Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Defense forces - including the Navy - recruiting

• 03-04-2012 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

A couple of friends of mine in the Army and Navy have been posting links on facebook to the Defense forces website for a recruitment drive. Someone here might want a job in the navy or know someone who does

www.military.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

Nearly made the cross over from Merchant to Navy about 8 years ago.

So glad that I didn't now when I hear of how all the Navy boys lost all their chusty benefits and conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

they lost there sea going allowance???

More the retirement packages are nothing like they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

they lost there sea going allowance???

I understand the reasoning behind that allowance but it always makes me laugh out loud (and that has gotten me into a few arguments too) -- You join the NAVY and get paid extra to go to sea??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

I understand the reasoning behind that allowance but it always makes me laugh out loud (and that has gotten me into a few arguments too) -- You join the NAVY and get paid extra to go to sea??
    i know but the ****e ya have to put up with whilst out there they actually deserve the sea going allowance

• Advertisement

i know but the ****e ya have to put up with whilst out there they actually deserve the sea going allowance

What? Like swell etc...????

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Them navy ships roll like a bitch, god help them they would want extra money ;)

Anyway I hear none of the direct enteries lasted in the Navy, I was tempted by that too but never bothered and glad I didn't, the 2 year onshore rotation would do my head in :)

Bligh wrote: »
    Them navy ships roll like a bitch, god help them they would want extra money ;)

Anyway I hear none of the direct enteries lasted in the Navy, I was tempted by that too but never bothered and glad I didn't, the 2 year onshore rotation would do my head in :)

I know of a direct entry who is still there. Only one mind. Very glad i didn't go myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Them navy ships roll like a bitch, god help them they would want extra money :)
    Have you ever been on a ship that didn't roll?
    Its all part of beiing a sailor,take it or leave it.

Of course. I was taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Yes in dry dock didn't do much rolling in there, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Yes in dry dock didn't do much rolling in there, :D

Well that depends on how many you had in the local,before you come onboard;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I know of a direct entry who is still there. Only one mind. Very glad i didn't go myself.

Thats strange, I know of 4 at least of the people I went to college with/sat my 2nds with/sat my Chiefs with that went on to be direct entry.

I just checked FB and 3 of the 4 are still in the Navy and the 4th doesn't have a FB profile/I'm not linked to his FB profile so I can't check.

I don't think all the direct entries are dropping out - why would they, it seems to be an easier life in most ways than deep sea (better pay, conditions, home more often, less physical work) mind you the paperwork does seem to increase alright :(

Advertisement