calling David Friedman, Redditors Providing Private Legal Enforcement Over Bitcoin Theft At Sheep Marketplace Tim Worstall Tim Worstall Contributor

With normal currency options you can choose to collect in whatever currency you are using to bet against another currency. So if you are betting the price of a euro will fall against a dollar, you can collect in dollars when the contract settles, thereby offsetting the fact that the euro just dropped in value.

You can’t currently do that with bitcoins. All of the bitcoin options and futures contracts are settled in bitcoins. This is a very bad deal. Because even if I end up with a bitcoin windfall, they will be worth a lot less when I convert them back into dollars.

That’s so badly designed that it is actually near useless as a speculative method of going short. But as a result of Gandel’s investigation we can see that there isn’t that market that Shiller would insist is necessary to prevent the forming of speculative bubbles. If you can’t short it efficiently then there is room for a bubble to grow.

This does not, of course, tell us that Bitcoin is in a bubble. That remains my opinion, that it is, but this particular test only tells us that one of the things that could or would prevent or pop a bubble is not present. That is a bubble is still possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Stamply

@Pedronomix, Absolutely excellent contribution...

I wonder how difficult it would be for someone to set up a business that made it easy to short BTC and how much money would they make...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Where is the value here? The value of gold is going up an up, the land no the moon was for sale, but whose was it to sell in the first place!
    Same for bit coin, its use is zero, and its valued against currency, which we keep printing because we don't have enough, this makes it a third stage utility, which doesn't exist. Its a certificatewhich we can all print. Of course the certificate carries weight, but the weight has no monetary value. It can only be traded out through itself. Yes it will make money for some. And how much a share is the imaginary non existent utility worth? Ask again, is it a bubble?!
    pedronomix wrote: »
    Interesting article from Forbes contributor on the topic

Testing Shiller's Nobel Prize Against The Bitcoin Bubble

Of course, this presupposes that Bitcoin is indeed in a bubble but I think that recent price gyrations show that it is, at the very least, showing the price behaviour of an asset in a speculative bubble. But here the interesting thing to me is something that Robert Shiller, joint winner of the Nobel for economics this year, has pointed out. That one of the things that pops speculative bubbles, one of the things that can actually prevent them forming, is people betting that it actually is a bubble. My contention is that if the Bitcoin market has an absence of these tools then that makes it more likely that we are indeed in a bubble.

Shiller’s basic point here is that in developed markets you can bet (speculate is the polite word) that the price of something will go down as well as up. That is, you can go short on stocks, buy a put option and so on. He then points out that you cannot do this with housing very well: and it’s the absence of that ability to go short the US housing market that allowed the housing market to get so out of hand. If there had been more people able to bet on falling prices then there would have been more people doing so. And the very existence of such speculation would have, if not popped, at least reduced the inflation of, the long only speculative bubble. This is why Shiller’s solution to this problem for the future is the creation of exactly those sorts of housing futures and options that would allow speculators to go short. And yes, this sort of research of his into financial markets is exactly why he got a share of this year’s Nobel.

Then we’ve this excellent little piece by Stephen Gandel. He goes off to test how easy or difficult it is to short Bitcoin. The answer is that it’s not easy, it’s not cheap and in at least one respect extraordinarily badly designed:
    Bitcoin Market In Sharp Correction, What Is Next? Panos Mourdoukoutas Panos Mourdoukoutas Contributor
    Bitcoin Gets Valued: Bank Of America Puts A Price Target On The Virtual Tender Samantha Sharf Samantha Sharf Forbes Staff
    Central Banker On Bitcoin, At Least With Tulipmania You Got a Tulip At The End Tim Worstall Tim Worstall Contributor
    Calling David Friedman, Redditors Providing Private Legal Enforcement Over Bitcoin Theft At Sheep Marketplace Tim Worstall Tim Worstall Contributor

With normal currency options you can choose to collect in whatever currency you are using to bet against another currency. So if you are betting the price of a euro will fall against a dollar, you can collect in dollars when the contract settles, thereby offsetting the fact that the euro just dropped in value.

You can’t currently do that with bitcoins. All of the bitcoin options and futures contracts are settled in bitcoins. This is a very bad deal. Because even if I end up with a bitcoin windfall, they will be worth a lot less when I convert them back into dollars.

That’s so badly designed that it is actually near useless as a speculative method of going short. But as a result of Gandel’s investigation we can see that there isn’t that market that Shiller would insist is necessary to prevent the forming of speculative bubbles. If you can’t short it efficiently then there is room for a bubble to grow.

This does not, of course, tell us that Bitcoin is in a bubble. That remains my opinion, that it is, but this particular test only tells us that one of the things that could or would prevent or pop a bubble is not present. That is a bubble is still possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Hey Mickk

I never actually had a Lamborghini in the first place and if I had and wished to sell it, from my posts on here it should be pretty obvious that I would never have accepted BTCs in payment. So I never lost the 80K, it was just a bad dream.....

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Stamply wrote: »
    @Pedronomix, Absolutely excellent contribution...

I wonder how difficult it would be for someone to set up a business that made it easy to short BTC and how much money would they make...

http://www.spreadex.com/financials/trade-bitcoin/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Hey Mickk

I never actually had a Lamborghini in the first place and if I had and wished to sell it, from my posts on here it should be pretty obvious that I would never have accepted BTCs in payment. So I never lost the 80K, it was just a bad dream.....

Peter

I understand that Peter, I was going along with your hypothetical scenario. My point was that no matter what you choose to hold your wealth in, USD, EUR, bitcoin, land, property, business's, stock, gold, it's at risk to fluctuation, while you might think that the fluctuations of bitcoin are outside of what you want to risk holding your money in I was making the point that the systems you so highly value (government backed currencies) can be susceptible to even greater fluctuations and even complete failure (Zimbabwe dollars just aren't used any more).

Pedronomix, you can short sell on a few sites, btc-e.com is the most popular, you might not be able to settle in a different currency but you can sell pretty much instantly after you settle.

I only posted the Forbes piece on here as I thought it gave some quite balanced perspective on a topic that seemed to be getting rather heated and offered some comments worthy of consideration. Sadly it was not my work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Same for bit coin, its use is zero, !

wait, you're saying Bitcoin has no use? Bitcoin has many uses already and the potential for uses we haven't even dreamed of yet.

Regarding the Lamborghini example, was this a hypothetical example? as I'm not sure if you're aware but there is an actual Lamborghini dealership accepting Bitcoin for payment, and someone bought a Tesla there already: http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/cars/bitcoin-used-for-tesla-model-s-purchase-at-lamborghini-dealership-1.6568853

It's depressing that on the "Entrepreneurial" forum of all places people are dismissing Bitcoin without seemingly understanding it, instead of being curious and wondering about the business possibilities it could bring.

• Advertisement

alb wrote: »
    It's depressing that on the "Entrepreneurial" forum of all places people are dismissing Bitcoin without seemingly understanding it, instead of being curious and wondering about the business possibilities it could bring.

Despite it's growth, BTC is only beginning to enter the general public awareness. It's rare people who will both welcome a radical new idea as early adopters and further build on that to develop a business. I've no doubt some of those people will be Irish, and possibly Boards.ie users- but it might be a little too early to expect a warm welcome for our favourite crypto-currency. On the upside, this means lots of low hanging fruit if you happen to have a good idea.

alb wrote: »
    wait, you're saying Bitcoin has no use? Bitcoin has many uses already and the potential for uses we haven't even dreamed of yet.

Regarding the Lamborghini example, was this a hypothetical example? as I'm not sure if you're aware but there is an actual Lamborghini dealership accepting Bitcoin for payment, and someone bought a Tesla there already: http://www.newsday.com/classifieds/cars/bitcoin-used-for-tesla-model-s-purchase-at-lamborghini-dealership-1.6568853

Interesting post. There was much hyped widespread coverage of the fact that a Lamborghini dealer was accepting bit coins, it worked. However it only resulted in the sale of a Telsa but the Lambo was the news headline grabber! But it would would seem to me that it is pretty clear what the motivation was and what interests lay behind the stunt.

Your comment about the nature of the responses to the topic on a business and enterprise forum would lead me to guess that as you earn your living as a software engineer, rather than as a small business owner. I of course could be wrong and if I am I apologise in advance.

Your comment about the nature of the responses to the topic on a business and enterprise forum would lead me to guess that as you earn your living as a software engineer, rather than as a small business owner. I of course could be wrong and if I am I apologise in advance.

He may be. I'm certainly much more a tech person and don't have much of a business mind. I suspect that trend would be common among BTC adopters. The question is whether ignorance of business and economics is the key influence driving adoption or whether it's better understanding of the tech. Probably both to some degree. There's a compelling elegance to BTC, and it's track record for utility (limited as it might be) and security is incredibly encouraging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Mickk wrote: »

Someone moved bitcoin worth 147 million the other day and didn't pay a penny transaction fees...

Moved it where?

I can move money between bank accounts and pay no transaction fees.

relaxed wrote: »
    Moved it where?

I can move money between bank accounts and pay no transaction fees.

Not internationally you can't.

He may be. I'm certainly much more a tech person and don't have much of a business mind. I suspect that trend would be common among BTC adopters. The question is whether ignorance of business and economics is the key influence driving adoption or whether it's better understanding of the tech. Probably both to some degree. There's a compelling elegance to BTC, and it's track record for utility (limited as it might be) and security is incredibly encouraging.

Most of the attraction appears to be to the buyer rather than the business seller. Until that balance is is evened out to offer equally to both sides of a trade, business suppliers and consumer customers/buyers, the chances of widespread adoption are up there with student politics, very vocal, theoretically very compelling, very strongly held but ultimately, they grow up and out of them. Those that do not, end up as Tanaiste!

Not internationally you can't.

So if you switching bitcoin from euro to Usd, to pay for something in china for example show me how it's cheaper.

Pretty sure you can move money to other euro bank accounts around the world for modest fees.

Like if you're moving 147 million, then bank fees of €30 or €40 will hardly bother you.

So if you switching bitcoin from euro to Usd, to pay for something in china for example show me how it's cheaper.

The idea is not to exchange it, but to spend it in BTC. If you can do that, it doesn't matter where the buyer and seller are located. Exchanging is just a compromise we have to make now while we wait for businesses to catch up.

Most of the attraction appears to be to the buyer rather than the business seller.

You think so? The non-reversible transactions seem to favour the seller more, since payment is typically confirmed before service or product is provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Interesting post. There was much hyped widespread coverage of the fact that a Lamborghini dealer was accepting bit coins, it worked. However it only resulted in the sale of a Telsa but the Lambo was the news headline grabber! But it would would seem to me that it is pretty clear what the motivation was and what interests lay behind the stunt.

No need to apologise, you're right I'm coming from a technical background, which makes it easier for me to understand. I appreciate that everyone doesn't have this interest or background, but my interest in Bitcoin goes way beyond the technical aspect (though it is technically amazing!), it's led me to explore what money really is, why gold emerged as the best natural resource to behave as money and why Bitcoin may be the best built-for-purpose money.

I'm not a small business, but I understand they have much to gain from Bitcoin, perhaps more than their customers do - low fees, no chargebacks, no need to handle private payement data of the customer. I saw this thread earlier and the answer to lower fees may be Bitcoin, it's possible right now, with just an android tablet or phone to take payments, but the vendor would be exposed to the price volatility of Bitcoin and technical risk of keeping it securely. Bitcoin is still the wild west at the moment, but as the Tesla sale shows, many of the people who now find themselves wealthy with Bitcoin want to start spending it directly, and they'll choose the merchants that will accept it.

It's up to merchants to decide for themselves whether they want to learn to accept Bitcoin directly right now, use a third party payment processor (which introduces a middle man) such as bitpay which would convert the payments to dollars straight away, or wait until the whole thing is a bit more mature, and less volatile, and the prospect of using it up the supply chain directly may exist. I get that it's not suitable for everyone yet, but don't feel that it will always be the case.

• Advertisement

The idea is not to exchange it, but to spend it in BTC. If you can do that, it doesn't matter where the buyer and seller are located. Exchanging is just a compromise we have to make now while we wait for businesses to catch up.

And therein lies the crux for business. They need to pay their suppliers and a myriad of other costs from wages to freight, electricity, rates, insurance etc etc etc. and add in the value risk. All of this would far out-weigh even the punitive credit card and money conversion/ transmission fees currently levied.

It has a very long way to go before it becomes a mainstream business tool, the damage being done to its reputation at present is likely to to be mortal over time.

I think it will be a victim of first to market but it's legacy will be to have demonstrated the need and demand for better, faster and cheaper digital payment systems. Just like Bebo, pets.com and boo.com, they were over hyped and ahead of their time, but did the trailblazing. The next lot of frontiersmen modified their models and have made massive global enterprises from the same basic concepts!

You think so? The non-reversible transactions seem to favour the seller more, since payment is typically confirmed before service or product is provided.

Good businesses have nothing to fear from normal justifiable transaction reversals, only the fraudulent ones. They afford the buyer an important level of security, especially as there are so many scam sites out there making offers to that are literally too good to be true. Proper businesses want customers to come back time and again. Wining new customers online is very expensive, keeping them as customers is how you will make money from their business and that means you have to be very good at what you do!

But it doesn't cost anything at the moment, for most of u,s to do normal online bank transfers, at least not within your own country, or even across the EU AFAIK, so I don't see what bitcoin will do for the vast majority of business transactions.

If I go to a restaurant on a Saturday night how are they going to accept bitcoin? I assume some sort of online terminal will be required = fees and charges.

Who is going to the develop all the software for businesses to adapt, ultimately there will be normal transaction fees associated with shops, bars and restaurants accepting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

There are a few points that I would like to pick up on.

First off money transfers. I agree that there are usually only very small fees if any applied to small euro transfers.
    However if you get into large amounts or transfers outside the Euro area substantial fees and delays apply.
    Bitcoin is also a big threat to the likes of Western Union who charge very high fees in comparison.

Secondly transaction reversals. Legitimate businesses absolutely have to worry about fraudulent charge backs. Customers who claim that goods never arrived or that goods were not as described. Bitcoin puts the seller in control of refunds.

Finally the cost involved in accepting Bitcoin. Basically there is none. I can post a Bitcoin address in this thread and ask you to send me a payment. There is no security implication of the address being public knowledge - it can only be used for payments. I can generate as many addresses as I wish in advance so I do not even need to be online to accept your payment. There is cost involved in exchanging Bitcoin for Euro but this should be seen the same as any other foreign currency exchange. If I accept USD for payment I will have fees if I want to change it to Euro. As Bitcoin gains popularity businesses will be able to pay suppliers and possibly even wages in Bitcoin removing much of the cost associated with exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

dkane wrote: »
    Secondly transaction reversals. Legitimate businesses absolutely have to worry about fraudulent charge backs. Customers who claim that goods never arrived or that goods were not as described. Bitcoin puts the seller in control of refunds.

In fairness this can be an advantage or a disadvantage.. Is it really unheard of that businesses are fraudulent?

To reword:

Legitimate customers absolutely have to worry about fraudulent sellers. Sellers who claim that goods were dispatched or that goods were as described. Bitcoin unfortunately puts the seller in control of refunds.

If anything the bias and complete denial of bitcoins weaknesses is the biggest turnoff of the currency IMO. These risks need to be accepted rather than ignored. For traditional currencies VISA, Mastercard and PayPal protect the customers. This is a service that is missing from bitcoins.

The flip side of this is that they charge a premium for this service. This is an advantage of bitcoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

Cliste wrote: »
    In fairness this can be an advantage or a disadvantage.. Is it really unheard of that businesses are fraudulent?

To reword:

Legitimate customers absolutely have to worry about fraudulent sellers. Sellers who claim that goods were dispatched or that goods were as described. Bitcoin unfortunately puts the seller in control of refunds.

If anything the bias and complete denial of bitcoins weaknesses is the biggest turnoff of the currency IMO. These risks need to be accepted rather than ignored. For traditional currencies VISA, Mastercard and PayPal protect the customers. This is a service that is missing from bitcoins.

The flip side of this is that they charge a premium for this service. This is an advantage of bitcoin.

An escrow service can be used to protect both buyer and seller. A mutually trusted third party basically holds the bitcoins until they confirm that the transaction took place. Once confirmed the payment is released to the seller.
    There are many escrow services available for bitcoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Do they charge for the service?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

dkane wrote: »
    An escrow service can be used to protect both buyer and seller. A mutually trusted third party basically holds the bitcoins until they confirm that the transaction took place. Once confirmed the payment is released to the seller.
    There are many escrow services available for bitcoin.

Who monitors and regulates the escrow services? Haven't there been cases where bitcoin processing/transfer companies have just vanished off the web?

Graham wrote: »
    Who monitors and regulates the escrow services? Haven't there been cases where bitcoin processing/transfer companies have just vanished off the web?

Yep- an escrow service requires a trusted party, whereas bitcoin was designed to function without one. Services using BTC such escrows, savings accounts, credi facilities etc. will all probably have to be subject to regulation, if only to build consumer trust.
    But it doesn't cost anything at the moment, for most of u,s to do normal online bank transfers, at least not within your own country, or even across the EU AFAIK, so I don't see what bitcoin will do for the vast majority of business transactions.

I can't speak on the balance of international versus EU/national transactions- but there's clearly great potential for companies that want to do international business. Even more so for companies dealing in digital products such as music, video and software. I wonder too whether multinational corporations might find it far easier to move money between their subsidiaries if they keep it in BTC. That would require much greater price stability than we're seeing today, mind you.
    If I go to a restaurant on a Saturday night how are they going to accept bitcoin? I assume some sort of online terminal will be required = fees and charges.

There are places (but none in Ireland that I know of) that accept bitcoin. They use tablet apps to display a QR code that the customer scans with their smart phone. No fees or charges aside from the measly 0.0001BTC network fee in the case of very small transactions.
    Who is going to the develop all the software for businesses to adapt, ultimately there will be normal transaction fees associated with shops, bars and restaurants accepting this.

There hasn't been so far, why would there be now? In a restaurant, I get my food before I pay. When I pay, I scan a QR code and once the restaurant gets confirmation, we're done. This is already up and running. Neither side pays fees to anyone.

If confirmation fails then it's the same situation as if I find my wallet empty or my Visa declined. I will find myself washing dishes I suppose.

To justify fees, a payment app would need to be offering some serious added value. Perhaps if an escrow type arrangement is needed, fees might be appropriate, but in the case described above that has never been necessary for cash so it isn't necessary for BTC either.

• Advertisement

Good businesses have nothing to fear from normal justifiable transaction reversals, only the fraudulent ones.

When I pay in cash, I must rely on the action of the company to reverse the transaction if needed. Why should it be different for BTC? If we want that sort of protection for the consumer, then BTC could be used within the context of services such as Paypal which would provide the transaction reversal function. But it's worth noting that BTC has partly grown in popularity because of seller frustrations relating to fraudulent transaction reversals, particularly with Paypal. Paypal have had many years to address this issue and haven't shown any signs of doing so.

Advertisement