Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Return dates for 2020

• 24-05-2020 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

What dates are secondary’s going back in Aug ? Obviously a lot up in the air, but we’re being asked for return dates this week & I wanted to see what dates are most going back. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

We're back the 31st. Whatever way the weeks work this year, we're working up to the 4th of June 2021, so that means a later start in August.
    Leaving Cert 2021 isn't until the 9th of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We haven’t decided yet but I think it will be 31st August.
    I have heard of one school coming back Wednesday 26th August!! They are going to do 2 Croke Park days and then have 2 days off during the year I think....an extra long May bank holiday and I think the last Friday off in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We are looking at the 31st. However in light of the current situation there’s now a back up plan of potentially using croke park hours to come in the 28th if we need it for prepping or splitting up our usual start to school with smaller groups

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It will be a later start due to a later finish.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

We’re back on August 31. It is the latest return for many years. I reckon the last time we returned this late was in 2005, when we reopened on August 30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭Treppen

Bit Before Aug31st as we are -thankfully- front loading Croke park.

Although who the hell knows. They'll probably have us in doing face mask training for 5 days, and measuring out 1.5m for social distancing. And there will always be someone who's really really into it and asking very important questions, which always makes it somewhat funny and bearable to witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

August 28th won our staff vote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

August 27 for a Croke Park day- so not happy about that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Emma o kelly with the return to school news
    Should just make her Minister at this stage

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0527/1143040-school-reopening-planning/

Seeing mentioning in posts above of front loading croke parks hours just makes me so angry.

Are the union going to seek ANY type of dispensation of those hours given the hours and hours of extra “cpd” we have done every week since March ?
    All of it if our own accord. And all of it much more valuable than any croke park hours I’ve ever completed ?
    And this will continue next year. But we will have to find time for Croke Park hours too?
    Be grand. Sure we don’t have families or lives of our own.

km79 wrote: »
    Emma o kelly with the return to school news
    Should just make her Minister at this stage

Seeing mentioning in posts above of front loading croke parks hours just makes me so angry.

Are the union going to seek ANY type of dispensation of those hours given the hours and hours of extra “cpd” we have done every week since March ?
    All of it if our own accord. And all of it much more valuable than any croke park hours I’ve ever completed ?
    And this will continue next year. But we will have to find time for Croke Park hours too?
    Be grand. Sure we don’t have families or lives of our own.

The restrictions could be relaxed even further by June 8th. So, its wait and see.

Has anyone else heard the word "Blended Learning" lately??

This seems to be the new buzzword or prep word for September.

We will probably have classes in September on site. But they could be empty with students still at home. Staggered days with some class contact time and other times online learning.

• Advertisement

solerina wrote: »
    August 27 for a Croke Park day- so not happy about that !!

Im actually okay when we do that. We usually come back an extra day early for prep then, then another day off in September and the day before or after Paddys day. Nice little way to break up the year.

The restrictions could be relaxed even further by June 8th. So, its wait and see.

Has anyone else heard the word "Blended Learning" lately??

This seems to be the new buzzword or prep word for September.

We will probably have classes in September on site. But they could be empty with students still at home. Staggered days with some class contact time and other times online learning.

Yes we were planning for “blended learning” in September.

Millem wrote: »
    Yes we were planning for “blended learning” in September.

From everything I’ve heard so far it sounds like the “blended learning “ will be for students and the teaching will basically be morning noon and night
    And we will have no choice but to video conference our classes

I really hope that public health matters improve dramatically by September to try and avoid a complete mess
    And if they don’t that guidance is uniform for all schools AND unions engage with members at the earliest possible opportunity
    That will likely be mid August though ......

Roadmap in two weeks
    Political pressure to reduce social distancing in schools no matter what public health guidance says

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

Years (and years) ago when I was attempting to study History for my leaving I remember hearing the term RealPolitik, I think it was Bismark? If ever political realities are going to hit home I think they will over this. I can see the 1m distancing coming in before too long irrespective of what NPHET have to say. Of course it will be couched in very nice terms but realpolitik will win out I feel.

Im actually okay when we do that. We usually come back an extra day early for prep then, then another day off in September and the day before or after Paddys day. Nice little way to break up the year.

I don’t see why we give up a day of holidays to sit and have meetings that are all mostly box ticking exercises just to have a few hours done, it’s bad enough doing them after work on a Thursday without losing a days holiday over them, I wouldn’t mind if they were actually productive !!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

Welcome to 24/7 teachiing!
    Forget Croke Park hours,we must have done at the very least 5 years worth since March 12th!
    Could you imagine that a school did CP hours recently,they must be awful idiots to put up with a plonker of a Principal that would even consider this.
    The Unions have been worse than useless in the past few agreements regarding working conditions.
    Paschal must realise that if he starts AUSTERITY again the workers of Ireland will be out on the streets.
    Teaching has turned into a very selfish ME,ME,ME existence.
    Many staff do not give a sh1t about the collective,as long as they get what they want abd feck the rest of ye.
    A job with one of the Multi national supermarkets would provide a better lifestyle than the sh1t teachers have to put up with.

Hope ye all got your virtual end of year drinks and dinners!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Edited coz looking again the dates don't look right.

ethical wrote: »
    Hope ye all got your virtual end of year drinks and dinners!
    �� same as every year virtual but still non existent !!

solerina wrote: »
    �� same as every year virtual but still non existent !!

I got a metaphorical bunch of flowers one year. Delighted I was.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/no-extra-funds-for-irish-schools-to-tackle-covid-19-fallout-1002571.html

Not sure what the teacher bashers over in AH will make of this ?
    Will be our fault somehow! Maybe we should be providing the sanitizer and PPE ......save the dept a few pound !

km79 wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/no-extra-funds-for-irish-schools-to-tackle-covid-19-fallout-1002571.html

Not sure what the teacher bashers over in AH will make of this ?
    Will be our fault somehow! Maybe we should be providing the sanitizer and PPE ......save the dept a few pound !

Ya it's a bit the junior and leaving cert doesn't cost any money, cos if it it did we could have saved a fortune. Cos all markers, supervisors, exams aide and invigilators work for free... And definitely don't get expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Perhaps I am missing the point, but if the government is pushing hard for a return by the end of August and commentators, journalists, parents, etc are backing this with research, examples from other countries, how come the Leaving Certificate could not take place a few weeks beforehand?

Joe, Ciara, the students 'union', the government and many parents were saying how unsafe it was going to be, but now push for openings? I'm genuinely confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Perhaps I am missing the point, but if the government is pushing hard for a return by the end of August and commentators, journalists, parents, etc are backing this with research, examples from other countries, how come the Leaving Certificate could not take place a few weeks beforehand?

Joe, Ciara, the students 'union', the government and many parents were saying how unsafe it was going to be, but now push for openings? I'm genuinely confused.

They needed to save money. That was the primary reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

This is where the chickens will come home to roost following the blank cheque book of the last few months, and its only the beginning.

The covid payment of €350 per week was admirable, but has no oversight.
    Thousands of part time workers like students who have no significant financial obligations have been getting €350 per week. My sister in law picked it up having previously earned less than €150 a week while in college. She moved home to finish her study and stopped paying rent. Now she has just splashed out €2500 on a car for herself!
    There must have been tens of millions thrown out like snuff at a wake, but yet we don't have to buy hand sanitiser

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

This is where the chickens will come home to roost following the blank cheque book of the last few months, and its only the beginning.

Thousands of part time workers like students who have no significant financial obligations have been getting €350 per week. My sister in law picked it up having previously earned less than €150 a week while in college. She moved home to finish her study and stopped paying rent. Now she has just splashed out €2500 on a car for herself!
    There must have been tens of millions thrown out like snuff at a wake, but yet we don't have to buy hand sanitiser

Children can't vote.

Leaving aside the equity and morality etc. Giving everyone money is a form of pump priming (from my secondary school economics).
    More than likely your sister in law will put all that money back into the economy, and the multiplier effect follows.
    Giving thousands to businesses might only cover loans etc. And then the chances of closure are very high, which as you know diverts money to banks & larger creditors (f'all multiplier effect there).

It's odd them going on about not being able to afford hand sanitizer. I presume they hope parents will cough up as they might be desperate to get back to work etc.

I wonder do the TDs have to pay a voluntary contribution every year to pay for toilet roll and soap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

The department think we have enough left over from using less electricity and heating since march..... it'll be grand sure.🙄

We are actually back 28th August.
    I wouldn’t mind those croke park hours as much if we could do them online etc. Our staff meetings are working out so much better since lock down tbh. Much more efficient.

• Advertisement
Advertisement