Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Bit p1ssed off at the moment with the head start.

The servers are up, their forums are down, and they've got a problem with you can't select a liberated borg as your race. The liberated borg was a bonus of getting a lifetime sub. There's no point in starting to play the game with a race other than the one you wanted, so I'm forced to wait til they fix the borg problem :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Branoic wrote: »

The servers are up, their forums are down, and they've got a problem with you can't select a liberated borg as your race. The liberated borg was a bonus of getting a lifetime sub. There's no point in starting to play the game with a race other than the one you wanted, so I'm forced to wait til they fix the borg problem :(

Servers are also laggy as hell. ITs taking me forever to get through the load screens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Branoic wrote: »

Its fixed now. You need to make a character, enter the game and goto the c-store via ingame options and claim your liberated borg character. I was in the game when steam ****ed up, deleted the STO folder and Im now having to re-download the game all over again :(

It will be a cold day in hell before they get a cent from me again,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Venom wrote: »
    Its fixed now. You need to make a character, enter the game and goto the c-store via ingame options and claim your liberated borg character.

Ya sure? I see the liberated borg in as a secection of what type of character I want. Human, Vulcan, Liberated borg etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

Fleet Created Digital Deck Hands .. pm Buck@sirloot to join ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Fleet Created Digital Deck Hands .. pm Buck@sirloot to join ;)

Was planning to send you a message until I found myself at position 215 on the login queue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Was planning to send you a message until I found myself at position 1215 on the login queue. Good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Stompy

OK was about to buy the game , as a star trek fan a mmorpg sounded cool.However looking at all the post beta reviews , the game seems kinda poor and kinda a waste of money. Have played loadsa mmo's such as aoc , wow , guild wars , warhammer , lotro , but wud love to play a decent star trek game. Star fleet command 3 was a turn based/rt game that was decent enough ,but a good game hasnt come out in a while. Anyways i have 50 euros in my hand , and am willing to pay monthly .....question is , is it worth buying and can ye see yerselves playing it a year from now? , or will i hold onto my money and buy the new bioware star wars mmo when it comes out?

Scratch that we are now known as Borg Syndicate pm me ingame Buck@sirloot

as far as complaints yeah the game has a few bugs but to me it seems like a good game alot of indepth character/bridge officer customization :cool: worth the 46 some odd quid i plunked down on the preorder to get to play over a week of beta a week of headstart and a month of gameplay plus the "liberated" borg b/o and other assorted goodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i'm probably spoiled by WoW but i found STO to be awesome in one regard, space combat. everything else about the game is terrible and clunky at best.

the missions are pretty good, but the description of what to do and how to get there are abominable, the maps, and yes i did use the starcharts too, are crap. The first couple of missions are pretty easy to find as they're all in the same system-block, but after that, it has you travelling from one end of the universe to the other with no idea of where it is you're going until you get to that particular system. Wasnt impressed with that.

The ground combat is terrible, you have to shoot a klingon warrior about 20 times to kill him, wtf happened to phasers and disrupters being awesome weapons that can vaporize any opponent?

Also on ground and space, your sensors/tricorder arent very helpful, they just point you in the direction of the nearest anomaly.. which isnt always what you're looking for. the ground maps are undetailed and need way more work.

Movement in space, why the feck cant i fly straight up or straight down? thats bloody annoying and unrealistic, i'm not flying a fcuking spitfire here!

I've played a few MMO's through beta and launch, like AoC, WaR, WoW, Aion etc.. but none have been so dated as to look like a 10 year old MMO, Anarchy Online...

I wont be buying a subscription for this one, and i've even uninstalled it from steam, what a waste of 60 quid.

Oh well, back to mass effect 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

The ground combat is terrible, you have to shoot a klingon warrior about 20 times to kill him, wtf happened to phasers and disrupters being awesome weapons that can vaporize any opponent?

I think they got around that by giving pretty much every character a personal shield.

yeah, but even when you get through the shield, you still have to fire about 20 times to kill anything, even when your whole team is aiming at it.. i know its an mmo and things should be hard to kill, but when you've got a phaser in your hand and you're blasting away for 30 seconds it just kind of takes away from the whole star trek idea (for me anyway)

Wanna vaporise someone?

Take out your phaser rife, use the sniper snot and hit someone from behind. If you get enough of a surprise attack its a one hit kill vaporising them instantly.

Agent J wrote: »
    Wanna vaporise someone?

Take out your phaser rife, use the sniper snot and hit someone from behind. If you get enough of a surprise attack its a one hit kill vaporising them instantly.

or if they are exposed it works from any angle.. awesome graphic too

yeah, but even when you get through the shield, you still have to fire about 20 times to kill anything, even when your whole team is aiming at it.. i know its an mmo and things should be hard to kill, but when you've got a phaser in your hand and you're blasting away for 30 seconds it just kind of takes away from the whole star trek idea (for me anyway)

Dude what were you expecting, one shot kills? Even in any of the Star Wars games you dont one shot enemies with a lightsabre or blaster.

STOwise Im having a blast so far and almost Captain. The head start was a ****ing disaster for European players due to the amount of server downtime but the official launch has been pretty damm good. One thing to bear in mind is there is a skill cap on player skills so you kinda need to plan ahead on where you want you character to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Its really the same as any other MMO where you have to stab something in the face 20 times before it dies.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Dude what were you expecting, one shot kills? Even in any of the Star Wars games you dont one shot enemies with a lightsabre or blaster.

STOwise Im having a blast so far and almost Captain. The head start was a ****ing disaster for European players due to the amount of server downtime but the official launch has been pretty damm good. One thing to bear in mind is there is a skill cap on player skills so you kinda need to plan ahead on where you want you character to go.
    ah yeah , and the US timezone friendly maintenance slots didnt really help (down midday to afternoon GMT)
    are there many boardsies still playing , wouldn't mind joining a fleet with a few of you lot:)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Aye, me too. Give the 30 day thing a try and go from there.

25 phaser hits plus your whole team firing on it, to kill one klingon is still bollocks, this game is definetly not for me sadly

25 phaser hits plus your whole team firing on it, to kill one klingon is still bollocks, this game is definetly not for me sadly

I think you doing something wrong as it shouldnt take that long to kill one mob. Equip 1 exploit and 1 expose weapon and equip all you team with expose weapons and mobs drop in seconds :)

• Advertisement

screenshot2010020623360.jpg

I can see my house from here :)

Nice!

*suddenly wonders if you can force fire on a planet.... *

I played last night for the first time since launch, and i actually really enjoyed it. There was a queue, which took about 15 minutes to get in, but thats normal for any new MMO these days. Got in, did some great missions with a few different teams, and played the Starbase 24 mission a few times. Ground combat is still a bit meh, but its a good game so far. Gonna try and get into it properly over the next week, and get to the next level of ship.

Although i did get kicked out while in Starbase 24, and was then put back in the queue at position 700 of 701. Hope they implement a queue reserver thing, so disconnects dont totally screw you up.

yeah afaik the "Queue reserver" is for lifers aka lifetime memberships but as the are upgrading hardware it might not matter

yeah havin fun in game so far as well just hit commander again
    :pac:

yeah afaik the "Queue reserver" is for lifers aka lifetime memberships
    Thats a ****in joke. That should be a basic requirement of MMO's these days. Not having this will drive people away. I'm crashing so much at the moment, that i will not bother playing it when there's even a small queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I wasn't aware there was a queue...

*hides life time membership card*

i just hate the fact that yer booted out after like 15-20 mins of idle :mad:

My god the music in this game is awful.

Kiith wrote: »
    My god the music in this game is awful.

Yeah its pretty bland all right. I dunno why the Star trek music isn't used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

That male opera singer is just terrible. I can't believe its considered "professional" music.

Advertisement