Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

look at your student undergrad handbook it should say the teaching council requirements in it, i know thats where i found out about geography and history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭ Laurie Fat Thumb

lynch5009 wrote: »
    Hi! I wish to apply the do the PME next year. My first subject is Maths , but I dont know if my second subject meets the teachers council requirements.

I did a 4 year health profession related course (Level 8) in 2011. In total I have 60 Credits of biology related modules completed. However 20 credits of those are Pathology or Physiology modules (PATH 30010 Systematic Pathology, PATH30070 Mechanisms of Disease are the Pathology modules from UCD)

Does anyone know if these modules meet the teachers council requirements to teach LC biology? Or how do I go about checking with the TC?

I also graduated from a health profession related course. My pathology and physiology modules counted for Biology registration no problem. I'd say the main thing to consider is whether the biology modules you did will fulfill all the biology content requirements rather than whether the biology modules you have done will count as credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lynch5009

Hi guys, I read on the teachers council requirements to teach certain subjects that you need 10 credits in both chemistry and physics to teach JC Science (Given you meet the requirements to teach LC Biology). However I understand it is ultimately up to the school what subjects you teach, regardless of what requirements you meet. Has anyone experienced that they were not allowed to teach JC Science because they didnt meet these requirement??

Im asking this because Im assuming Science teaching jobs would be easier to come by than Biology teaching jobs.

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭trixie11

Hi, looking to speak to someone who has done or is currently doing the one post primary Hibernia course. I'm reading alot about it being more a full time course than part time. I don't work at the minute but I have small kids. I'm worried how I would juggle it with kids.has anyone done this? Also I was looking at maths and physics but its been over 10years since I did my degree

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

PME.
    So I'm looking into this as my daughter is showing interest in post primary teaching..

Are there a list of primary degrees which have already been assessed suitable that along with the PME qualify a person to teach specific subjects ??

I've just started looking but from what I see it seems each student applies each time detailing subjects taken etc, I'd expected a list but can't see such..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 adelicaaa

_Brian wrote: »
    PME.
    So I'm looking into this as my daughter is showing interest in post primary teaching..

Are there a list of primary degrees which have already been assessed suitable that along with the PME qualify a person to teach specific subjects ??

I've just started looking but from what I see it seems each student applies each time detailing subjects taken etc, I'd expected a list but can't see such..

https://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Publications/Registration/Documents/Autoquals-updated-25-April-2013.pdf

This document should serve your purpose Brian but it is five years old. It lists the requirements for each teaching subject and continues on to list courses that satisfy different teaching subjects broken down by institution. My advice would be to contact the teaching council and the institution before making any final decisions of course but this should serve as a guideline for now. Good luck to your daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

adelicaaa wrote: »
    https://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Publications/Registration/Documents/Autoquals-updated-25-April-2013.pdf

This document should serve your purpose Brian but it is five years old. It lists the requirements for each teaching subject and continues on to list courses that satisfy different teaching subjects broken down by institution. My advice would be to contact the teaching council and the institution before making any final decisions of course but this should serve as a guideline for now. Good luck to your daughter.

Thanks..
    I'd been looking at that document but missed where it listed approved primary degrees...

This gets me started..

Trying to be up to speed so we can work a solution together..

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

lynch5009 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I read on the teachers council requirements to teach certain subjects that you need 10 credits in both chemistry and physics to teach JC Science (Given you meet the requirements to teach LC Biology). However I understand it is ultimately up to the school what subjects you teach, regardless of what requirements you meet. Has anyone experienced that they were not allowed to teach JC Science because they didnt meet these requirement??

Im asking this because Im assuming Science teaching jobs would be easier to come by than Biology teaching jobs.

Thanks!!

I'd like to know this too as I'm considering doing the PME next year but my degree is only recognised for Biology teaching (I have chemistry but not physics in my undergrad). Alternatively, if I did complete the PME is there a way I could make up the requisite credits for Physics at a later stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

That famous "list" of degrees no longer exists and you now have to pay €200 to get your degree assessed regardless of where you did your degree or what you did it in. My degree was on the list for one subject (even though I am registered for a different one) and if I now want to add that original subject to my qualifications I have to pay €200 and wait 12 weeks even though it was on the "list" for years! Crazzzzyyyyy! It really has nothing to do with monitoring the profession, it's just a money making scam!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Coolaboolanb

PME2 post primary
    Any ideas on what to do for professional research project? No clue what to do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

PME2 post primary
    Any ideas on what to do for professional research project? No clue what to do

Something topical is handiest. Students response to tech in the classroom, rote vs. active learning, loads of literature and opportunities to carry out your own research with those two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fafftastic

Hey all, considering doing the PME next year, ideally in trinity or DCU as they'd be the easiest commute. Any recommendations on one vs the other? I know it's essentially the same course but in terms of lecturers, how the courses are run etc. My subjects would be French and Spanish. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 esol

I’m a recent graduate with a 2.1 BA (Hons) degree that includes one of the main European languages. I’ve always considered becoming a secondary teacher. Last year I did the short course to qualify as a teacher of English for speakers of other languages and I’ve been happily doing that job since then.

I really enjoy my work. I’m learning and improving a little bit at a time and I can see myself continuing in the same job for a few years, but eventually I think I’d like to move into the more structured school system. Languages have always been my strength so if I become a secondary teacher, my main subjects will probably be English and two European languages.

I have already studied writing and media production as well as the foreign language, but I realise that I would still have to study the other language (in which I got LC honours) to degree level and take modules in English literature. I think the best option for me would be to study the additional modules part-time. Obviously I would also need a PME.

Are there any problems with accreditation of Open University qualifications when it comes to registering with the Teaching Council in Ireland? Is it possible (and realistic) to study additional modules this way?

I think I only meet the ECTS requirement for one curricular subject (but I also have some political/social studies modules in years 3 & 4). Would it be a better bet to study additional subjects to degree level first and then look into the PME, or to treat a PME as a priority and add additional subjects later?

I think that part-time English teaching combined with part-time study might give me more valuable experience that I could draw on for practical assignments for a PME (I think I lacked this when I did my ESOL training, which was a shame but no big deal in the end). I’m interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

If you definitely have enough credits in one of French, German or Spanish and you are certain you want to become a secondary school teacher then I would start my training as soon as possible. I wouldn't bother faffing around trying to get credits in an additional subject if you already have one in demand subject. I definitely would not pursue extra credits in English as this subject is not in demand like foreign languages.

To be it in perspective, I am officially recognised for one foreign language and another non core subject. I am just short of a few credits in my 2nd foreign language but as I studied it and lived in the country for several years, I am teaching it along with my 1st foreign language. Once you are in school you can be asked to teach anything and if you already have one foreign language that gives you great leverage. I would not bother with English at all (as I know lots of trained English teachers still subbing) but that's just my opinion.

Best of luck with it!

quote="esol;108668788"]I’m a recent graduate with a 2.1 BA (Hons) degree that includes one of the main European languages. I’ve always considered becoming a secondary teacher. Last year I did the short course to qualify as a teacher of English for speakers of other languages and I’ve been happily doing that job since then.

I really enjoy my work. I’m learning and improving a little bit at a time and I can see myself continuing in the same job for a few years, but eventually I think I’d like to move into the more structured school system. Languages have always been my strength so if I become a secondary teacher, my main subjects will probably be English and two European languages.

I have already studied writing and media production as well as the foreign language, but I realise that I would still have to study the other language (in which I got LC honours) to degree level and take modules in English literature. I think the best option for me would be to study the additional modules part-time. Obviously I would also need a PME.

Are there any problems with accreditation of Open University qualifications when it comes to registering with the Teaching Council in Ireland? Is it possible (and realistic) to study additional modules this way?

I think I only meet the ECTS requirement for one curricular subject (but I also have some political/social studies modules in years 3 & 4). Would it be a better bet to study additional subjects to degree level first and then look into the PME, or to treat a PME as a priority and add additional subjects later?

I think that part-time English teaching combined with part-time study might give me more valuable experience that I could draw on for practical assignments for a PME (I think I lacked this when I did my ESOL training, which was a shame but no big deal in the end). I’m interested in hearing your thoughts.

Thank you.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Johnmurphy321

Hi, I’m just looking for information the entry requirements to teach business. I already have an arts degree in geography so I can teach that but I’m doing a masters level 9 in food business and innovation so would that allow me to teach business as my second subject? How can I get my modules checked before applying and if i don’t have the 60 ects in business is there anyway I could take on extra modules? I heard that UCD allow you to do extra modules but if anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

Degree is in Biology. Anyone know where I can take a course to get the physics credits to teach JC Science or where I could find this information. TC could not help. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Chris_G

Does anyone know what happens if you are unable to secure a PME placement before you start the course. I am still emailing and ringing schools and haven't been able to get a yes yet, its hard enough to get a no out of them.

if you could try and go and call into schools in person and ask to see the deputy principal. this is much more personal, im chasing a job myself in a local school and went in to meet the dp the other day in her offic and had the chat and she basically said she would have plenty of subbing and possibilty of a a few hours in my subjects this year, theres jobs coming up in the school which is why i want to sub in it. basically treat it like an interveiew for the year. you need to get inside knowlodge in schools and management and call in person , basically play the game

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ni.mhearnog

Hi, looking information on the PME in Galway and also the Irish language course the MGO. Just wondering has anyone done either of these or know anything about them to compare? I have a degree in Irish, I am a mature student who took up Irish via a diploma and then decided on the degree and would now like to teach. I live in Tyrone (from the south) but my leaving cert Maths isn't acceptable up here to do the PGCE so I'm hoping to apply this year for the PME/MGO. I applied last year for the MGO and didn't get in, so this time round I will have a years experience working full time as a classroom assistant in an Irish language secondary school as well as some youth club experience outside of that so I'm hoping for a more successful application this time round.

So if anyone could shed any light on either course I'd really appreciate it. From the interview last time round which was just the Irish language interview (I never made it past that , I was so flustered with a different accent having been learning Ulster Irish, rectified this year) there seemed to be a big focus on technology and specifically IPad's as part of the course teaching for the MGO. Also I'd appreciate any information on what the interview involves for either course. (Living in hope i get that far).

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

Hi All,

I have so many questions......I have been on the fence for a very long time so perhaps this may help.
    1. I think I want to do the PME for 2nd level teaching starting in September but I don't know where. I think I want to do it in Dublin but I don't know which college to choose, does anyone know how they vary (whats the main differences between the courses in the various Dublin colleges).
    2. Are many of the people in a particular college perhaps a little older than your typical PME student (I'm 3 years out of my Bachelors and I feel like I'm past it :P I would feel so old walking into a room full of 21/22 year olds-never mind the teenagers.
    3. Would anyone recommend any of the colleges over another?
    4. Perhaps a bit shallow but what is your social life like as a PME student/teacher?
    5. I am a quiet, non intimidating individual, bit of a push over tbh, how do I not die in a classroom :P
    6. Whats your typical day as a PME student like? I looked up one of the colleges timetables and seen aside from teaching placement, lectures days are...sparsely populated-some days only had one lecture on. Most days seemed to have 2 or 3 lectures only, some of these were on very late in the evening. How do you dill your days, do you just work during your free time or is the course load very intense that all your spare time is dedicated to it. Does doing a PME feel like a part time course? If I am to do it, I think I want to move away from the city I am currently in, which would mean having to give up a really good job. I don't know if I want to make that commitment if the PME is not that large of a toll (I would not be able to maintain my job with placement, even if I was to do Hibernia instead, but moving to the most expensive city in the country to only be in college maybe a very silly decision if I'll only be on campus max 12 hours a week).
    7. Does anyone have any advice for starting a PME in general?

• Advertisement

I would keep away from Hibernia, a lot of schools don't like it on a cv. I would personally go for Maynooth, its hardest to get a place in but very good for mature students lots of them in late 20s doing it when I was there. Also we did a group thesis for our finals and it was 10000 words so we all only had around 3000 words each. the coursework was very easy for a masters which was just as well because most could be boring enough. Compared to DCU UCD and Trinity we had a very easy run to get a masters. the timetable is sparse because there trying to drag a decent 1 year course into 2 years and not a lot to do in it. we attended college 8 days in the second semester of PME. That's 8 days we had to be in from January to May

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

Has anyone else had trouble categorising modules in the subject declaration forms?

I'm trying to enrol in the modern languages stream but the module titles on my undergraduate course were quite broad (e.g. We studied "Culture" for 15 credits, and not "Poetry" for 5, "Film" for 5 etc...).

When I first researched the PME a few years ago, the Teaching Council listed specific undergraduate degrees instead of asking for a breakdown of modules. My programme appeared on that list, but now it's very difficult to place the subjects into the fields provided on the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 FrodoNaggins

Hi Lads

Quick question filling out the pme application form for history. I was just wondering can I put down relevant archaeology modules that deal with irish history also.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 33 catlin.

Hi all,

I am hoping to get some advice on the PME Post Primary degree. I completed my undergrad degree in NUIG in 2018, but only achieved a 2.2 degree.

I was planning to apply for the PME beginning in September 2020 but the more research I do the more unrealistic this is looking.

I’ve used the entry requirement point calculator and I’m falling short by 2/3 points for both of my subjects as their points seem to be amongst some of the higher ones for 2019/20.

I am open to studying anywhere in Ireland and have also considered the Hibernia route, however ideally I would be doing a NUI PME.

Additionally, I’m going to enrol and complete an online TEFL course over the next 3/4 weeks in order to have some sort of extra qualification, although I’m not sure this will aid my application in anyway, I’m sure it won’t hurt it either.

Does anyone have experience of being offered a place even after falling short of the “entry requirement points”?
    Or would you think applying is a waste of time given these circumstances?

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated as time is running out and I’m hoping to make a decision sooner rather than later.

Thank you in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TDawg1990

Hi, I'm just wondering is there a thesis for the Post Primary course? Thanks.

TDawg1990 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just wondering is there a thesis for the Post Primary course? Thanks.
    Sort of. There's a 20 credit module called "Research Methods and Research Project".

catlin. wrote: »
    I’m going to enrol and complete an online TEFL course over the next 3/4 weeks in order to have some sort of extra qualification, although I’m not sure this will aid my application in anyway, I’m sure it won’t hurt it either.
    I'm only seeing this now but I hope I can be of some help. Make sure that it's a recognised TEFL course with at least six hours of actual classroom practice. It could be considerably more expesive, but without ACELS accreditation you won't be eligible to work in a language school in Ireland.

The job itself is quite different from the training, so I wouldn't recommend doing the TEFL course if you don't intend to work in a language school for a while. It's useful experience if you treat it like an internship for secondary teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Hi all, hope you're well and safe.

Has anyone done the PME interview in MIC previously and are there any pointers you could share regarding kinds of questions etc.? I want to cover all bases.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pollymv1

X2 on Hibernia, take it from me. I've worked at Hibernia - they are money grabbers and their grads are frowned upon in schools. Having studied at DCU, the two don't compare.

During the pandemic too, students suffer because staff are unsupported. The fees are extortionate, this is not a real educational facility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭saram

Which PME course if any would you recommend to study to become a qualified primary school teacher if you had a very young family (2 very young kids) to consider too?

Just trying to weigh up options and decide if a PME is for me when I move back home after being abroad for a long time.

Hibernia appears the most flexible but it seems to be less attractive to potential employers.

Advertisement