Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Phoenix Park tunnel: 4 trains per hour from 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Well, I think it would be full time. I was thinking that some direct services might be added or substituted during peak times - like direct to Bray for two or three departures in AM and Bray to Howth in PM.

Probably not feasible.

fair enough.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

There is no reference to a Howth - Howth Jnc shuttle in the draft timetable.

What draft timetable and where can I see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

What draft timetable and where can I see it?

I'd say it's fairly obsolete now, given the timetable didn't include the plans for Maynooth and PPT services

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

If it goes like the other plans heres what will happen:

1. Announced, lots of glossy pics and leaflets
    2. Objections for 15 years
    3. Canceled

4. Redesigned
    5. Announced, lots of glossy pics like it's the first time, lots of artists sketches like it's the first time
    6. Objections for 5 more years
    7. cANCELED
    8. Redes.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    If it goes like the other plans heres what will happen:

1. Announced, lots of glossy pics and leaflets
    2. Objections for 15 years
    3. Canceled

4. Redesigned
    5. Announced, lots of glossy pics like it's the first time, lots of artists sketches like it's the first time
    6. Objections for 5 more years
    7. cANCELED
    8. Redes.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

“Won’t someone think of the poor penguins”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

You'd hope, since its a single station, on public land that it shouldn't get stalled to badly..
    There will be objections though...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Markcheese wrote: »
    You'd hope, since its a single station, on public land that it shouldn't get stalled to badly..
    There will be objections though...

There will be a complete redesign proposed of the Phoenix Park Tunnel, and a claim that this will be cheaper and quicker than the detailed costed and designed version ready to go.

Then someone will say “Won’t you think of the penguins”. Again.

Guaranteed.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If you were ball parking, how much should a single station cost (assuming they go for basic, not an architectural statement,)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭cgcsb

A station just east of the park would be brill for me, about half way between the proposed Heuston West and Cabra DART stations. Much better access to the Northern Suburbs and the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

“Won’t someone think of the poor penguins”

I think it's some kind of endangered snail they are usually worried about

This is too good an idea, I'm sure the first time election candidates and every single council candidate will be out any minute now to object that the track does not run a spur out to Swords to collect pensioners from their front door

Most of the current crop don't seem to be able to open their mouth without pandering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Interesting to see if the journey planner is correct , last PPT service to serve drumcondra will be around 9pm friday night (spice girls will be on that night.) They will run from Connolly straight through the tunnel

Maynooth line services will serve drumcondra as normal on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

thomasj wrote: »
    Interesting to see if the journey planner is correct , last PPT service to serve drumcondra will be around 9pm friday night (spice girls will be on that night.) They will run from Connolly straight through the tunnel

Maynooth line services will serve drumcondra as normal on the night.

It is correct. I assume its for crowd control with extra Maynooth operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Paddico

Are their any plans the increase the no of trains per hour.

I also see the mention of a station in the Phoenix Park. Pie in the sky really but any update on a station at Heuston, Heuston West I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well the medium-term project is DART+ South West.

Details here: https://www.dartplus.ie/en-ie/projects/dart-south-west

It should move to the railway order application being made to ABP later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Can anyone explain why the Commuter Trains from the Dublin Cork line only go to Heuston at Weekends and do not use the Phoenix Park Tunnel?

Surely with matches in Croke Park it would make sense to have a Park and Ride commuter service to Drumcondra from places like Sallins & Naas etc.

Insufficient drivers to run the additional services at weekends.

That should be addressed as more drivers pass out.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Thanks. It would be a welcome addition to the range of weekend commuter services

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

In the past there were special trains to Drumcondra for Hurling and Football matches at Croke Park from the south using the phoenix park tunnel - they should be in place for big match days and garth brooks concerts;) they seemed to be able to do it 100 year ago but not now.

Maybe even the Kerry team could use it avoid the high hotel charges;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Gotta laugh at this thread ...still waiting for those "4 trains per hour". The promise versus the reality of PPT is what gives me pause for concern on future rail projects like Dart Plus.

• Advertisement

If you read the original article it said four trains per hour at peak times.

That was delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

ah - a “get out of jail free” card that. Peak times. Are new drivers employed at peak times only? The GDA is clearly a long way from having proper turn up and go suburban rail services *on its existing lines* - never mind any new rail and metro services that will continue to be kicked thirty years down the track for whatever excuse is deemed worth making at any time.

But that was what was in the article - the paper made the headline not Irish Rail.

At the time there were insufficient drivers for anything more than the peak services.

As more new drivers pass out, the services are increasing. They are completely constrained by the number of drivers, and not all of the new recruits have stayed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

but what if the lions dig into the tunnel, Joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Paddico

Any mention of when work on Heuston West Station is going to commence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

It's part of the Dart+ South West Railway Order, so whenever that gets approved and a contractor is appointed, construction can start. And even then it may not be one of the initial phases to be worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Preparatory works started a couple months ago. Slow process though, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Is there any issue if I buy a return ticket from Newbridge to Dublin City Centre (alighting at Heuston & then getting the Luas) but come back via Pearse on a Phoenix Park Tunnel service?

Return ticket is same price for Newbridge to Dublin City Centre and Newbridge to Dublin Pearse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kc56

the City Centre ticket also includes the 145 bus as far as the canal at Leeson St. Rail to Grand Canal Dock, Luas to Mayor St.

Advertisement