Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Last of the GWR HSTs

Options
  • 18-05-2019 12:25pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Today marks the end of passenger service of the legendary High Speed Trains working on the Great Western Railway mainline from Paddington following 43 years of magnificent service.

By a complete coincidence I found myself on one of these trains this morning and may make it back to Paddington in time for the events that will take place this evening. .

480592.jpg

Expected to be a line-up of 4 HSTs side by side in Paddington later tonight to allow photos to take place and a ceremony and carriage labels and posters are being sold off for charity.

The last train is planned to be formed of power cars 43002 (First built, with a nameplate for Sir Kenneth Grange who designed the HST) and 43198 (Last built. with nameplates for Driver Stan Martin and Driver Brian Cooper who lost their lives in the crashes at Ladbroke Grove and Ufton Nervet).

Unfortunately the trains that replaced them are not fit to lace their boots in my opinion.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Video on the event:

Rear cab footage
    https://twitter.com/GWRHelp/status/1130105722447040513
    Kenneth Grange, designer of the HST was there for the event with loco 43002 named after him on the back of the train with 43198 (named Driver Stan Martin / Driver Brian Cooper) on the front. The families of both of these drivers were present for the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I was on it, just happened to be over with work for a few days. Still plenty of them around elsewhere.

The new 800s might have competition in 2020/2021 with LNER Mark IVs running an hourly London-Cardiff via open access. The LNER 800s are an slight improvement on GWR.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

That was the aaage....... of the train! A lovely bus. Soon gone altogether. I guess the turn out is a throwback to the fact that it was the bigtime HST workhorse after the APT disaster and being an early European leader. Also designed and built in the UK by BR. Patriotism pre Brexit.:D

Advertisement