Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

America is over for irish/europeans?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Europe is **** tbh, don't get people's fascination with it. Everywhere looks the same and everyone is so reserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Give an Irish person the exact same job opportunity in Boston or Berlin and I'd reckon they majority would go for Boston.

America holds an allure for us that other countries don't

That's because we consume so much American culture and many of us have family or friends that live or have lived there.

I lived there for 6 years and visited 38 states.
    I did not see a single gun in all my time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Give an Irish person the exact same job opportunity in Boston or Berlin and I'd reckon they majority would go for Boston.

America holds an allure for us that other countries don't

That's because we consume so much American culture and many of us have family or friends that live or have lived there.

I lived there for 6 years and visited 38 states.
    I did not see a single gun in all my time there.

Everyone the world over has family there and consumes their media. Irish people think we're somehow unique when it comes to America, the only thing that's unique about Ireland and America is that it's kinda trendy to say you're Irish on the east coast. In California, nobody cares, it's just a foreign European country that's exotic. You'd get the same reaction if you say you're from Belgium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I like America

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I'm in Canada and the same question arises here. The general sentiment seems divided, but there were always some people who didn't go across the border very often if ever, those people are more likely to say they wouldn't go now. For people who are used to travel or work related visits to the U.S., the thinking is more specific, like what areas should I perhaps avoid (and why) for my safety? For me, the draw has always been scenery in remote areas of the west, and I have not really seen any changes in the experience. Most of us can probably imagine what places are likely to see outbursts of random gun violence which can help you to avoid those, although it has become such an epidemic of recent attacks in very ordinary places like bars and concerts. These things seem to come in cycles, and it will probably fade back to more normal times eventually, but even at the current levels, you have to factor in the size and population and your chances of being involved in any such incident would be much lower than other hazards you might face while driving or just your own health. A lot of people may be carrying (weapons) but you don't tend to notice this even in crowded cities like Las Vegas. It's not like every five minutes somebody whips out a gun and starts firing it. In fact I have only seen one citizen with a gun in all my visits to the U.S. (it was holstered) and he was chatting with a store clerk in a small town in Nevada. Not sure if he was some sort of auxiliary cop or if his display was legal, but it wasn't very threatening.

In Canada, these issues are generally more similar to Ireland than the U.S., the level of gun ownership and shooting incidents is relatively low compared to south of the border, and most gun violence here seems to be gangs settling scores, although occasionally with non-participants either in the line of fire or accidentally mistaken for a gang member. I don't imagine at 70 I will have that problem though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

I'm Irish. I live in the USA not far from Boston. I haven't lived in Ireland since 1968. Everything said in this thread about the US is true and correct, paradoxically, both the good and the bad opinions are true and correct. It's a vast and varied country.

I'm elderly. I have a pretty nice house on 3 acres of land for half the cost of a roughly comparable​ house in IE, maybe one third of Dublin price. Housing is plentiful.

I have health insurance, about $300/month for me and the wife, but no meaningful health care except for emergency room care, because the copays and deductibles are so high. No dental or vision care. I have a progressive neurological and joint disorder. I've learned to self treat with sophisticated​ herbal protocols, healthy diet, self discipline, and home physical therapy. We have legal medical cannabis which is extremely helpful to me, literally a life saver.

Ireland was a very repressive place at the time. Too Catholic. How many generations without dealing with the pervy priest situation. Too much drink. Petrol bombs, sandbag machine gun bunkers, etc living with my aunty in Derry. Too cold and damp.

I love Ireland. I miss the craic. I'm too old and maybe fragile to return. I still keep the passport but how many years before I could get health care or a decent place to live? I don't love America. Things are precarious at the upper strata and it isn't going to end well. But, I will close by referring back to the paradox. It is true that wherever you go, you see yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Been to last Vegas once. Grand oul time.

I will visit New York and maybe the west coast someday but they're not that high on my list of places I want to visit.

I probably wouldn't move there because from all my encounters of Americans both in America, in Ireland or while backpacking, I just don't like them. I'd probably kill myself if I had to work and live surrounded by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I know that talking to academics the campus shootings and the subsequent increase in security is putting some people off.

Hopefully it's just a cycle of crazy over there and things dial back down to normal eventually but, these things do have a very negative impact on people impressions of a place.

Also there's an illogical rational for most of these incidents. They're usually just some heavily armed nutjob who decides to lash out violently, most frequently impacting students on campuses.

Unfortunately that is the stuff of nightmares for most of us and a % will be put off. There has been a significant reduction in the number of people applying for degrees like MBAs in the US and this kind of thing and the toxic political rhetoric is largely to blame.

Perception is everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

Americans have been intergenerationally damaged by the original sins of Native American Indian genocide and African slavery. Add the unrestrained militarism, perpetual war-mongering, barely restrained capitalism, a weak social safety net, sycophantic media, gun culture and a dog eat dog mentality that hangs over them like a dark cloud all their days.

Advertisement