Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Will be two years off them on Christmas eve cant believe I made it this far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

JillyQ wrote: »

Well done! Ill be 2 years off them New Years Day.

My boss just came by my desk after being out for a smoke and he smelled rank - always makes me think "thats how I used to smell"!!

Well done! Ill be 2 years off them New Years Day.

My boss just came by my desk after being out for a smoke and he smelled rank - always makes me think "thats how I used to smell"!!

I know that smell, but i have had one or two breakouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 copea2

Quit 2 months ago today. Didnt think I would last this long so very happy. Finding the last week that bit harder and have been having more cravings than normal. Probably just from being out for meals and drinks a bit more often cos its christmas. Bought some mints and chewing gum for when I get any cravings. I still read the posts here every so often as they really encourage you to keep going - think the 2014 new years resolution will be to take up jogging - something i couldnt have done this time last year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭metime

I accidentally came upon this thread and am glad I did. It is so great to see all of you making what I believe is a very positive change for your lives. I smoked for 13 years and gave up last year. It is one of the single best things i've ever one for myself and the changes are feeding through to the rest of my life and it is getting better and better. I do not feel gross in the morning, do not smell of cigarettes, can breathe, am appreciating my body, do not feel like my life is being leached away by a tobacco company, my bedroom and clothes do not smell of cigarettes (So disgusting) and I am not doing that horrendous throat clearing noise every couple of minutes.

If anyone is reading this and considering giving up or looking for motivation to give up, I feel it would help to share another part of my life in that my Dad has had a quadruple bypass, and nearly lost his legs due to smoking and artery blockages as a result. Admitedly he has a poor diet and has a few drinks regularly but I honestly think it's the smoking that did it. He can now hardly walk. The worst part is, despite the surgery, massive trauma it has caused us all and not to mention the cost of it all, over €40,000 in hospital bills so far, and many years of health, he is still taking nicotine tablets even though there is a warning on them not to if you've had heart trouble, and he doesn't seem to have any plans to stop taking them. He won't listen to anything any of us tell him.

From my heart to yours, if you are reading this as a smoker and looking for some inspiration please, give up before you get to this state. Especially if you have children - it feels like i've lost my dad to cigarettes many years ago and that is something that runs deep. Possible over share, but if it can help someone I would be glad to say it here.

copea2 wrote: »
    Quit 2 months ago today. Didnt think I would last this long so very happy. Finding the last week that bit harder and have been having more cravings than normal. Probably just from being out for meals and drinks a bit more often cos its christmas. Bought some mints and chewing gum for when I get any cravings. I still read the posts here every so often as they really encourage you to keep going - think the 2014 new years resolution will be to take up jogging - something i couldnt have done this time last year!

I gave up a year ago - am literally just back from a jog. Never thought I would be the type to go for a jog, at all.
    I have also since taken up cycling and yoga. It's amazing what doors open when you decide to make a positive choice for yourself. Well done on your hard work so far- :-)

JillyQ wrote: »
    I know that smell, but i have had one or two breakouts.

I remember someone getting up from beside me on the bus before and moving seat, and in the past year since giving up smoking - if someone sits down beside me who is a smoker I feel like doing the same. The smell is vile.

mariebeth wrote: »
    11 days today. Feeling pretty good, but had a couple of urges today, but they passed, and I got on with it. According to my app nearly €67 saved, so that's making me feel even better.

Sorry if it has been discussed here but what app is this? I know someone who would benefit! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

OMG My lungs are on fire hear Im not angry Im not on patches any more, IM just getting used to empty lungs but there just this kinks in my lower chest and it feels really weird in a good way...

I just miss smokes I more the phisical action and nope those electronic things never work for me either :/

I was bold i had a drag of a fag on Christmas day but that's because i cooked Christmas dinner for 6 people but I feel like a junkie clucking right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,280 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

metime wrote: »
    Sorry if it has been discussed here but what app is this? I know someone who would benefit! Thanks.

The app I use is called...sinceiQuit... it tracks the days weeks and years on one page, on the next page it tracks money not spent on cigarettes and number of cigarettes not smoked.

It was a great help for me. I use it on iPhone, The first thing I bought after giving up smoking from money I didn't spent on cigarettes.

I try not to say money saved just money not spent on smoking as I haven't saved a lot of it, but I have spent a lot of it on very nice stuff and a great holiday.

Oh yes and I'm two year today off them :) Two calendar years tonight at midnight :P

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eimerom

Good luck to everyone who quits cigs today, really hope it works out of you all. I had my last cig on 30th dec last year, can't believe I finally quit after many failed attempts. My Dad is 2 years off them and had to quit due to health reasons, he was an 80 a day man and had smoked for almost 50 years :eek: so if he could do it, anyone could and that was my thinking anyway but it worked.
    Good health and best wishes to you all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Go for it everyone! Go cold turkey and tell yourself no more cigs - if you really want to give up as opposed to thinking you want to give up this is the best way!

Off them 4 years, 4 months and still counting! Would still love one though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Just over 2 years one and unlike the previous poster, I wouldn't love one at all! I'm totally ambivalent to cigarettes now. The smell of fresh smoke is still nice, I don't mind people smoking around me, I don't like the stale smell of smoke off someone but none of it makes me want to smoke. If anything, when I think about it, I'm still mostly relieved that I'm free!

Best of luck to anyone quitting, if I knew then what I know now, I'd have quit years before!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭HistoryMania

Congrats to everyone who gave up and keep up the good work!

Think this is my third attempt in the past few months.

Has anyone read Allen Carr's ONLYWAY? Read EASYWAY a few times, but always end up back on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tried to quit and failed plenty of times before. Actually feel a bit of a fraud posting on here...

Decided on the spur of the moment not to have my first fag of the new year five days ago. Not because I 'wanted' to quit. More because I was just bored of smoking. I think I'd just had enough. Didn't have my second either. Around lunchtime I threw my remaining fags away. I counted 16 in a pack I'd opened the night before. Pulled the car over in a garage I'd usually stop in to buy the bloody things, fecked the box in the bin, and bought a bottle of water.

Although i have thought about smoking, I honestly haven't felt like having a smoke since. Food tastes great. I sleep much better and wake up before the alarm every day. I was out last night and a friend came back in after a smoke and my thought tbh was 'ffs, is that what I've smelled like for the last 25 years?!?' At this point, give days on I've had two significant realizations. First, I didn't think once today about having a smoke. Even at the do-called 'trigger moments'. Secondly, I've saved nearly 60 quid at this point.

I don't think I'll be going back on them at any point. I'm not sure why I can say that with any confidence, and as I said at the start of this post, I do feel a bit of a fraud. It's all too easy this time.

Looking forward to spending €5200 on something else this year! Best of luck to everybody else, New Years resolution, medical necessity, or just spur of the moment.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

quaalude wrote: »
    I've read this whole thread with interest - and it gave me the push I needed to quit, so thanks to all on the thread!
    I had a light rollie habit generally, turning thunderously heavy when boozing.

In the last while, I'd started to feel sorry for smokers, and embarrassed when I realized people probably felt sorry for me too!
    My partner smoked 30 (straights) a day, and gave up almost 2 years ago, so I thought if he can do it, anyone can. He never nagged me or got on my ass about giving up - he's of the belief that you need to really want to give up before you can successfully do it, a realization you must come to by yourself.

So I stopped 1 week ago, and it's going OK. I've even been to the pub once and had a couple of cans in the gaff and not smoked. I haven't used any nicotine replacement - I don't personally believe it in - just been sipping water when I want a fag in work, and playing guitar or tidying, chatting, whatever I can to take my mind off it when I want one at home. The wanting of one passes very quickly - it's just a flash, really. I had a bag of tobacco with me for the first 6 days (but no lighter or skins!), as comfort, but chucked it yesterday.

I did give up tea for the first few days - I read that it can make it easier if one gives up caffeine at the same time as caffeine can be a trigger. Big mistake! I was very emotional, even weeping in the jacks in work a few times! I blamed it on no fags, but decided to go back to tea 2 days ago and felt normal again. So for me, I guess my tea habit is worse than my fag habit! But that's a problem for another day!

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share my experience - I hope someone finds it helpful.

Just quoting my own post in this forum from 2 years ago. I stopped smoking exactly 2 years ago today, and above is a post I made 1 week after I stopped.

I haven't had so much as a drag in 2 years, and stopping spurred on all sorts of other healthy life changes for me.

So good luck to anyone starting to stop! You got this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Congrats to everyone who has quit smoking!

I quit smoking in October but went straight on the VIP e cig and "smoked" that as much as I was smoking before, wasn't weaning myself off. Ended up with 3 slip up sneaky fags.

I went on the e cig a month after a failed attempt to give up after reading the Allen Carr book, I lasted a whopping 6hrs, but I didn't follow the instructions properly.

So I quit cold turkey New Years day with my husband (he quit actual smoking) and I'm re-reading the book and it's really helping me.

I'm surprised at how well we are doing, we're on our 6th day and neither of us see us going back on them, we think about smoking a little less each day.

A few months ago neither of us could even conceive of the notion of us quitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I visited this site for the first time in February 2010. Three years later I still haven't smoked and can comfortably call myself an ex-smoker.
    Congratulations to everyone who has stopped smoking. Take a day at a time and get whatever support that works for you. I found the support from this site really helpful.

Take a day at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭chrisb1

Quit smoking in oct 2011 after over twenty years and alot of wasted money went cold turkey was a bit of a fight at the start but kept at it my partner quit six months after me and she is still of them

I can go drinking and be around other people that smoke and it dosn't bother me in the slightest

It can be done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

woohoo
    Two months off them today. (cold turkey)
    Cravings gone, Sleep improved, Snoring reduced, breathing dramatically improved.
    Have lost the weight I initially put on, and then some

Looking forward to my next GP checkup

I reckon I've beaten them

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DMCC71

It has been 11 months today since my last smoke!!! It's hard to believe in only a few short weeks it will be a year!!!! I am ver proud of my achievement and I can actually now say I have become an anti smoker and I don't even the way people look when they smoke! I think I do this to make it more difficult for me to go back smoking, ha ha!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

One year free today! Most days I don't even think about them. I can go out on the beer and go out to eat and not think about them.
    It's such a great feeling not to be addicted to the horrible smelly things anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭simonsays1

I've been off the smokes for 1 year this month!
    I cannot believe I have done it-one of my proudest achievements so far.

For the previous decade, I smoked enough for a small country!

I still find weddings tough as it seem like an endless battle even with a patch which I only use on these testing days........

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Decided I'd quit on Sunday night and haven't had a smoke since. It's fairly easy right now as I've no money to buy cigs with but when I get money on Friday the temptation will get a whole lot worse. That's why I want to spend my money on something else. Anyone have any clue as to the price of patches and gum in Dublin? Don't want to pay through the nose for them :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Decided I'd quit on Sunday night and haven't had a smoke since. It's fairly easy right now as I've no money to buy cigs with but when I get money on Friday the temptation will get a whole lot worse. That's why I want to spend my money on something else. Anyone have any clue as to the price of patches and gum in Dublin? Don't want to pay through the nose for them :L

patches are about 15 or 24 quid get a pack to last you two weeks. and start joining a gym eat clean avoid crappy foods. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

patches are about 15 or 24 quid get a pack to last you two weeks. and start joining a gym eat clean avoid crappy foods. :)

I'll give them a miss :L I'll do it cold turkey. Will definitely join the gym and cut out crap. I have so much more energy without them!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭AlbionCat

Woohoo just realised have been off them since Jan 30 2013- more than a year. And slowly managing to nag OH into going outside to smoke. Going to start the big redecorate shortly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Off them two months now, worst of the cravings stopped after week 4.

Barely even think about them now. Just a distant memory of a different me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mick.d

14 months off them now after loads of false starts....so my tips that worked for me are
    -Waited till I got ill cause I smoked less then ( and didn't go to doc so gave me a chance...the longer I was sick the longer I stayed off them )
    - don't tell anyone you've quit. Less pressure to explain how you're getting on and they usually don't say " are you sure?" if offering a cig. Also if they don't know and you do accept a ciggie - it's just one and better than buying a packet then smoking them out if the way and having to start all over.
    -try smoking filter tip cigars for a bit before you quit and are cutting down. That ain't as nice as cigarettes but can also be bought single. Buying one at a time makes it harder to have one when you want...takes effort.
    -try to avoid pals who smoke for a while..sore throat, need to make a call...any excuse to give you a fighting chance to make a decent attempt
    - its all about Will power as you know and for me it was from week 7 onwards that was hardest.
    - down the road tell people you stopped smoking - not that you gave up. Sounds better in your own head.
    -if you do have one, so what, just continue on without restarting in mind. Rather have a slip up every so often than not to have made an attempt.
    -worked for me....would still love one now. Craving for me didn't go...just got easier to ignore... Good Luck

Advertisement