Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Racing Sims General Discussion / Chat Thread

• 11-12-2016 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭Doge

*Don't forget to click the Follow button!*

Since most forums have a general discussion / chat thread I thought it would be a good idea to have one for us also. :)

First up:
    The Drive's Sean Evans takes us behind a door marked “Restricted Area” at Dallara Automobili, to test out a multimillion-dollar driving simulator. It’s among the most "real" racing experiences a driver can have off the track, and it's only available to professional race teams and their drivers. The sim can replicate tracks from all over the world, like Silverstone, Spa, Monaco, Barcelona, Suzuka, and even the Nürburgring

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I guess we can kick it off.

Don't want to go off topic in bargain alerts.

So yeah, I got G29 with that fantastic deal from pc world. I had my g27 before and I just used table for it. This time around I want something more proper. Though as anyone, I don't want to spend too much. :D

So if anyone got some gold options or experience I am here to listen.

So far my options I found:

Gt omega. I like it a lot and price is grand. Thinking of getting rid itself first and just move to my pc table to use it. I have 34inch 3440x1440 monitor, which would do fine for now. Then buying the monitor holder for it and then buying some cheap TV for pure purpose of this setup.
    Problem with this one, when I started looking in to reviews. It looks like a very choped job when it comes to assembly and pedal plate is crap. On the other hand they say it's very good stable setup when it's built.
    http://www.gtomegaracing.com/gt-omega-racing-driving-simulator-cockpits/art-racing-simulator-cockpit/art-cockpits/gt-omega-art-racing-simulator-cockpit-rs6

Second choice:

fk automotive.

First of all, it's cheap, very cheap. And that's what I am afraid off. Not many reviews of it, but what I sow, the wheel stand itself wobbles alot. It won't have a stand for screen so it will mean I will have to cow boy in some stand from third party down the line. Another issue: position of gear stick. Its way better on omega and more realistic I guess.
    I sow someone selling these on adverts for 250eu... Lol.
    Any opinions on this?

https://www.fk-shop.de/en/Tuning/Sport-seats-belts/Racing-simulator-seats/Game-Seat-for-PC-and-game-consoles-imitation-leather-black-white.html?force_sid=ragk6fkpmuql73njj5vg324jq6#description

Third option:
    Wheel stand. That's like proper ghetto option and I would use my own chair for it. Not much improvement over just hooking it on table, but ability just to take ot out, set it and play it, then when finished just out it aside looks very appealing. One of the reasons why I did not used g27 much is due to hassle setting it up every single time.

Fourth option:

Gt omega wheel stand with optional plate for gear stick. This looks like a bit better proposition and nest part is I can ad seat rails after if I want. I just wonder if my pc chair arm rest will get in a way for gear stick.

http://www.gtomegaracing.com/wheel-stands/gt-omega-racing-wheel-stands/gt-omega-steering-wheel-stand

So yeah, space is limited, but I could dedicate a corner just for my sim setup with separate screen. So do I just go and get full on cockpit now and work away with it or get a stand? Then again, every time you cheap out you end up spending more and buying proper thing later... Any ideas welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Going to drop this article here because I thought it was pretty cool. No pressure, you're racing alongside Rubens! http://www.pcgamer.com/battling-a-former-f1-driver-in-iracing/

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm actually not discounting the Playseat challenge. It's still kind of pricy at £200 not inc. shipping. But everyone I've talked to about it says it's pretty good. The wheel position looks like it's kind of far away with no way to pull it closer.

It would be ideal for my space issues but I don't know if it will work.

I should be getting my new wheel sometime in the new year, I'm going to go for the fanatec Clubsport base rather than the CSL, with the new CSL pedal set. So it's going to be a pretty beefy wheel and pedal combo that might be a bit much for that playseat.

GT Omega ART/PRO is what I'll likely go for. Now I'm trying to decide do I move my PC into a room with that rig and take an old PC out of mothballs to use for entertainment and use the steam link over LAN thing for non sim games?

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'm actually not discounting the Playseat challenge. It's still kind of pricy at £200 not inc. shipping. But everyone I've talked to about it says it's pretty good. The wheel position looks like it's kind of far away with no way to pull it closer.

It would be ideal for my space issues but I don't know if it will work.

I should be getting my new wheel sometime in the new year, I'm going to go for the fanatec Clubsport base rather than the CSL, with the new CSL pedal set. So it's going to be a pretty beefy wheel and pedal combo that might be a bit much for that playseat.

GT Omega ART/PRO is what I'll likely go for. Now I'm trying to decide do I move my PC into a room with that rig and take an old PC out of mothballs to use for entertainment and use the steam link over LAN thing for non sim games?

Just looked at it closer now. That foldable garden chair is definitely out of question. I am not that stuck for space and I point blank refuse to pay that kind of money for it.
    Other proper ones really really tickled my fancy. They got one on sale for 299eu + 50eu for gear shifter Addon. I don't like the bar on the middle though, but damn, it looks like a solid product with very compact foldable design. Any ideas how much are delivery? I am off tomorrow so I will sit down properly at my pc and check it, moght even order it. My Xmas day will be sorted. Misses pissed off, but meh, sje get over it. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

If it was a choice between the Playseat Evolution and the GT Omega I'd go with the Omega - the basic Pro version for £289. Mentioned it in a different thread about it being more stable than the ART for £10 more (wouldn't make sense to buy the ART and side bars separate) and there's a 5% off coupon that still works.

Depends if you have the space for it too of course, the Playseat looks to have a smaller footprint. Both products look pretty good to be fair.

I wanted something cheaper and this side of christmas so went with the Wheel Stand Pro v2 and am very happy with it. Just had to bring a chair up from downstairs as an office chair with wheels is bugger all use when braking. :pac:

c0rn3y has me ruined after seeing his setup and has me looking at upgrading to a Sim-Lab GT1 chassis & seat late next year maybe (pricing all the parts + shipping came in at €1100 I think it was - the seat being a good chunk of that).

• Advertisement

Okay, Thx to Doge, I just went simple and sensible way of Omega GT wheel stand with shifter bundle from amazon. With left over money I threw in 525gb ssd too. It will help me to upgrade to Win 10 and get Forza horizon 3 on PC.

I liked Idea of proper cockpit, but its going to be a too big money pit and I dont think I have enough space. Best part of that stand, that I will be able just to get those rails and seat separately and connect them together when time comes.

All in all, cheers lads! I sorted out my xmas present. :)

Okay, all bits now delivered.

Got my 525gb ssd, g29 and GT omega stand.

Windows 10 on pc with new ssd installed. Stand put together too, but I cant put wheel on until 25th. :(

All in all very very happy with stand and quality is WAY better then I expected. I honestly though I will get something out of xmas cracker, but was very wrong.

DSC_1278_zpsd3d2lhsb.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Enjoy, please tell me your gonna run something more substantial than forza to do it all justice.

Dcully wrote: »
    Enjoy, please tell me your gonna run something more substantial than forza to do it all justice.

I have asseto corsa from g27 days. That's my priority sim for now, unless there were some new ones that came out recently. I used 3x1080p screens with gtx 680 2gb then, but now I got 3440x1440 with 1060 6gb. So hopefully it will run better.

Project cars was not out when I still used g27. So will need to check that out or get feedback off you guys.

Heard good things about Automobilista so hopefully will grab it on Xmas steam sale.

I am open to suggestions.

I love forza games, specially non horizon ones and wanted to play my good old forza 6 on xbox one, but i could not get G920. Gran turismo better be good on ps4...

Nothing wrong with forza man,it is what it is and a solid simcade as some might call it.
    Just with a nice wheel and stand i really recommend the top sims out there.
    Avoid Pcars is my advice [dont get me started :) ]
    Stick to assetto corsa, automobilista,raceroom,rfactor2 and iracing for your sims.

Jaysus the stock content for AMS short for [automobilista] :) alone will keep any simracer busy for many years,not to mention mods.
    Same can be said for the others in fairness.

Whenever i want to scratch my simracing itch the last few weeks the porsche DLC for AC [assetto corsa] is my go to,closely followed by anything in AMS.
    Next month AMS will more than likely be my go to sim and then AC next up, it tends to flow like that for me :)

Its a great time for anyone even remotely into simracing.

We really need to rephrase simracing to simdriving :)

A lot of the time in my sims i just lap and lap for hours alone on the track pushing only maybe 90% finding all the intricies of track/car combos.
    Other times ill race the AI and give it everything.

I quite enjoy simtrucking too with truck simulator :)

Jaysus i was on a roll there.

Back OT enjoy your new setup man, id say they will be immense @ that resolution, 60hz for simracing is fine :)

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with forza man,it is what it is and a solid simcade as some might call it.
    Just with a nice wheel and stand i really recommend the top sims out there.
    Avoid Pcars is my advice [dont get me started :) ]
    Stick to assetto corsa, automobilista,raceroom,rfactor2 and iracing for your sims.

Jaysus the stock content for AMS short for [automobilista] :) alone will keep any simracer busy for many years,not to mention mods.
    Same can be said for the others in fairness.

Whenever i want to scratch my simracing itch the last few weeks the porsche DLC for AC [assetto corsa] is my go to,closely followed by anything in AMS.
    Next month AMS will more than likely be my go to sim and then AC next up, it tends to flow like that for me :)

Its a great time for anyone even remotely into simracing.

We really need to rephrase simracing to simdriving :)

A lot of the time in my sims i just lap and lap for hours alone on the track pushing only maybe 90% finding all the intricies of track/car combos.
    Other times ill race the AI and give it everything.

I quite enjoy simtrucking too with truck simulator :)

Jaysus i was on a roll there.

Back OT enjoy your new setup man, id say they will be immense @ that resolution, 60hz for simracing is fine :)

I love forza ( non horizon) games, because they are structured like... You know... Games. Earning credits, saving up for cars, buying specific ones for specific race, customising them, like good old days of gran turismo 1 and 2. I truly think it's best simcade game out there. Never played horizon games, but I loved test drive ultimate, it was just fun driving around the massive island. Discovering events etc. Will be fun to give it a go.
    As for proper wheel setup games I have to admit, i do same thing. Just lap in circles trying to get better times and learning one track and one car for hours. It becomes fun on its own. Loved doing some races with AI, but I would get chopy framers and it was hard to play. This time I hope I won't have this issue.
    One thing I was really bad at in AC was heal toe thing. With all stuff turned off, I would spin out soooo many times, just because clutch and gear change, but revs would be not in right place. I am still complete noob when it comes to sims. To my defence I had really **** setup with my desk. Again, hopefully it will be way better now and I'll be able to use it a lot more due to simplicity of setting up. Taking wheel out, untangle cables, set it up on a table etc. It took ages. A lot of times I wanted to drive, but I could not be ****ed. On top of that my 3 monitor setup was ass thx to nvidia. It would constantly break.

I will get automobilista for sure. Hooking for good deal on sales.

It was €22 in steam haloween sale so might be similar in xmas sale.

It was €22 in steam haloween sale so might be similar in xmas sale.

Well worth it. Haven't had too much time to play anything the last couple of weeks but it's always AMS when I do. Barely gone near AC.

Did a bit of cable management on the wheel stand pro last night then tried one of those Indy Cars (I think?) from that CART Extreme mode around Imola. They're fast! Went back to Interlagos and wasn't long before I lost the front wing over a barrier. :pac:
    Hopped back into v12, headphones on and volume turned up - so much fun those cars are!

I had a few minutes before leaving to work and looked at my gt omega stand. Looks like I won't be able to use it with my office chair due to arm rests and v1 shifter stand does not go up very much. I guess best solution is just to take normal chair from the kitchen?
    Maybe it's possible to get some half decent office chair without armrests and wheels? Something tells me I won't be comfortable for long in kitchen chair...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Regarding the playseat challenge, I have it and find it very good, if space is an issue it's definitely worth considering.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I had a few minutes before leaving to work and looked at my gt omega stand. Looks like I won't be able to use it with my office chair due to arm rests and v1 shifter stand does not go up very much. I guess best solution is just to take normal chair from the kitchen?
    Maybe it's possible to get some half decent office chair without armrests and wheels? Something tells me I won't be comfortable for long in kitchen chair...

Pick up a bucket seat or a swanky leather front seat from a scrap yard maybe?
    I got one from a WRX sti for €30. A simple wooden frame was all it needed.

Pick up a bucket seat or a swanky leather front seat from a scrap yard maybe?
    I got one from a WRX sti for €30. A simple wooden frame was all it needed.

I think omega gt on their website selling railings for stand, you can even connected them if you want. Then get that bucket seat thing. Could be an option.

Last pressie before Christmas, not the colour I ordered but happy with them anyway. :)

w2lOecZ.jpg

Watched the last half of an AMS race last night on Twitch - was just having a look on that Race Department website and noticed the link to it - F3 around Montreal. It was surpringly good fun actually, commentary and camera work.

Automobilista €14.79 on the steam sale, what a bargain.

Automobilista €14.79 on the steam sale, what a bargain.

A no brainer at that price.

Dirt Rally down to €19.99 if anyone doesn't have it already.

F1 2016 is €21.59 on cdkeys.com (€29.99 on Steam).

• Advertisement

I finish work at 9:30, an hour to get home. So get shower, whio out credit card and buy some sims. :)

For anyone that buys AMS, as i mentioned on the AMS thread and incase anyone missed it, these few tips will ensure your playing AMS as intended.

Make sure you set your graphics up as suggested here

http://www.racedepartment.com/thread...4#post-2320081

Also make sure you have your new wheel setup to the devs recommended settings,not sure what they are for your wheel but for my G27 there are few changes most notably degrees of rotation down to 260 degrees.
    These settings totally transform ffb.

Also check out this thread.

http://forum.reizastudios.com/thread...w-about-it.45/

Its an awesome sim with the best force feedback of them all,combined with the amazing physics you feel everything the car is doing which in a sim is pretty amazing, other sims come close but AMS has nailed it.
    Loads of cars and tracks plus an infinite amount of modded content, look out for tracks from Patrick Giranthon in particular.

Finally grab the CART EXTREME mod too.

http://www.racedepartment.com/downlo...extreme.10810/

None of those links are working for me (think maybe you just copied and pasted the message text from the AMS post?).

Here's your links from the other post anyway. :)

Graphics setup: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/sell-me-automobilista.126611/page-4#post-2320081

FFB info: http://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/automobilista-how-the-ffb-works-and-what-is-new-about-it.45/

CART Extreme mod: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/cart-extreme.10810/

Thanks Andrew.

Links were working for me last week when i first posted so yeah must be because i just copied text, normally works though.

Okay, I bought this morning Automobilista. downloading asseto Corsa too. Crap thing is, I wont be able to set up my wheel and finally give it a go until Sunday. :(

Okay, I bought this morning Automobilista. downloading asseto Corsa too. Crap thing is, I wont be able to set up my wheel and finally give it a go until Sunday. :(

Too busy or not allowed? :D

Not sure how much I'll get to play it Sunday but have two weeks off after today so going to get some proper time in.

Defo fire up AMS when you're able - had such a grin on my face last night playing that. Downloaded the track Megapack mod and gave Spa a whirl in the V12. :cool:

All I'm doing at the minute is lapping a few circuits trying to learn them, have to go back and read the manual to figure out what half the settings do.

Think I saw you can also download folks car setups from Racedepartment? Haven't tried that yet either.

FYI: Not sure if it's the same for all tracks you download, but the Megapack ones appear at the top of the track list under 'Add-on tracks' I think its called. Didn't see them under Time Trial mode though for some reason.

That megapack is from Patrick Giranthian,same guy who made the cart extreme mod, does so much great work with AMS.

Went back to AMS myself this morning after Assetto Corsa takign up most of my sim time, every time i do so im blown away by the physics and force feedback in AMS, so so good.

Im only using a G27 but i hear the T300 etc are superb with it.

Reiza`s physics genius Niels shows us his personal rig after countless requests.
    Not state of the art stuff but that wheel would be one hell of a workout :)

Saw that alright and thought it was a bit ghetto for him (compared to the top notch hardware his company makes), obviously works fine though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,005 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Advertisement