Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washington Commanders thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Well thats pre season over and a 100% record for the redskins after a 30-12 win over tampa, i think rg3 has been given the all clear to start against the eagles too which is great so lets keep on winning boys:D HTTR!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Well thats pre season over and a 100% record for the redskins after a 30-12 win over tampa, i think rg3 has been given the all clear to start against the eagles too which is great so lets keep on winning boys:D HTTR!!

Never ever get excited by pre-season records. The 0-16 Detroit Lions in 2008 also went 4-0 in the preseason!

RGIII got the all clear from Andrews alright but as usual Shanahan made some cryptic comment about there being some concerns which they'll discuss over the weekend. Probably mind games to keep the Eagles thinking.

Hopefully Griffin is in on it as his relationship with Shanahan isn't great so if he hears that even after getting the all clear he still isn't being named as starter, he'll go mad!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Rg3 should not start the first 3 games, he should play the final 1/4 in each of the first 3 games to ease himself in....................................an absolute dickhead, thankfully Ive stopped following his tweets and I can get on with rooting them on though

Jaysus, now Andrews denying saying he has concerns about how the Redskins use Griffin. This is turning into a worse soap opera than A-Rod up in NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,407 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's all well and good RGIII saying he is fine. You can only find out for real in an actual regular season game environment. Until he plants his leg and twists it in real time it's an unknown.

• Advertisement

Rg3 should not start the first 3 games, he should play the final 1/4 in each of the first 3 games to ease himself in....................................an absolute dickhead, thankfully Ive stopped following his tweets and I can get on with rooting them on though

Don't see how he is a dickhead on his own. The skins as a team have made a utter balls of this whole thing to be fair now.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's all well and good RGIII saying he is fine. You can only find out for real in an actual regular season game environment. Until he plants his leg and twists it in real time it's an unknown.

That's it exactly. As soon as some big defensive lineman or linebacker flattens him, then he'll know if he's ready or not.

I know you're a Mets fan from the baseball threads but are you a Redskins fan too? It's a strange combination so odd that there's two of us following them both.

I know you're a Mets fan from the baseball threads but are you a Redskins fan too? It's a strange combination so odd that there's two of us following them both.

Nope eagles fan.

Nope eagles fan.

Equally odd...!!!

• Advertisement

Equally odd...!!!

Well the skins are playing the eagles week one. I don't like success do I ? Being a mets and eagles fan.

Well the skins are playing the eagles week one. I don't like success do I ? Being a mets and eagles fan.

I presume you're going bald at this stage with all the pulling out of your hair that goes with supporting teams that frustrate so much!

I presume you're going bald at this stage with all the pulling out of your hair that goes with supporting teams that frustrate so much!

Yeah although the eagles might have a bit about them this year. The mets not so much. I might watch tonight's game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Well... This sucks.

Raphael wrote: »
    Well... This sucks.

Yeah, they just weren't at the races at all. I gave up at half time and apparently it did get a bit better but not the way to start the season. And they have to go to the 0-1 Packers next who will be desperate to get a win so the Skins could easily be in an 0-2 hole.

It honestly seemed that the skins were asleep for the entire first half, if we had recovered the onside kick near the end we might have pulled it off

It honestly seemed that the skins were asleep for the entire first half, if we had recovered the onside kick near the end we might have pulled it off

Yeah, but that was a long shot. If we'd played the whole game like the second half, I think we could have won, but twas not to be.

I think not having a preseason really hurt RG3, he was pretty rusty out there last night. Plus he's still not fully using that leg.

Packers is gonna be tough now especially as they lost their first game too

Packers is gonna be tough now especially as they lost their first game too

And with the 0-1 Giants facing the Broncos, the Eagles and Cowboys have a chance to get a 2 game lead in the NFC East.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Packers are going to try knock the **** out of RG3. Whatever about him being rusty, it really looks like he shouldn't be playing on that knee. Leaving him until the bye might've been a good option.

• Advertisement

Masked Man wrote: »
    Packers are going to try knock the **** out of RG3. Whatever about him being rusty, it really looks like he shouldn't be playing on that knee. Leaving him until the bye might've been a good option.

Not only will the defence beat up Griffin, Rodgers is going to have a field day against the Redskins secondary. Michael Vick isn't in the same class as Rodgers and despite missing a few open men, was still able to tear them apart. Imagine what a great QB will be able to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Going to start following the NFL this year, used to watch it years ago when i got a cup with the redskins logo on it. Tell me what are peoples expectations of the redskins this year?

He ran fine, and got a couple of hits that would have jarred the knee at least, so I think it's broadly ok. The problem is that he's avoiding putting his weight on it when he throws.
    DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Going to start following the NFL this year, used to watch it years ago when i got a cup with the redskins logo on it. Tell me what are peoples expectations of the redskins this year?
    Right now, I don;t know what to expect. Redskins Offence didn't have a proper preseason, since RG3 was rested, so it'll take a game or two before we see their form.

If they play like they did in the first half of the eagles game for the season, we're screwed.
    If they play like they did in the second half, we might be ok.
    If they play like they did last season, making the playoffs again is a real possibility.

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Tell me what are peoples expectations of the redskins this year?

Up to about 11:55 on Monday night I was fairly confident of a good season where they'd challenge for the NFC East again and with a bit of luck and if they catch a break or two, they might do alright in the playoffs. However by about 1:30 Tuesday morning, I had to reconsider all that.

I know it's only one game but if they beat up by the Packers this week, they'll have to go 10-4 in the remaining games to have any chance of making the playoffs and that would be very difficult to do.

Having said that, they were 3-6 last year and went on to win 7 in a row but I don't think lightning will strike twice.

Have we any chance against the packers at the wkend? Whats the chance of us doing to them what the eagles did to us first half, the eagles never gave our defence a breather(is there a term for that is it blitzing)? Sorry im still not sure of half the termanology:confused:

Blitzing is the defensive strategy of rushing the quarterback with as many players as possible, in the hopes of making a sack. It has the downside that you have a hard time marking the pass receivers, or even running backs who go wide.

What the Eagles did was incredible, but hard to do and potentially a lot less tactical. For one thing, their offence was exhausted by the end of the game, and they've presumable been practicing this through the offseason, building up stamina - we might see other teams try it by the late season, or next year, but for now it's theirs -trying it without working on endurance will just lead to a very lackluster offence in the late game.

For another thing, no huddle means no private discussion about plays, and less planning. They played, formed up on the line of scrimmage (forcing the Redskins to line up quickly, then Vick called a play and they played it. No changing formations, unless it's planned way in advance, and all the plays are called in the open, where the defence can try and figure out what you're doing.

Have we any chance against the packers at the wkend?

Of course there's a chance but they're 7.5 point underdogs and considering the bookies generally set lines to entice people to gamble, they obviously think the packers will win by more.

But on the day, who knows? I'm not too confident but I'm not totally writing them off yet.

Raphael wrote: »
    Blitzing is the defensive strategy of rushing the quarterback with as many players as possible, in the hopes of making a sack. It has the downside that you have a hard time marking the pass receivers, or even running backs who go wide.

What the Eagles did was incredible, but hard to do and potentially a lot less tactical. For one thing, their offence was exhausted by the end of the game, and they've presumable been practicing this through the offseason, building up stamina - we might see other teams try it by the late season, or next year, but for now it's theirs -trying it without working on endurance will just lead to a very lackluster offence in the late game.

For another thing, no huddle means no private discussion about plays, and less planning. They played, formed up on the line of scrimmage (forcing the Redskins to line up quickly, then Vick called a play and they played it. No changing formations, unless it's planned way in advance, and all the plays are called in the open, where the defence can try and figure out what you're doing.

Cheers for that very informative;)

I only saw that game on the nfl site game centre if you can call watching graphics watching it but by god we are a shambles, less said the better, only plus is eagles and cowgirls lost too now lets just hope broncos whoop the giants

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

It was tough to watch.
    Signs of life again late in the game, but waytoo klittle too late.

It's a long season ahead wondering if rg3 is gonna show up

Advertisement