Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Apartment Cleaning Situation?

• 30-09-2020 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Just looking for some opinions here on how you think the owner is dealing with this situation. **Holiday Apartment**

Basically: WHAT DO YOU EXPECT OF YOUR TENANTS UPON DEPARTURE? I think cleaning dishes, emptying bins wiping surfaces , stripping bed and sweeping floor is enough?

Ill start off by saying I've been going on holiday and visiting apartments for years, I know how to treat a holiday apartment, like it is my own etc and I know to leave the place basically as you found it.

We recently went to Spain for 2 months and stayed in a holiday apartment in a 50 year old building.

The place was clean and fully equipped when we arrived.

A few days after we arrived, we woke up to an entirely flooded apartment, our belongings were swimming on the floor, the bathroom was completely flooded as was our bedroom and some parts of the living area

The owner called a plumber and said she would take it out of our deposit, however the plumber then said it wasn't our fault it was a plumbing issue, so she said fine. We had to spend hours cleaning the apartment.

After this, the Internet went down for 3 days. The technician came and fixed it.

Then the fridge flooded for 2 days straight we did not know what the problem was. We contacted the owner and she said she would let us know, she never did.

Anyway, when we left the apartment, we washed all the dishes, we washed surfaces, swept the floor, put away dishes, emptied bins, stripped beds (as I normally do) and put any towels we did not wash, into the shower tub... Again, this is normal for me in a holiday let?

We would never purposely damage anything, and treat the place like its our home.

The kitchen was a small dainty almost plastic type kitchen sink area, the tap was kind of loose from day 1 and the faucet fell off, it went back on fine but it's delicate.

The sofa, which I can only presume got wood wet from the flood, the front part has come down a little and needs to be fixed or have a screw put in. Again, I think it must have been damaged in the flood like the wooden laundry basket (which I told her was broken from the flood and she said no problem)

Now I've had texts from the owner saying we left the place dirty and she attached pictures of the stripped bed, the shower with the sheets/towels (only a couple) and also the cutlery drawer (which is spotless, I accidentally left a lip liner in there, usually you just throw it in the bin no biggie) saying she might deduct from the deposit

Please give me your advice or what is expected of your tenants in this situation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Please give me your advice or what is expected of your tenants in this situation

I wouldn't let tenants into a holiday apartment, only licensees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I wouldn't let tenants into a holiday apartment, only licensees.

Right.... That helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Right.... That helps :)

No problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,531 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Leave it as you found it.

Disasters like water damage are the owners problem. I wouldn't have returned after that and cancelled my card if she tried to take money off me for her terribly maintained pipe work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yes I think you are correct, strip beds, empty bins, no dirty dishes lying around should be enough. As a paying guest I wouldn’t expect to have to do more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Suzyq

That’s very poor form, could you report them to the local tourist board? Did you book directly with them or through an agency?

I’d be spitting chips if I were you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

God that place sounds like a disaster. I think you did enough.

Advertisement