Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The housing bubble has burst

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

lomb when yields are ultra low by definition people are speculating that prices will rise further therefore they dont mind the low yields.

or they actually want to live in the houses and have no interest in yields!
    yields are only for people who want to rent, most who pay say 4 million for a house in orwell park rathgar have zero interest in yields, rent, etc etc. they buy because they want to live there. its a brave investor that pays 4 million to watch the capital increase. that end of the market is very very risky but not if u arent going to sell and u want to live there and have the money!. buying 3 bed semis in clonsilla, or cheap apartments in city areas that are not seen as desirable are not risky, the yield is good relatively speaking, and prices are on the up everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

lomb wrote:
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . except ireland is in a very very special position . . . . . . . . . . a very very low corporation tax rate . . . . . . . . .

This measure has a limited shelf life and will not be allowed to continue by other governments in the medium term, as more countries get the idea we will be priced out of the market and the countries who perceive they are loosing out will figure how to implement measures to close this tax "loophole".

Swiss cantons offer corporate taxes as low as 6.6% compared with Ireland's 12.5%; US plans to reduce Ireland's attraction as tax haven.
    http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10004879.shtml

Once this tax advantage is gone the infrastructural problems we have created as a result of this boom start to seriously hinder our competiveness, Ireland vs Britain or Germany (roads, telecommunications).

Also any companies that remain will be even more sensitive to wage costs, so there is not much long term scope for wage growth in the multinational sector or our econmy to underpin growth in the housing market.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

This measure has a limited shelf life and will not be allowed to continue by other governments in the medium term, as more countries get the idea we will be priced out of the market and the countries who perceive they are loosing out will figure how to implement measures to close this tax "loophole".

Swiss cantons offer corporate taxes as low as 6.6% compared with Ireland's 12.5%; US plans to reduce Ireland's attraction as tax haven.
    http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10004879.shtml

Once this tax advantage is gone the infrastructural problems we have created as a result of this boom start to seriously hinder our competiveness, Ireland vs Britain or Germany (roads, telecommunications).

Also any companies that remain will be even more sensitive to wage costs, so there is not much long term scope for wage growth in the multinational sector or our econmy to underpin growth in the housing market.

they are all good points, and u are right thats the risk, the question is will they go elsewhere after they have invested here. thats the 10 million dollar question.

lomb wrote:
    . . . . the question is will they go elsewhere after they have invested here. thats the 10 million dollar question.

Multinational Corporations (MNC's) are all about productivity , as long as Irelands workforce delivers this then we are ok. When we can't compete with other countries they leave, simple as that.
    The IDA's approach of attracting firms that require a highly skilled workforce has been the correct one in this regard as we have a better chance of competing and maintaining jobs against similiar ecomomies even without tax exemptions.
    We are also exposed to to downturns in our international trading partners.

Those 10 million dollars would be better spent finding out how exposed indigenous companies are to a property market collapse and taking action to direct them from this cul-de-sac in the long term.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Those 10 million dollars would be better spent finding out how exposed indigenous companies are to a property market collapse and taking action to direct them from this cul-de-sac in the long term.

how is an indigenous company in a non property area going to collapse if the property market collapses?
    rent on offices/factories is only a small input in total costs and ireland seems to be competitive in terms of cost per sqare foot of industrial and office property.

u are very correct in asking whether/if multi nationals will leave. they and the combination of 10% corporation tax, shift to lower interest rates on joining euro, led in tandem to a hugh construction boom partly led by government spending, leading to net immigration from eastern europe and former irish emigrants.
    the knock on spending and confidence have fuelled the economy on spending loads of money on complete tat like 50 euro for a dinner in a restaurant etc.

confidence is a very intangible thing, but there are tangibles like low interest rates and demographics, and corporation taxes. personally im very interested to see how irelands future plays out and the furthur play of globalisation. all very interesting stuff..
    personally im an investor and im going to keep investing in property as and when i can afford it. but i am very select in what i will buy, and i think that attitude will stand me well.

• Advertisement

You are right companies that have nothing to do with non-property areas should not be affected - in theory! My concern is that rather than investing in their core business they are speculating in the property market and tying their capital in construction companies, land or property. We have also seen a handful of high profile cases where viable businesses (Jury's, Killiney Hotel, Bewleys) have sold some or all of their assets to take advantage of the buoyant property market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

if property prices fall people cut their spending as they feel less wealthy as their primary asset isnt increasing in price,plus many jobs lost in construction would mean less money/wages being spent in economy,this would hit nearly all companies in ireland.

if property prices fall people cut their spending as they feel less wealthy as their primary asset isnt increasing in price,plus many jobs lost in construction would mean less money/wages being spent in economy,this would hit nearly all companies in ireland.

u are talking about confidence there, an intangible item. no one knows how much this contributes to the economy but it is probably sizable. peoples expectations are going up and confidence or no confidence they want them fullfilled.

u are forgetting the government is getting ready to spend billions on infrastructure in the coming years. they are the biggest customer of all, and a property crash wont affect their long term plans and contracts.

its not as simple as what it seems like on the surface. the truth is no one knows but it looks as if prices will level off with inflation within 3-4 years. but until then expect double digit growth. if u want to sit around watching them go up fine, but i intend to get on the gravy train. every thing ive seen and heard is that the politicians want to keep it going. there is no political motivation to see house prices come down. in fact the opposite is true. measures like reducing the capital adequecy ratios, removing/reducing stamp on second hand homes, allowing 100% mortgages, this are the signs of a government who is interested in prices increasing. no one on the gravy train (77% of adults)wants them to stop. and those who cant get on the gravy train get free or cheap social housing at the cost of everyone else to get a leg up on to it. sure look at adamstown, 280 grand for a one bed apartment, just laughable. probably 45 grand of that price is covering the social element! scandalous..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

lomb wrote:
    normally id agree with you guys except ireland is in a very very special position. its english speaking, has a large young population that can pay taxes, has net immigration of young people that pay taxes, is in euroland with low interest rates, and finally has a very very low corporation tax rate. did u know microsoft pumps its entire european revenue thru ireland and the government gets 10% of the profit in tax off that. and microsoft arent the only ones.

........... but there are reasons that explain what is going on here.

and u are right no one is complaining about property prices except if they cant get on the gravy train. QUOTE]

This is my very point that there are very special circumstances which have aligned to push property prices up. Whether these circumstances will stay that way is the moot point which I quesyion is my post.

As for noone except those on the gravy train complaining, I disagree to an extent. There is a real benefit to a few, there is a psychological benefit to many and there is no benefit to others. Moreover, it is unbalancing the economy to a frightening degree which threatens our long term economy. IMO it only takes one flat year in house prices to cause a recession because of the overreliance on debt funded housebuilding to drive the economy.

I also think the rent yield is a good indicator of the fundamentals of the market and when the capital appreciations outstrip yields, then the fundamentals do not support the appreciation and speculation is at play. Without wanting to draw direct comparisons with the dotcom bubble, the capital appreciations of the dotcoms were out of sync with their fundamentals (i.e. profitability).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

lomb wrote:
    u are talking about confidence there, an intangible item. no one knows how much this contributes to the economy but it is probably sizable. peoples expectations are going up and confidence or no confidence they want them fullfilled.

u are forgetting the government is getting ready to spend billions on infrastructure in the coming years. they are the biggest customer of all, and a property crash wont affect their long term plans and contracts.

its not as simple as what it seems like on the surface. the truth is no one knows but it looks as if prices will level off with inflation within 3-4 years. but until then expect double digit growth. if u want to sit around watching them go up fine, but i intend to get on the gravy train. every thing ive seen and heard is that the politicians want to keep it going. there is no political motivation to see house prices come down. in fact the opposite is true. measures like reducing the capital adequecy ratios, removing/reducing stamp on second hand homes, allowing 100% mortgages, this are the signs of a government who is interested in prices increasing. no one on the gravy train (77% of adults)wants them to stop. and those who cant get on the gravy train get free or cheap social housing at the cost of everyone else to get a leg up on to it. sure look at adamstown, 280 grand for a one bed apartment, just laughable. probably 45 grand of that price is covering the social element! scandalous..
    the governemtns infrastructure plan is 21 billion over many years ,hardly much when gdp is 120billion or something.i dont think governemtn can spend its way out of any downturn.
    as for the psychological wealth effects of house price rises there is much empirical evidence by economists in uk that shows when house prices rise consumer spending rises and vice versa when prices fall,dont underestimate the importance of this,people are on a credit binge and this WILL come to a slowdown eventually as damien kiebard said recently as we are rapidly approaching the status as most indebted nation on earth with 35% private credit growth per annum.
    when everybody starts seeing it as a gravytrain you know its not gonna last long.
    for prices to remain high everything has to stay right,consumer spending,undersupply of homes ,international economy,construction sector,interest rates,multinational companies location here etc etc if any of this change -as happens frequently in economic history- our house price bubble will burst.

• Advertisement

This party will never stop........:eek:

December 2005 tops the year for record loans
    http://www.businessworld.ie/livenews.htm?a=1365435;s=rollingnews.htm

Central Bank Credit, Money and Banking Statistics
    http://www.centralbank.ie/frame_main.asp?pg=nws%5Farticle%2Easp%3Fid%3D181&nv=nws_nav.asp

. . . . . . . . for prices to remain high everything has to stay right,consumer spending,undersupply of homes ,international economy,construction sector,interest rates,multinational companies location here etc etc if any of this change -as happens frequently in economic history- our house price bubble will burst.

Everytime I take the train or bus around this country almost every town I pass through has a new housing estate under construction.

If you have a window seat next time you are flying into Ireland and have a the good fortune to have a clouldless day, have a look down below, everywhere you look, you will see houses being built. The urban sprawl is really evident around Dublin.

There are no shortage of properties on offer in any estate agents windows.

I pay less on rent than the guy paying the mortgage on this house.

If there is an undersupply of homes in this country, tell me what signs I should be watching out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Everytime I take the train or bus around this country almost every town I pass through has a new housing estate under construction.
    Yes, but how many of them are being bought by owner occupiers?
    There are no shortage of properties on offer in any estate agents windows.
    And why wouldn't there be, we have almost 2 million properties in this country, people move jobs everyday, their family size changes over the years and they want to move, etc.
    I pay less on rent than the guy paying the mortgage on this house.
    If there was a shortage of houses in the country, you could be damn sure your rent would be jacked up very quickly. Your landlord sole reason for buying such a property is based on short-term unsustainable capital gains.
    If there is an undersupply of homes in this country, tell me what signs I should be watching out for?
    Rising rents, queues of people outside houses when they are advertised for letting. Houses for sale being bought within hours of first going on sale. The size of each household increasing in size, that is going from the current 2.1 average persons per house to 3 or 4 people per house. Gardens being ripped up, and extensions being built, and sub-let to tenants. Parts of the Irish Sea being reclaimed to support housing. Derelict buildings suddenly becoming worth enough for their landlord to redevelop into appartments. People building shelters out of corrugated iron on the side of roads. The age of people being admitted to nursing homes plummeting. More flat roof houses like in Cyprus, to allow the children build their future house upstairs when they get married. The number of people homeless rising by astronomical proportions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

David McWilliams had an interesting article in the Indo yesterday. This is the third or forth time he has visited this subject in as many weeks.

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/Articles/view.asp?CategoryID=-1&CategoryName=&ArticleID=341

Property buzz may yet have nasty sting in tail
    22/02/2006
    Irish Independent

Property booms do not so much create wealth as redistribute it. In the past few years, the great Irish housing frenzy has done more to reallocate wealth in this country than any government initiative on tax and social welfare since the foundation of the State.

The transfer has been monumental. Arguably, we have to go back to Lenin's persecution of the Kulaks to see one section of the population forced into giving so much of its wealth to another.

The major difference in Ireland is that the redistribution of wealth via property has made the old richer and, more depressingly, the young poorer.
    It has created a drone class of the over-45s - Ireland's accidental millionaires - who have seen their wealth increase enormously as their houses have soared in value. These drones are financed and indulged by a worker-bee class of the under-35s who are first-time buyers and renters.

For every four first-time buyers who are fretting in the traffic, working long hours, pinned to their collars by mortgage payments and creche fees and being bullied to part with money they don't have by the threat of "mandatory" pensions, there is a healthy 50-something couple drinking vino verde on the Algarve, sun at their back and not a care in the world.

In financial terms, Ireland is now sitting on a demographic faultline. Bubbling away underneath the tectonic surface is the overheated property market, stoked up by cheap credit, irrational expectations and the corrosive psychology of the property-ladder tyranny.

As the property mania reaches fever pitch, this rumbling instability - like its geological equivalent - naturally leads to political, financial and social tremors.

Like the citizens of San Francisco, we know our economic San Andreas fault-line is vulnerable, but all of us ignore the possibility that the next one could be the "Big One".

At the moment, there is an uneasy truce between the competing demographic of haves and have-nots but the problem for society is that, while an unforgiving meritocracy governs the lives of the worker-bee generation, the drones live in a pampered world based on equity releases and rental income.

This is not sustainable. Take, for example, a not-untypical middle-of-the-road office worker of the 1970s and 1980s. Although he now plays golf off seven, like the Monty Python sketch of old he reminds his office juniors how hard times were in the 1970s, how people had little money and few expectations.

He probably bought his house in 1975 for £10,000; it is now worth €1.3m . He has no debts, a well-financed pension, annual clean bills of health, a subsidised VHI Plan A scheme and an early retirement scheme that is just about to kick in.

With his enormous pile of equity, he took advice from an accountant mate and bought a couple of places off plans in the late 1990s. The (only recently declared) rental income nets him €3,000 a month, which more than covers his mortgage on the golf resort town house in Quinta da something. He is one of Ireland's accidental millionaires and he is not alone.

According to the census in 1990, there were just over one million private households in the country. For these people, as prices have risen, the most telling indicator of wealth is not brains, hard work or entrepreneurial ability but the year they were born. Those 1990s households born in the late 1940s, 1950s and early 1960s are on the right side of the demographic faultline and are likely to be sitting on enormous property wealth.

Those worker bees, born in the late 1970s and 1980s - the productive core of the economy - are now the ones paying exorbitant house prices via 35-year 100pc mortgages or they are renting. A major determinant of whether you are a drone or a worker-bee is the date you were born.

So the main redistributive mechanism in our economy works like a demographic lottery which is heavily weighted against the young. It is, of course, natural that the 50s generation will be the ones in power, but because of our population structure, they are much less representative of the general population than they would be, for instance, in Britain, where they constitute 27pc of the population, or in France and Germany, where they're over 30pc.

Here, those in their 50s only represent 11pc of the population and yet they are being enriched constantly every time house prices rise. Each notch upwards in house prices adds to the wealth of the drone class and the worker bees' debts. We live in a society where the young work to excess to make the middle-aged rich via house prices.

The big banks tell me that house prices are going to rise by 10pc this year. Quite apart from being a grotesque scam which lines the Government's pockets, enriches developers and drives up the share price of our money-lending banks, it is sowing the seeds of a demographic civil war.

Every 10pc rise in the price of houses is equivalent to a 10pc tax hike for the young who are trying to get into the housing market.

Another way to look at it is that every 10pc increase in the price of houses adds an extra 10 miles of commuting on to the day of the next batch of the dormitory-town-dwelling tribe. In contrast, the same 10pc price hike adds 10pc to the wealth of the drone generation and 10 more days in the Algarve.

What does this mean for politics? Well, if the outcome of government policy has been to enrich one section of the population at the expense of another, it isn't surprising that the hardest working sector of society opts out politically. By stoking up the property market at the behest of its paymaster - the construction sector - this government has engineered the progressive indebtedness of our under 30s and the relentless enrichment of our over 50s.

In the last election, the worker bees did not turn up. They see what is happening and are profoundly cynical about national politics. They couldn't be bothered.

So a bachelor farmer from Achill or a 50-something from Sandycove, Foxrock, Terenure or Clontarf is twice as likely to vote as a suburban, double-income worker-bee family with kids.

In fact, the two areas of Ireland where the under-35 worker bees are present - the new suburbs and the inner cities - vote least. This opting-out trend contrasts with the rest of Europe where voting patterns follow education.

In Ireland, it's when you were born, rather than letters after your name, that's much more likely to determine whether you vote or not.

This is because the older you are the larger your stake in society and the more the present status quo suits you.

So the worker bees who toil hardest, commute longest, pay most taxes, have the biggest mortgages, have children, pay exorbitant creche fees and keep the profits of multinationals operating in Ireland sky-high, participate least in politics. But they won't remain docile forever.

This vacuum is potentially explosive because, when you live on a faultline, the potential for eruption is never far below the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I think most of you also visit the excellent Askaboutmoney website - check out the last few days' posts from the 'Future Price of Irish Properties' thread there:
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=14317&page=16
    Very interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    PERHAPS!
    We are building 80K houses p.a. at present,
    many of the people building these houses are renting themselves(self-fulfilling demand),
    and many of the houses built built are bought to rent(especially Section 23).

Now forgive me for being simplistic,
    but what happens if when section 23 houses are no longer allowed after 2007?
      Will the housing output fall?
      Will the construction industry then require fewer immigrants?
      Will there then in turn be less accomodation needed for those immigrants?
    What effect will this have on rents, which at present have fallen in real terms since 2000? If rents continue to fall, in real terms, at a time real interest rates are being increased by the ECB, will people still rush in to buy houses as an investment?

If they don't, and if the drop in construction reduces the number of immigrants needed in construction, people will BELIEVE that 'future demand' for housing will fall.
    Then we could have a serious problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

The number is job vacancies in construction has already dropped. (sorry cant remember the source).
    Also we've seen this week more manufacturing jobs going. Less manufacturing jobs could reduce immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Re: McWilliams. It's very easy to keep writing that house prices will collapse and then if and when they do fall saying I told you so. Unfortunately McWilliams has been saying this for years and if house prices were to fall 20 per cent tomorrow (which I don't think they will, I think we're looking at 8-10 per cent price increases until 2008 at least) then they would be back to level of around September 2004, meaning most people will still have made huge amounts of money from their property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

...meaning most people will still have made huge amounts of money from their property.
    ...if they sell!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

jdivision wrote:
    Re: McWilliams. It's very easy to keep writing that house prices will collapse and then if and when they do fall saying I told you so. Unfortunately McWilliams has been saying this for years and if house prices were to fall 20 per cent tomorrow (which I don't think they will, I think we're looking at 8-10 per cent price increases until 2008 at least) then they would be back to level of around September 2004, meaning most people will still have made huge amounts of money from their property.

Oh McWilliams is the first in line for a bullet to the head.

He's been harping on at least once a week for the last 5 or 6 years about a crash. Just goes to prove he doesnt know what he's on about. He should just admit he doesnt know and stop trying to prove he's and expert. All he's proved is that he doesnt know a thing about when or if there will be a crash - like the rest of us - yet he continues to spout ****e at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Hmm, but if you lived through the hype and the madness of the dotcom bubble (I was investing in stocks at that time and even worked in the dotcoms in San Francisco, I remember it well) there were commentators who were 'harping on' for many years about the situation. How we all laughed at them, year in year out, and the NASDAQ broke records every month! They didn't realise, like the rest of us, that the fundamentals didn't apply, that the dotcoms were a special case - it was a new economy, baby! A new paradigm. The old rules were out the window, and the only way dotcom stocks could go was up up up.

But those doom-sayers were right in the end, the fundamentals cannot be overlooked, it just took half a decade for the implosion to occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I tend to agree with McWilliams

Property is only worth what people are willing pay for it, and eventually the market will run out of fools.

Unfortunately Irish buyers tend to buy based on how much monthly repayments will be and not how much debt they are getting into. And even that has started to change. Repaying a mortgage is not as easy in times of low inflation/interest rates, but even harder when you bought in times of low rates and then they go up, while your income stays levelled.

Global credit ocean dries up
    http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2006/02/24/cccredit24.xml&menuId=242&sSheet=/money/2006/02/24/ixcoms.html

German business sentiment rises
    http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8FUR4F80.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_down&chan=db

German inflation still higher than ECB target
    http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/0224/Germany.html

I've always wondered where the Irish banks get the money we borrow. :rolleyes:
    Now that business confidence is rising in Germany, won't firms need capital for investment?, also with the retrictions on movement from the East European countries being removed over the next few years will Ireland be as attractive destination to work in the future? If not, who will keep the tills in those Spar's & Centra's that seem to grow like mushrooms going?

Any First Time buyers out there should take the time to read this.

http://adam.webline.co.uk/personal/dontdoit.pdf

Any First Time buyers out there should take the time to read this.

http://adam.webline.co.uk/personal/dontdoit.pdf

i wouldnt let a book telling me not to buy stop me. everyone needs to live somewhere (regardless of cost).

what happens if (when) hes wrong, the house you wanted will cost even more. buy what you can afford now, one way or another inflation is going to destroy your mortgage. and u can bank on that.

lomb wrote:
    i wouldnt let a book telling me not to buy stop me. everyone needs to live somewhere (regardless of cost).

You are right, don't let a book stop you. We all need food and shelter to be able to raise our families, whether that's in Ireland or elsewhere in the world. Cost does matter since we have no future when we price ourselves out of existence.
    lomb wrote:
    what happens if (when) hes wrong, the house you wanted will cost even more. buy what you can afford now, one way or another inflation is going to destroy your mortgage. and u can bank on that.

You have very effectively summarised the motivational fear (panic) that is currently driving a lot of first time buyers to buy into the mythical housing ladder. Fear is not a rational basis for taking on a lifetime debt.

I am observing too many of my colleagues using credit cards to keep their heads above water, interest rates are on the way up for the next 18 months, at least!. Austin Hughes (Chief Economist IIB Bank) reckons that up to 50,000 will struggle with this alone.
    Quite clearly IMHO we have now reached a point where it is obvious to most who wish to look that the only basis for continued house price rises is the availability of cheap credit.
    David McWilliams
    Sunday Business Post
    Celtic Pirates Plundering Credit

The credit economy dominates the crushed economy and ultimately squeezes the life out of it through a combination of finance, prices and human psychology. We have seen this down throughout the ages and, although history may not always repeat itself, so far economic history certainly has.

I am observing too many of my colleagues using credit cards to keep their heads above water, interest rates are on the way up for the next 18 months, at least!.

so what if rates or on the up slightly. money is way to cheap anyway. taking inflation into account im LOOSING money when i put it on deposit. there is something wrong there. rates will rise by quarter of a percent or so. basically if a young person buys a house today, they will need to tighten their belts until inflation eats some of their debt. with it running at a compound 3% a year, in5 years a significant amount of it will be eaten up. thats why you can take a 35 year loan, and effectively just pay interest for the most part to the bank to use the asset. the day will come when you can accelerate4 the payments. time is a great friend to the mortgage holder.

as regards people using credit cards, they should cut them up. its way too tempting to borrow at the very high rates on cards especially if u have a cash flow problem.

without any doubt all the money is transferring from young to old but look at it this way old people die eventually, and the money gets transferred back and with the very low inheritance taxes in this country (relative to the uk) the money is going back to the young one way or another, and u can bank on that as well;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

the most telling indicator of wealth is not brains, hard work or entrepreneurial ability but the year they were born.

McWilliams puts his finger on it here and in the medium term this is a major threat to the economny especially when the bubble bursts and these skills will be needed to right the economy and will be lacking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

A lot of investors are buying for capital appreciation. Also you're taking yields based on the total cost of the mortgage when investors actually put in far less. If you put in 20 per cent of the price in the form of a deposit and you then experience house price growth of 10 per cent per annum you will more than double your money after two years, excluding rental income. That's why investors are still pouring into the property market.

Advertisement