Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ipad for GEM

Options
  • 17-08-2013 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Thought it might be worthwhile to fire up a thread about getting the best from your ipad for use in GEM. Basically ive been staring at a folder of 30 gigs or so of ebooks and pdfs wondering how the hell im gunna use them well. Also basic google searches just churn out top fifteen apps etc. hard to find anything specific to actually learning.
    So if there is anyone who is using a good app or any ipad/ereader resources it might be a good idea to get a chat going on apps and strategies for learning. Im new to ipad learning and have thus far been using the basic books app for recreational reading etc. but doutb it will cut the mustard for the next few years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DeadEight

I use and recommend Evernote. Syncing all your notes (including Livescribe notes if you have one) across all your devices/computers is very handy.

Also, you might find the apps from Dublin based 3D4 Medical to be useful. Essential Anatomy is pretty comprehensive, and well worth the €21.99 asking price. They also make the free Essential Skeleton.

And don't forget Dropbox on all your devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BobbyOLGrinds

Keep in mind that I only have an iPhone (only, a first world problem).

I got the most use out of my Oxford Handbooks and the BNF. Clinical medicine, surgery and clinical specialties are worth the money. The BNF one is great, it has a fantastic search function which makes looking up complicated trade names very easy. There are pdfs of the BNF floating around which are publishable quality, but they lack the search function which is a pain.

Over the four years I got through some of the anatomy and pathology apps, but I found the books to be much easier on my eyes. In contrast, I'd say I used the BNF every day.

There's a medscape app as well, it allows you to download their database for use offline. That one is excellent, though it may be pitched above your level as a 1st year. Something to think about anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Google made a Google maps for the body, it seems to now be here:

http://www.zygotebody.com/

You can peel back various layers of the body etc.

Evernote is very useful. I think being able to sync your notes across all devices will be crucial, so you can view your notes anywhere and not have to carry your laptop everywhere.

If you do need to log in to your laptop or another machine, LogMeIn.com can be useful.

I think there have been studies that showed taking notes by hand may be better for retaining knowledge FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Billydolan

Set up drop box, sky drive and google drive...combines for a lot of free cloud storage. Chmate for a .chm files. They seem to be widely used. Thanks for the medical app suggestions, I'm a written note kinda person anyway, so I haven't looked into note taking apps too much, even though I cam across one called annotate plus (I think) it records the lecture and you can tag the time stamps on notes you make so you can skip to specific parts of the lecture, handy for anyone using their tablet for note taking, it also syncs with cloud to keep it all together!

For sanity and recreational stuff, got flipboard and took some time to personalise my feed, already find its a bit better than my twitter, there's loads of contributors on flipboard, I've used it for things of interest but there might be relevant academic contributors, can also sync your twitter Facebook and RSS feeds in it, great one stop for social media and news.

Advertisement