Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    Played a bit of Mr. Gimmick today via the wonders of emulation. Retr0 is right about it, it's 'bastard hard'. But I can see its a rewarding game if you put the effort into it, graphics & soundtrack are as amazing as they are made out to be.

Also tried Dirt 3 on the pc today. It's actually pretty damned good.

I play it every so often as well. It's pretty decent(and fun) and the graphics look really well on the PC version.
    Have a few replays on my youtube channel as well as I use it for testing out beta drivers as well as my own creations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Still on Skyward Sword after forty extremely pleasant hours - keep thinking it's going to end and then they throw another surprising five hours at you :pac: Have mopped up all the gratitude crystals and 80-90 % of the heart pieces / mini-games / goddess cubes. Just two more
    dragons (I'm just back at the volcano with my equipment stolen)
    and hopefully I'll be able to shake this addiction!

And Mario 3D Land is passing the commute nicely still.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

Well it's only been ten years since it was released, but I'm finally playing Kingdom Hearts on the PS2. Gave it a good four hours on Saturday evening and pretty enjoyable so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

KH is surprisingly tough, especially at the beginning. Unfortunately KH2 goes for the easier than jodie marsh approach.

I finally finished wizardry on the PS3, very enjoyable if a bit simple compared to modern dungeon crawlers.

Back to Zelda then which has finally clicked despite a mishap of revisiting a previously completed dungeon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Finding it really hard to find time to play some games at the mo.
    Resident Evil Revelations is about it and, luckily, it's a lot of fun, definitely more of a shooter at times than previous iterations.
    For those who are playing, the 3rd person camera for shooting is much better and less jarring in perspective than the default shift into 1st person.

Going to fire up something this morning methinks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    KH is surprisingly tough, especially at the beginning. Unfortunately KH2 goes for the easier than jodie marsh approach.

I finally finished wizardry on the PS3, very enjoyable if a bit simple compared to modern dungeon crawlers.

Back to Zelda then which has finally clicked despite a mishap of revisiting a previously completed dungeon.

Well I did spend nearly 30 minutes hunting for bloody coconuts...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »

That bit is the one misguided hour in the whole game. Other than that it's remarkable how much variety there is, even when you revisit previous locations in completely new circumstances :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Resident Evil Revelations is about it and, luckily, it's a lot of fun, definitely more of a shooter at times than previous iterations.

But it's more about exploring the ship and unlocking new areas than 4 and 5 were which makes it feel a bit more like the older games.

There are SO MANY fake outs in the plot though including a real 'our princess is in another castle' moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, it caters for gun nuts like me and people who like to root around mansions looking for oddly shaped keys, like you!
    The ship is gorgeous though, very nice.
    Swimming pool needs a clean though...

So, it caters for gun nuts like me and people who like to root around mansions looking for oddly shaped keys, like you!
    The ship is gorgeous though, very nice.
    Swimming pool needs a clean though...

Crap. Now that you mention it I completely forgot about the solarium. It doesn't serve any purpose in the story-line.

I thought it did the scares pretty well when it put it's mind to it, which isn't something you'd expect from a handheld game. The run up to your confrontation with Rebecca is great.

Did you find the 3D to be completely useless? I kept it turned off for the whole game as graphics looked much better without it.

• Advertisement

Well, actually I enjoyed the 3D effect.
    So much, in fact, that I went into the menu and bumped the 3D effect up further, you can get more depth than the console normally allows in there, it's impressive but the sweetspot is that bit smaller to get the effect.
    It's also quite tiring on the eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

3DS! Get out of here with that yoke. Now a turquoise/teal gameboy colour with two new batteries and playing Puzzle Bobble is a lot more fun.

Should have my Wonderswan version of Puzzle Bobble real soon, seems to be taking ages to get here from Italy though, like 2 weeks already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hope you have a crystal. Found puzzle bobble hard to play on the NGP unless in good light.

Just realised I don't have the GC Star Fox Assault game!
    Must buy it now!!!

Ahh! The price!!! 50 quid before posting!!!

Just realised I don't have the GC Star Fox Assault game!
    Must buy it now!!!

Ahh! The price!!! 50 quid before posting!!!

Seriously you are far better off without it. It's an awful, awful game. The Arwing levels are good but there's only 3 of them. Every other levels plays like the worst third person shooter you ever played.

It's almost like he didn't listen to the podcast!

DinoRex wrote: »
    It's almost like he didn't listen to the podcast!

For shame :(

I did, I promise!
    I just remember a Starfox title with some great Landmaster and another vehicle scene somehow, the crappy on foot levels don't look familiar though.
    Perhaps I'm thinking of the N64 game??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

SOR 2 on the meg (by way of xperia play and my morning commute)

• Advertisement

Yep, it's the N64 version so now I have go pick up the 3DS version, again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time on n 3DS... hopefully!

Going to play some Super C on the NES

Well that was a little easier than Contra but a lot better designed. Really good game but as I said before, no need for the 30 lives code. Also a hell of a lot better than the arcade game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Its not quite retro but have been playing Sonic Generations a bit. the Classic Sonic bits are good fun, nice balance between speed, platforming and exploration. The Modern Sonic bits however aren't as enjoyable I find.

The Modern Sonic stuff is often a bit frustrating, I haven't played any 3D sonic games before but it doesn't make me wish I had. Some of the Challenges are a pain in the ass but you don't need to play most of them. Also Sonic's friends are D!cks.

The thing is though over all its actually really fun, there is tones of replayability in it, the exploration and memorization elements have kept me coming back to earlier levels and challenges. Also the presentation is top notch, ever thing looks great.

Even better I got it new, delivered for €18 off ebay :D

You should watch Zeropunctuations review of the game, similar to what you say its a highlight reel of the best bits of Sonic, namely the 2d games on the MD, and then, lacking any actual good 3d Sonic games to show off, they give you the bits they wished were highlights instead!
    Sonic Colours wasn't without some merit I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Started playing through Catherine, absolutely loving it !

Not retro but I'm persisting with Bulletstorm, it's a gorgeous looking game but the gameplay is incredibly simplistic bordering on the boring.
    At this stage I'm only playing it see what sights it has to offer next and what the next bizarre bout of swearing is going to bring to the table, it's hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Ah I enjoy the playthrough of bullet storm, just a mindless romp really but its a real sunday morning lazy game!

• Advertisement

I haven't played a video game since Wednesday! Egads!

(I did finally pick up El Shaddai though - 15 buckeroons in HMV, which was impossible to resist - which I am excited to finally get into once Skyward Sword's final dungeon is complete!)

Advertisement