Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Last Chance U

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Blitzed through this over the past 2 days. Not great to be honest. We all know the coach is a dick so there was nothing new there and unfortunately for me I had read how the season went so there was no real suspense. The players weren't as interesting as the ones in East Mississippi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I wonder if they'll do another season.
    EMCC has been done, Indy is not worth any more coverage....
    The other teams of note, Garden state etc dont seem like they'd have enough controversy around them to warrant a season.

BizzyC wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll do another season.
    EMCC has been done, Indy is not worth any more coverage....
    The other teams of note, Garden state etc dont seem like they'd have enough controversy around them to warrant a season.

Well the coach there ticks the ‘being a dick’ box which seems to be a requirement. He was calm and respectful during the interview at the end of the series but was a complete arsehole after the game between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I've only watched the two Indy seasons so far but found them very entertaining. The Indy v Garden City games both years were great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The most recent season was the best yet imo, the storylines are so much better when
    the team is struggling
    . Jason Brown is a dick but exactly the sort of character a show like this needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I agree, I thought this past season was the strongest one in some ways. The drama of it was palpable, it was beautifully shot, and I especially liked how it draws the focus increasingly beyond the football field, and even the football players, focusing on local opposition to the team as a resource sponge, and the really vexed questions of the morality of junior college football. And while that stuff has always been a feature of the show I think given the circumstances of the season it takes on a much greater sense of urgency.

Brown is a dick of course, but while his total hypocrisy and self-serving approach is there for all to see, the show does a great job also of revealing what a sad existence his is, the lies he needs to tell himself to keep himself going in the face of relentless criticism and loneliness. I think that's what I like about it best as a show, that it does such a stellar job of exploring the human frailty of all these people, without ever making us feel less invested in what happens on the field either.

If you haven't seen it yet, the bonus episode where they follow up on various people from across the seasons to see where they are now is really great. And more thoroughly condemns the college football system than any of the seasons themselves (even though one player is now with the Rams, which I didn't know).

Last football season (switching to Basketball next year) coming on 28 July. Hard to tell if the coach is an A-hole like th other two from the brief trailer.

https://twitter.com/LastChanceU/status/1275427136598409216?s=20

Initially I thought "booooo" to basketball, but after The Last Dance I'll give it a go. Still a pity it's the last football season

It's back on. Really enjoyed the first two episodes. A coach who's more like a normal person, and some really likeable characters so far.

I'm only one episode in and it seems like it'll be a decent season. Still figuring out who the interesting players are but the coach seems likeable enough. Maybe it will be discussed in future episodes but there doesn't seem to be any players from major colleges who dropped to JuCo for academic or discipline reasons like there were in the other 2 colleges featured in previous seasons so that's a pity if that turns out to be the case.

I was confused at the start when they were showing the banners and they had one that said '2018 National Champions' as I don't remember them or any team from out west being in the mix anytime in the other seasons. But after a bit go Googling, it seems that there are 2 JuCo organisations, one national and one just for California and they both call their champions, the 'National Champions'. A bit cheeky of the California lads giving themselves that title but I suppose this is a country where the Superbowl, NBA and MLB champions call themselves World Champions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I'm only one episode in and it seems like it'll be a decent season. Still figuring out who the interesting players are but the coach seems likeable enough. Maybe it will be discussed in future episodes but there doesn't seem to be any players from major colleges who dropped to JuCo for academic or discipline reasons like there were in the other 2 colleges featured in previous seasons so that's a pity if that turns out to be the case.

I was confused at the start when they were showing the banners and they had one that said '2018 National Champions' as I don't remember them or any team from out west being in the mix anytime in the other seasons. But after a bit go Googling, it seems that there are 2 JuCo organisations, one national and one just for California and they both call their champions, the 'National Champions'. A bit cheeky of the California lads giving themselves that title but I suppose this is a country where the Superbowl, NBA and MLB champions call themselves World Champions!

I could be wrong but from the first Episode I picked up that they don't have any (Or very little) scholarships and so no player would bother to drop down to them to play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Initially I thought "booooo" to basketball, but after The Last Dance I'll give it a go. Still a pity it's the last football season

Check out Hoop dreams if you haven't seen it. It's a very famous documentary following two high school kids from Chicago and their attempts to make it to the NBA. It's from 1994 but is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Good 1st episode. Coach doesn't seem like the egotistical, potty mouthed coaches of the other episodes.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but from the first Episode I picked up that they don't have any (Or very little) scholarships and so no player would bother to drop down to them to play.

You're right. They did say they don't offer scholarships or board and I think they even said at one stage in episode 1 that they don't even provide meals. So yeah, a player from a top college probably wouldn't drop down to a California Juco if he had to.

My guess is there's a big gulf in class from the teams we saw in earlier series compared to this lot but I wonder is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Very different season. Coach is a far better man that all the previous ones.
    Episode 4 and its a good watch

Advertisement