Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Quiz marque 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

Yeah!

Your question please.

I’ll stick with Lough Corrib: Commander Beechchey’s Admiralty Chart of Lough Corrib was published in 1846. Since then, there has only been one other survey and published chart of the lake. By whom and/or year of publication?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

feargale wrote: »
    Herman Melville.

Too late! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

WildWater wrote: »
    I’ll stick with Lough Corrib: Commander Beechchey’s Admiralty Chart of Lough Corrib was published in 1846. Since then, there has only been one other survey and published chart of the lake. By whom and/or year of publication?

By Ordinance Survey. I think not long afterwards. 1851?

New Home wrote: »
    Too late! :)

I know. I've deleted it. Why did nobody tell us the quiz was moving house? Did you move in the middle of the night?

By Ordinance Survey. I think not long afterwards. 1851?

No, not even close on either. You need to change century.

• Advertisement

No, not even close on either. You need to change century.

Praeger?

Praeger?

I’ve no idea who/what that is.

Nobody else is giving this a go so I may as well answer it. A gentleman by the name of Trevor Northage conducted a survey of the lake (AFAIK without any funding), beginning around 2007, and published a chart and chart book in 2014.

I’ve no idea who/what that is.

Nobody else is giving this a go so I may as well answer it. A gentleman by the name of Trevor Northage conducted a survey of the lake (AFAIK without any funding), beginning around 2007, and published a chart and chart book in 2014.

Another question from you?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I will throw in another question just to keep things moving - on what date did the British Penny Black stamp become official postage?

looksee wrote: »
    I will throw in another question just to keep things moving - on what date did the British Penny Black stamp become official postage?

• Advertisement

Any chance anyone could expand on that a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Didn’t see a previous answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Any chance anyone could expand on that a bit?

Random guess - 01/01/1840?

No, not as tidy as that!

No, not as tidy as that!

I think May. Not sure. Will I get extra credit if I tell you that a Clareman designed the planned accompanying stationery?

You are right about May, They were available from 1st May but only became official on 6th May.
    Will I get extra credit if I tell you that a Clareman designed the planned accompanying stationery

Definitely! Tell you what, you can ask an extra question :D

You are right about May, They were available from 1st May but only became official on 6th May.

William Mulready (1786-1863) born in Ennis, emigrated to London with his family in 1792. His stationery was not a commercial success.

Question:

What links:
    Australia,
    Cyprus (de jure),
    Madagascar,
    Taiwan (technically)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They're all island states, but you may have something else in mind.

They're all island states, but you may have something else in mind.

I have indeed. Island ( or at least water-locked in deference to the continent of Australia) countries that........?

This thread is getting very slow. Are senile brains beginning to atrophy? I know mine is.

• Advertisement

This thread is getting very slow. Are senile brains beginning to atrophy? I know mine is.
    Just stuck on the 'islands' question.

Just stuck on the 'islands' question.

I'll give it until 9 p.m.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Lol, I was going to ask that one NH but I figured there were too many, at least I have seen them recently. If you don't mind whether they are in order I can do some of them:

Cherubim, Serafim, Choirs, Archangels, you know what, I can't remember any more.
    Thrones, Dominions, Principalities and Angels are more.

I assume we're just sticking with Catholic classifications, as there are other Jewish and Islamic angelic ranks.

Right. The missing one was Virtues. :)

According to Wiki-know-it-all, they are:

One more question each, please and thank you. :)

I read your helpful links NH, or at least I glanced at some of them, and someone needed a day job. If I had generated some f that nonsense as I child I would have been told by my mum, I can find you something to do!

I will go and ponder on a question. I think Srameen still owes us several...

What is/was a clasp locker.

I'm thinking handcuffs. I'm sure I'm waaaaaay off, but...

Wait - it could also be that little oval hoop you find on the side of necklaces' and bracelets' clasps to secure them - the other side usually has a little button/sphere the hoop can wrap itself around. Again, most likely wrong, but maybe my definition will catch on. :/

Newhome, no not either of those.

What is/was a clasp locker.
    A Zip.

Odd one out and why...

Bullfinch
    Crossbill
    Brambling
    Linnet
    Siskin
    Twite
    Yellowhammer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Odd one out and why...

Bullfinch
    Crossbill
    Brambling
    Linnet
    Siskin
    Twite
    Yellowhammer.

All finches apart from the yellowhammer?

Advertisement