Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to The Future Build The DeLorean

• 06-01-2017 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Hey All,
    I have decided to build my own model DeLorean and Post up weekly updates and Pictures to show you my progress, I have a crazy infatuation with Back to the future and always wanted a Model DeLorean Time Machine,

I subscribed to this Link https://www.eaglemoss-secure.com/back-to-the-future/orderarea.html.....it was a bit of a pain as I had to call them if I was an Irish customer....I think if it was anything else I probably wouldn't have bothered, But as I said I love back to the Future and I think this will be cool, so I called signed up and here I am....

also I am aware that this will end up costing a fortune, But I just gave up smoking and decided to spend my cig money on this, Really hope people decide to do this to as Id love to see your progress also,

Cheers,
    Fox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭ozmo

I got just the first magazine - as the magazine and screwdriver alone looked decent. The parts are very good quality and fit together extremely well.

Found it very hard to find anywhere how many magazines it consists of... just noticed it in your link - Wont complete it myself but I'd be very interested in seeing one being built.... Looks like it will be a very solid model.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

A word of warning with these things.. Have you worked out the total cost? Can be €1000+ to get all the bits.

Also, this sort of part build mags have been will known to "finish production" before people get all the bits.

BBC Watchdog has featured them more than once.

I enjoy building models myself but would never start one of these..

Link says 130 issues - at about 11 euros an issue

But it says in the fine print that some "special" issues may be more expensive.

So possibly nearer to €1500 and over two and half years to build..... that's why I'm out.

But there is a good thread on a previous "build it" magazine here where the op is having a very positive experience Building the Millennium falcon.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93649964

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

130 issues, at £35.96 each? So maybe €43.96 a month? Over £4500, or well over €5,500 for a model?

the_syco wrote: »
    130 issues, at £35.96 each? So maybe €43.96 a month?

Think that's the monthly cost for 4 magazines - so about 1500 in total I think? Plus the stand and Lights/Electrics may not be included in that?

Its really huge and seems to have a lot of cast metal though - so wouldn't be a cheap kit to sell. But yeah not for me either.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Again as I said the cost is not really an issue as the love for this movie makes me want to do it (I know pretty lame) anyway I would be spending this money on something else if I didn't do this....So again I am not really too upset about how much this is going to cost as its a cool hobby! also I am pretty sure They will prob do the 3 cars from each movies as they are all slightly different,

either way I am happy to go ahead with the build and if it turns out to be crappy then I can also cancel it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

I am looking at building this too, but just ordered at my local newsagent (I'm rarely at home when the post is delivered, and have had issues with my postman dropping packages in random locations!).

I joined a Facebook group for this too (Build Back To The Future Delorean Eaglemoss 1:8 Group), where people are posting their construction videos and plans for customising the model (3D printing, weathering, making the car from Parts 2 or 3, etc.).

If you use the promo code "DeLorean" when subscribing with Eaglemoss you get parts 1, 2 & 3 for free. Not sure if you can apply this code now, but others in the FB group have gone back and had it applied...

Looking forward to your posts! :)

F00t13f4n wrote: »
    I am looking at building this too, but just ordered at my local newsagent (I'm rarely at home when the post is delivered, and have had issues with my postman dropping packages in random locations!).

I joined a Facebook group for this too (Build Back To The Future Delorean Eaglemoss 1:8 Group), where people are posting their construction videos and plans for customising the model (3D printing, weathering, making the car from Parts 2 or 3, etc.).

If you use the promo code "DeLorean" when subscribing with Eaglemoss you get parts 1, 2 & 3 for free. Not sure if you can apply this code now, but others in the FB group have gone back and had it applied...

Looking forward to your posts! :)
    Awesome!!! I will check out the Facebook group and the promo code.......  I still haven't received my copy's yet, But when I do  cant wait to get started!!

Got Issue 1,2 AND 3 in the post yesterday and I was Amazed by the quality and weight of the parts, Its also 1.8 scale which means its going to be massive...Hope you Like what I did so far, 

406710.png
    I got a free Folder with the first delivery, its pretty awesome and will keep my magazines in pristine condition :-)

406711.png
    Issue 1 is is above Pretty easy Build,...the stickers on the Number Plate, probably the hardest part...had to use a tweezers in the end to get it straight...still not as straight as Id like, but still..I will live ha,
    406712.png

Issue 2 & 3 very easy, just the wheel and Wing of the car, the detail in both are amazing!!! brush marks on the wing adding extra effect,...
    406713.png406714.png406715.png

To sum up, I am very happy with the way its turning out, and just the sheer size of this thing is going to be amazing!!! Already counting down the days to the next issue!!!

Thanks,
    G

• Registered Users Posts: 31 stabaak

Fox Hound wrote: »
    Hey All,
    I have decided to build my own model DeLorean and Post up weekly updates and Pictures to show you my progress, I have a crazy infatuation with Back to the future and always wanted a Model DeLorean Time Machine,

I subscribed to this Link https://www.eaglemoss-secure.com/back-to-the-future/orderarea.html.....it was a bit of a pain as I had to call them if I was an Irish customer....I think if it was anything else I probably wouldn't have bothered, But as I said I love back to the Future and I think this will be cool, so I called signed up and here I am....

also I am aware that this will end up costing a fortune, But I just gave up smoking and decided to spend my cig money on this, Really hope people decide to do this to as Id love to see your progress also,

Cheers,
    Fox
    Hi Fox just got my first 3 issues today plus folder.
    Really looking forward to building it.
    Like yourself I'm a BTTF nut so I'm not really concerned about the cost tho I'm slightly concerned about eaglemoss and if they will see this true

• Advertisement

Y
    stabaak wrote: »
    Fox Hound wrote: »
    Hey All,

Cheers,
    Fox
    Hi Fox just got my first 3 issues today plus folder.
    Really looking forward to building it.
    Like yourself I'm a BTTF nut so I'm not really concerned about the cost tho I'm slightly concerned about eaglemoss and if they will see this true
    Yeah I would be heart broken if I found out half way through that they discontinued it....at the moment tho its looking good, I Joined the Facebook group, the link was given in earlier comments, and that is really good as people post up lots of great info, and feedback about delays,

feel free to post your pics up hear and let me know how you are getting on with the build,
    on a side note my issues 4,5,6, and 7 are all on the way so keep an eye on this space for the next update of how the De Lorean is coming along,

Fox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    A word of warning with these things.. Have you worked out the total cost? Can be €1000+ to get all the bits.

Also, this sort of part build mags have been will known to "finish production" before people get all the bits.

That'd be my biggest fear too, tbh. It'd be like spending a few years doing an extremely complicated jigsaw only to find out your a few pieces short.

Some anti-climax there.

prinzeugen wrote: »

That'd be my biggest fear too, tbh. It'd be like spending a few years doing an extremely complicated jigsaw only to find out your a few pieces short.

Some anti-climax there.
    It is a worry to be honest, But hopefully it goes the whole hog.....some pictures of the finished Model do look amazing,
    and Im pretty sure I could make a fortune off this if I decided to ever sell it as collectors go mad for this stuff...also it is the only 1:8 scale I can see on the market,
    Should be getting my Seconded delivery very soon, so this thread will be updated as soon as I have it with more pictures

Delivery Two of my back to the future Model last Friday, So spent about 3 hours Saturday putting it together,....407855.JPG    
    Again I have no complaints with the parts, they are all top quality and the it makes me more and more excited about the end product....
    407857.JPG
    Issue 4, is Mr.Fusion....By fare one of the coolest props I have had to build to date,,, and also it was a bit tricky, it came with two springs that needed to be fitted at the bottom, so that the lid would spring back shut......however the springs are the smallest things I have ever dealt with so if attempting this, be prepared for foul mouth rants until you get them in :-)
    407858.PNG
    407860.JPG
    Issue Five and six where the wheel suspension nothing tricky, but the wheel suspension is made for the wheels to fold under the car Like the Delorean in the 2nd movie...this I thought was pretty cool
    407862.JPG

407863.JPG

The last issue was the steering rack, also another simple build,   Starting to take shape now and again cant wait for the next 4 issues, In the mean Time if anybody else is building and would like to share, Please do, 

Thanks,
    Fox

My 3rd delivery of Eaglemoss's Build the Delorean arrived yesterday along with some free Gifts :-), I couldn't wait to get home and start building,

Here is what I got in delivery number 3:

Free "Outatime" Licence Plate, full size:
    410501.png
    Issue 8-11:
     410502.png
    Issue 8:
    Issue 8 was a simple build and was my second wheel to put together, I heard from other forums and the Official Facebook page that people got wheels that didn't match in color, Luckily for me, mine are perfect,...
    410503.png
    Issue 9:
    Issue 9 was a role bar and a cover for underneath the Delorean, pretty easy to put together and Nothing too hard here, I do like that we are building this model Like the way an actual deloren was built in the factory,
    410504.png
    Issue 10:
    This is clearly the Issue of the the month, its the full length Chassie, this was my fav build this month as I got to attache the suspension and the wheels from previous issues and really gives me an Idea how big this thing is going to be :-) it was awesome putting it together and wasn't that hard either:-)
    410505.png

The Completed Version of all these parts is awesome, and plus I have less loose parts no at home, that was the greatest thing about this month,,,as I was starting to get worried that I would lose parts or they would get damaged, as it is so expensive,,,,anyway here it is below in all its glory,....(My god have I said how big this thing is:-))
    410506.png
    410507.png
    Everything is starting to come together, I will try and start Posting More often and maybe start showcasing more of my collectibles as its starting to get much bigger, and I am running out of space for my Back to the Future Stuff, anyway thats Issue 1-11 done and Dusted and next issue will be 12-15.

Thanks,
    Fox

So here is a cool little thing I got in Comicon Last year,

BTTF II Movie Hat Prop:
     410585.png
    Its a pretty cool addition to the collection....

Started Reading Biff to the future last month, didn't really Know what to expect but its actually hilarious....and takes a very dark twist at the end,
    Highly recommend :
    411253.png

Marty Looking awesome!
    411254.png

Scaled down Hoverboard: 
    411255.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tbow17

Hi I'm on issue 10 of this and I've come to the end of assembling this part but it says to attach the 2 Front Wheels but I've only one, did I miss an issue ? Or is magazine wrong ? Help !!!!!

• Advertisement

Tbow17 wrote: »
    Hi I'm on issue 10 of this and I've come to the end of assembling this part but it says to attach the 2 Front Wheels but I've only one, did I miss an issue ? Or is magazine wrong ? Help !!!!!
    Hi Tbow,
    Issue 9 should have had the second wheel for this build, If you are subscribing, Just ring eaglemoss and they will send you out a replacement, there customer service is fantastic, they have no problem sending replacement parts, it might take between 5-10 days to get here, but defo get on to them,
    I asked them for replacement springs for Mr. Fusion and a new screwdriver and they sent me out the whole mr fusion issue and issue one:-) so now I have spare's
    Ring them and they will defo sort you out!!

So This just arrived today,
    It is going to look well when I have it up!!

411945.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sean0999

Just to let you know, i have part 12 and 14. The rods from issue 11 do not fit into brake disc from part 12 and 14. the end of the rods are to big or the gap in the brake disc are to small. i emailed them, still waiting for a reply

sean0999 wrote: »
    Just to let you know, i have part 12 and 14. The rods from issue 11 do not fit into brake disc from part 12 and 14. the end of the rods are to big or the gap in the brake disc are to small.  i emailed them, still waiting for a reply
    They can be a bit miss leading in the magazine, but i actually did the same mistake, if you remove the rods and put them in the other way around they will fit perfectly, if you need me to post pics I will, let me know how you get on,

Cheers,
    Fox

Should have updated this awhile back, Have issue 12 - 15 all done and dusted, probably the most challenging one yet, a few cuts and bruises after these issues...but glad to see it taking shape,

414261.png

414262.png

Hey Guys,
    I saved up a few issues as I wanted to show the end product, as I felt it would be better than showing little builds at a time, Below is The Engine, Exhaust and its all attached to the chassis.
    Again  I must say that I am still really impressed by all the parts, the detail is truly great, below are the picture from issue 15 -27. Hope everybody is enjoying the build as much as I am :-)
    420316.png
    420317.png
    420318.png

420319.png420320.png420321.png420322.png

6 months in and I am up to Issue 31. Its really starting to take shape, and is becoming pretty heavy. I am starting to run out of Space for this thing....You can see in the pictures below that the detail is still top Notch and I cant wait to start doing all the interior work. 
    423560.png
    423561.png
    423562.png

Hey Guys,

So its been a few months since I updated this, and the reason I waited so Long was because I wanted some pretty cool Pictures to Showcase, As you will see, this is a stunning bit of work by eaglemoss and A must have for all fans of BTTF,
    Anyway Hope you like the pics

429805.jpeg

429806.jpeg

429807.jpg

429808.jpg
    429809.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

That looks amazing. Did you add the carpet yourself, or is that how it comes? I see photos of people customising theirs, but am not sure what it looks like "stock".

I had been collecting it from the newsagent weekly, but cancelled it in August when they couldn't get me issue 9, which they didn't give me in February. I subscribed to Eaglemoss to get the rest of the issues direct from them (there should be more than 10 deliveries, so I should get that monster display base too) but haven't received any deliveries yet. I've spoken to them a few times on the phone and they seem nice enough, but apparently I won't receive anything until after October 23rd (when Royal Mail collect the deliveries) and that will be issues 9 and 33 - 43. How have you found them for deliveries, once it starts?

• Advertisement

Deliveries are all over the place,
    I always seem to be the last one to get mine. I don't mind waiting, as its a nice treat, but always takes ages for it to come, and its never set times, I get it delivered to work too, as the packages can be massive and I don't want it being left out in the rain if it was being delivered to home address,
    Eaglemoss are good, they have no problem replacing parts and are really nice. I always ring them up instead of emailing, But to be honest haven't needed to ring them as the last 7 or 8 delivery's have been perfect....I got the carpet on ebay pretty cheap and just glued it. Turned out great. Post some pics of yours, I started to think nobody else was doing it on here:-)

Advertisement