Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New business www.icabbi.ie

• 24-09-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

iCabbi – Changing the way we book taxis forever!

Hi everyone, I am looking for feedback on a business that is being soft launched today (negative or positive!) the business is called iCabbi and is a cutting edge service that allows people to book taxis directly from a computer or mobile phone.

Currently available on the web (www.icabbi.ie) as of today Friday the 24th of September, with iPhone app coming in the next week.
    iCabbi will soon be available as a smartphone application on iPhone, Nokia & Blackberry devices allowing passengers to see where active iCabbi drivers are on a map in real time, book them and watch on the map as the driver approaches them (no more calls to dispatch companies to be told “he is just around the corner”!).

We will also be launching a dedicated mobile phone site that will allow anyone with a web-enabled mobile phone to book an iCabbi.
    Initially available in Dublin and rolling out to the rest of Ireland in the coming months Cabbi will be the first truly national taxi company – enabling people to book an iCabbi wherever they are in the country at the touch of a mobile phone button – gone are the days of having to find out a local taxi companies number and the necessity to make a call.

iCabbi doesn’t work like a regular dispatch company, once a passenger sends out a request for an iCabbi the request gets sent to 10 drivers, the closest available will get that job.
    Only the driver who actually gets the job will receive the customers details.

As we are in beta mode currently taxis can be booked online and the drivers will be taking requests as of today. We realise this takes time to build and are rolling out our ideas in phases, phase 1 being a beta launch of the website (with 150+ drivers signed up already and growing by the day).

The iphone app has been submitted to the app store and will be released shortly and the app and associated bookings will make up the core element of the business.
    We already have plans in place to upgrade iCabbi to allow customers to pay iCabbi drivers directly from your smartphone without the need for cash or to even have your credit card.

One of the great selling points of iCabbi is security and the peace of mind that goes with it. When you use iCabbi, we know exactly where you are AND the driver you're with. You will receive the details of the driver you are getting directly to your phone when you book an iCabbi and every detail of your journey is recorded and sent to you by email. The route you take is also recorded for the customer and driver to check ensuring full traceability, we believe this feature will makes taxi journeys more secure and comfortable, a big benefit for women and children.

iCabbi also gives greater freedom to those with hearing or speech difficulties, who can now comfortably book taxis wherever they are without seeking assistance.

Initially launching in Dublin, you can see live taxis on the map now at www.icabbi.ie and also a map view at www.icabbi.ie/location(may new to zoom).

iCabbi has formed strategic relationships with Nokia, Vodafone, Carphone Warehouse and Georgina Campbell’s Ireland that will see iCabbi being promoted directly to their customers, on their phones, in their shops and on their websites.

We would love to hear your views and feedback on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    iCabbi – Changing the way we book taxis forever!
    allowing passengers to see where active iCabbi drivers are on a map in real time, book them and watch on the map as the driver approaches them (no more calls to dispatch companies to be told “he is just around the corner”!).

We already have plans in place to upgrade iCabbi to allow customers to pay iCabbi drivers directly from your smartphone without the need for cash or to even have your credit card.

One of the great selling points of iCabbi is security and the peace of mind that goes with it. When you use iCabbi, we know exactly where you are AND the driver you're with. You will receive the details of the driver you are getting directly to your phone when you book an iCabbi and every detail of your journey is recorded and sent to you by email. The route you take is also recorded for the customer and driver to check ensuring full traceability, we believe this feature will makes taxi journeys more secure and comfortable, a big benefit for women and children.

iCabbi also gives greater freedom to those with hearing or speech difficulties, who can now comfortably book taxis wherever they are without seeking assistance.

This is brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. I absolutely love it, so many plusses to this.

Best idea I have heard in years.

Every success with it, I hope it makes you millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭NCG

An excellent idea. The best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fishy21

sounds really interesting. So taxi pay a certain amount per fare?

Is the i phone app going to be free?

Best of luck with the new venture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Looks like a great service.

Design/process notes:

Grey text needs to be darker for readability. Contrast is your friend.

About Us is just a copy of homepage.

Book Now looks like it should be a link but isn't.

I wouldn't use the reflection on the logo, it dilutes the effectiveness of the brand name. Link logo to homepage.

The general look and feel could do with some more colour.

RBN?? Provide a postal address to ensure much greater trust.

I'd put a 'Coming Soon' mesage on the /assets/images/iphone_screens.png - preferably with a date. Easy to miss that it's not yet available.

Wouldn't bother with the Active and Idle stuff in the title.

Nice login and register show div effect. (Few have copped on to that method) I'd use another colour for the 2 book buttons. Red suggests warning or danger.

Do the Privacy Pol an T&C pages up.

I'd make your h3's bold so they stand out better.

What if I don't have smart phone or use smart phones smartly? That market is far too big to omit.

In the case of security for children, how does a parent get info they might want. It's mentioned but could be emphasised more.

FAQ?

Some footer links haven't been pointed to their URLs yet.

hth/gl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 iCabbi

fishy21 wrote: »
    sounds really interesting. So taxi pay a certain amount per fare?

Is the i phone app going to be free?

Best of luck with the new venture.

iCabbi is free to use and costs exactly the same as a taxi from a traditional dispatch company. The business model is a nominal pay per fare model, so yes the driver of the taxi pays.

The iphone, nokia and blackberry apps will all be free and iCabbi will soon be available on a mobile phone website for all other web enabled mobile phones. we feel the iphone app will contribute massively

Also thanks everyone so far for the positive comments, this has been over a year in development so is much appreciated to hear them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Best of luck with this project. Sounds like a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

What is the current percentage of booked taxis per total taxi journeys in Dublin?

How big an issue is security?

Would drivers be happy to have all their jobs logged? Revenue would love the data I'm sure.

I have a feeling that there isn't a demand for booked taxis out there to make this a viable business. It quite easy to hail a cab in Dublin due to the sheer amount of availability.

The margins must be quite small and it looks like you're solving a problem which doesn't exist.

All the same best of luck, I just hope you have existing jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Fantastic Idea. Id bring this to companys who have accounts with taxi firms, not that drivers overcharge them or anything.........

If you could automatically match the fare charged with what should have been charged...... very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Bluetonic wrote: »
    How big an issue is security?

I'd like to think, very important.

Would drivers be happy to have all their jobs logged? Revenue would love the data I'm sure.

This will probably separate the honest drivers from the not-so-honest ones.
    The margins must be quite small and it looks like you're solving a problem which doesn't exist.

We all got through life very easily without mobile phones but now we'd be lost without them. It's called technological advancement. People like convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

deman wrote: »
    We all got through life very easily without mobile phones but now we'd be lost without them. It's called technological advancement. People like convenience.
    Whats more convenient than standing by the side of the road and waving a taxi when you need one? Have you seen their availability lately in Dublin City? Again I'd love to know what the percentage of booked taxis over total taxi journeys is? You can ring and book a taxi just as easy if not easier then using an app or some other interface. Do people really need logging data? Who? Why? What percentage of taxi users?

I'd love to know what the projected financials are for this company for the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'd be in agreement with Bluetonic to a certain extent and he does raise some valid points; however I think the USP is the safety issue. I think I'd be pushing that point quite hard.

In terms of the technology (it's not the big draw to use your service in fairness), there's nothing really new about it TBH but it's positive to note that you have an iPhone app ready to go; which is the way to go in terms of customer interaction these days.

In terms of driver notification, how does this work? Obviously there's an issue if drivers have to check emails / text messages or take calls whilst driving.

Another thing I would note is that your website looks fairly poorly designed. But look I understand it's Beta at this stage. However, I would be inclined to not do live test (live testing as in using www.icabbi.ie, you should use lets say www.icabbi.ie/test or something of the like). Stick up a splash screen on icabbi.ie giving a high level synopsis of what you're all about, a logo, few pics and an launch date. Looks more professional.

However, it is an interesting proposition I'll hand that to you. But it will only work unless you move fast because most of the big taxi companies would have this technology in place already and could easily leverage it. I think you'd have a better shot at making a few quid anywhere else but Dublin / Ireland. Good luck with anyhow. I'll follow this one with some interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Red Sheds

I think its a great idea, well done on the development so far and best of luck with it. Get the mobile apps launched as soon as you can, make sure they are free to the customer.

Get taxi drivers to stick QR codes in promnent places in their taxi's, that when scanned and read by mobile phone cameras will direct the person to your website on their smaratphone. Good way of promoting your service and plently of time for driver to explain to pax how they work etc.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    iCabbi will soon be available as a smartphone application on iPhone, Nokia & Blackberry devices allowing passengers to see where active iCabbi drivers are on a map in real time, book them and watch on the map as the driver approaches them (no more calls to dispatch companies to be told “he is just around the corner”!).

iPhone, Nokia & Blackberry.. but no Android?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

tricky D wrote: »
    Looks like a great service.

Design/process notes:

Grey text needs to be darker for readability. Contrast is your friend.

About Us is just a copy of homepage.

Book Now looks like it should be a link but isn't.

I wouldn't use the reflection on the logo, it dilutes the effectiveness of the brand name. Link logo to homepage.

The general look and feel could do with some more colour.

RBN?? Provide a postal address to ensure much greater trust.

I'd put a 'Coming Soon' mesage on the /assets/images/iphone_screens.png - preferably with a date. Easy to miss that it's not yet available.

Wouldn't bother with the Active and Idle stuff in the title.

Nice login and register show div effect. (Few have copped on to that method) I'd use another colour for the 2 book buttons. Red suggests warning or danger.

Do the Privacy Pol an T&C pages up.

I'd make your h3's bold so they stand out better.

What if I don't have smart phone or use smart phones smartly? That market is far too big to omit.

In the case of security for children, how does a parent get info they might want. It's mentioned but could be emphasised more.

FAQ?

Some footer links haven't been pointed to their URLs yet.

hth/gl
    Thanks trickyD for your feedback, much appreciated. The site is still in heavy development ahead of our official launch and still undecided over the design!

stepbar wrote: »
    Another thing I would note is that your website looks fairly poorly designed. But look I understand it's Beta at this stage. However, I would be inclined to not do live test (live testing as in using www.icabbi.ie, you should use lets say www.icabbi.ie/test or something of the like). Stick up a splash screen on icabbi.ie giving a high level synopsis of what you're all about, a logo, few pics and an launch date. Looks more professional.
    Thanks for the feedback stepbar, the splash screen is a good idea. I am personally not a fan of them on finished sites, but for live testing it might work well to inform the user.

If you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

The only time i use a taxi is when ive had a few...and when ive had a few i dont wanna be mucking round with my phone...so i go out on the street and hail a cab.....my brain logs the journey, and the drivers mug, name and number are on the dash.
    If i decide i dont like the guy...i get out.
    Thats just me though.....this might appeal more to women maybe?
    best of luck with it.

Shzm wrote: »
    iPhone, Nokia & Blackberry.. but no Android?
    The mobile apps were started a long time ago! Android had a tiny market share in Ireland at the time, but it is next on our list. We'll have a web app available in the interim which will be compatible with most modern phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Find it hard to see this working.

Most pre-bookings are already done by phone with the particular driver, or by phoning their dispatching office who can radio the details to a any driver working for the firm. Where is the need for an App which would require a form of tracking. One or two big firms already have their own GPS and Data Terminals in cabs which tell the office where they are and queue their calls.

I guess maybe it might catch on if enough drivers signed up to it, but I find it hard to see that as there are many reasons they wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

How much do you charge taxi drivers for this service?
    % or a weekly fee?

Speaking from experience, the biggest gripe that taxi drivers have with the bigger taxi companies that use the GPS system is the fact that they give the driver 20 to get to the customers house to collect them, no earlier/no later.

But the catch is, to be eligable for the next job the driver has to be close to the customer. At night a taxi driver can get from Blanchardstown to finglas in 5 minutes. What does the driver do for 15 or so minutes.

I'm not saying your company will be like this but the othe big ones are.

This makes it look like the company is real busy etc. but in truth the taxi driver is idle most of the time and cant pick up local jobs/fares off the street (a big temptation when he's idle). This leads to him taking the street job anyway and the the customer that pre booked the taxi is left waiting.

Just something to think about.

Btw great idea and it will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

Seems to me like this idea is exactly what the internet is good at,which is cutting out the middleman(base controller).
    It should be handy also next time I leave my ph or wallet or whatever in the backseat when I'm pissed.

• Advertisement

From the drivers perspective there is one very, very big advantage. Traditional dispatch companies charge c. €100 per week for the use of a radio with no guarantee of work, the drivers that we speak to aren't getting value for money. Whereas iCabbi charges a small nominal fee per fare received, no business = no charge at all! Also if a driver with a dispatch company has to turn down a fare for any reason they get sin-binned and dropped from the system for a time, with iCabbi drivers can accept fares as and when they wish.

From the consumer perspective I am seeing some similar feedback to what Ryanair got when they cut out travel agents "it will never work" "this will be the end of them" etc. They changed the face of booking flights globally forever. They keep making inroads to make their industry more efficient and this is precisely what iCabbi does.

Interestingly the drivers have had no issue with the tracking element. Personally the most taxis I get are from someones house in the early hours, I detest making multiple calls to dispatch companies to be told there is nothing available or nothing for an hour. I also detest taxis not turning up and being told they are "just around the corner" when they are nowhere near. iCabbi removes the need to call multiple dispatch companies on busy nights, when we are national you will be able to get an iCabbi anywhere, no need to ask a local or to ring directory enquiries. So we are not necessarily trying to replace people hailing cabs from the street only to make the present ordering system more efficient.

I also hate when my wife is on a night out and getting a taxi home, I can't sleep until shes home as who knows what taxi she will get in. I won't have to worry about that now with iCabbi.

iCabbi is also great for anyone who has hearing or speech difficulties. There are over 10,000 people registered deaf in Dublin alone. A large market in itself. At present they have to get someone to order taxis when they are out and about.

No other dispatch company has technology remotely like this and it would take a massive investment and at least a year minimum to develop it. By this time iCabbi will be national.

iCabbi have also developed strategic partnerships with Vodafone, Nokia, Carphone Warehouse and Georgina Campbell's ireland which will see our service being promoted to their customers.

All of the points that have been made are valid, but we have already looked into them all and addressed them one by one. We feel that the time is right with the current technical level of mobile phones and the desire for people to have services quickly at the touch of a mobile phone button. Mobile phones are almost a phone last these days with many people the primary use is as a tool to assist them in their daily life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I will use this.

Thanks Kohd, do let us know of your experiences.

We had our first fares within hours of the site going live so we are happy with that as we have done no promotion thus far. Plan to launch properly in about a month.

Thanks everyone else for your input and constructive criticisms, they have all been helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Well done, I really hope this goes well for you, it's a great idea!

Please keep us updated, I think it would be interesting to hear from you as this grows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Excellent idea & I hope it works & that it has a big uptake.

A couple of suggestions:

1) Have a free application for desktop computers (aimed at companies, but available for everyone), that way the receptionist can keep a log of all fares etc.

2) Send an image of the Driver's ID (complete with description of car being driven) to the person booking the cab.

3) Issue a holographic sticker (destructible if removed) to all drivers using the service.

There is a large number of cars being "shared" (in Dublin), by that I don't mean being cosied, I mean one driver has the relevant accreditation & others are illegally using the car on a full 24 hour basis. There is also a number of duplicate cars (same car model, make & colour, fake licence & taxi plates) on the road.

Thanks for the suggestions iMax:

1. Definitely will look into this

2. We are already considering this, other ideas are to allow people to rate drivers and to also have the functionality that iCabbi users can mark certain drivers as "favourite" so that they can request this particular driver if they like them when booking

3. As per regulatory requirements all icabbi drivers are registered taxi drivers, all have licenses verified etc. They have to show us 5 different items (SPSV license x 2, drivers license, insurance, copy of recent utility bill) which we take copies of. We have procedures in place to flag any of these items that are expiring to ensure that we get copies of new ones. The main person involved in recruiting drivers is at the heart of the taxi industry and knows everything that is going on and we are totally satisfied that we have taken all steps possible to ensure that our drivers & cars are bona fide.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sidcon

Simple advertisement is a Facebook page /Twitter let people spread the word sounds to me like a great service,
    something very similiar but not to your level is the Iphone app Irish Taxi, check it out
    http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/irish-taxi/id362721635?mt=8

So how much exactly are you charging taxi drivers?

You say that the guy that recruits the drivers is at the heart of the taxi industry in Ireland, this is probably one of 2 men, (and hopefully its neither one). One is the head of a union and just before the taxi industry was regulated he sold the 10 taxi plates in his possession for close to €100,000 to 10 unsuspecting guys who had to remortgage their houses to buy one.
    The other one, also the head of a union tried to get me to invest €5,000 in a new taxi company. When I asked what returns that I would recieve for my investment he told me that he would take off €5 per week from my base fee.

Were you involved in the taxi industry before this venture. If so in what way?

If the driver has a compatible phone we charge them €1.21 per fare received and the software is free (downloaded as an app), if they want us to supply a phone with the app on it to them it costs nothing but is €2 per fare to allow for data charges and cost of phone (both including VAT).

Like any industry there are loads of people in the heart of the taxi industry, people who work in it day in day out are in the heart of it. It is none of the people you are referring to.

We were in no way involved in the taxi industry previously & are internet entrepeneurs from various different industries. We have a team with various complimentary skills and several taxi drivers with years of experience within the team to direct us with respect to what works best for the drivers themselves.

• Advertisement

Thats great to know.

I'm just about to launch my first website myself but its nothing to do with the taxi industry, thank God.

I predict great things for icabbi.

Good luck.

Advertisement