Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much did you spend on a mattress?

• 13-04-2020 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy a new double mattress when the shops reopen. We bought our current mattress 6 years ago. We only spent around €300 and you would know that. It's not great. Is it worth it to spend over €1000 on a mattress. I'd be prepared to spend roughly €800 on a double mattress. Surely we can get a good one for €800?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Looking to buy a new double mattress when the shops reopen. We bought our current mattress 6 years ago. We only spent around €300 and you would know that. It's not great. Is it worth it to spend over €1000 on a mattress. I'd be prepared to spend roughly €800 on a double mattress. Surely we can get a good one for €800?

In the same boat as yourself.

Spent approx 400 on a double last year and I don't like it. Problem is, I think it doesn't matter how much you spend on one if it's the wrong type for you.

I think I need a hard mattress, so if I spent 2k on a soft one it wouldn't be a good buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Got a king size one for 380. It was slightly firmer than my previous mattress and took some getting used to, but I love it now. I've never slept better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Spent 950 on a super king and absolutely worth it wouldn't get anything less again. You'll only replace it every 10-15 years so it's worth investing in one right for you. Go an test out loads of them when this is all over

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

850 on a double last month. Very comfortable, haven’t planned to spend that much but tested all the ones in the shop and was sold in this one. It’s from Easy Living park lane collection.

https://www.ezliving-interiors.ie/dorset-5-mattress

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭mullinr2

ted1 wrote: »
    850 on a double last month. Very comfortable, haven’t planned to spend that much but tested all the ones in the shop and was sold in this one. It’s from Easy Living park lane collection.

That mattress is actually 1500, you got it on offer. Just checked on their website 799 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That mattress is actually 1500, you got it on offer. Just checked on their website 799 now

+50 for delivery and taking the old one. I suspect it’s a permanent offer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Splurged on a €950 (reduced from around €1100) mattress from Harvey Norman a few years back. Worth every cent. Still like new and firm but as comfortable and supportive as you could wish for.

Definitely worth spending for a quality mattress, especially as you get a little older.

There are always sales in bedding in the bigger stores so do a bit of research.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Spent 450 on an Emma superking, I love it sleep like the dead, the Mrs says it hurts her so might have to avail of the 100 day return.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SaintPat

Sleeping on the floor is being recommended by an increasing number of chiropractors and is free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭john9876

I do that, a great job.

Mind you I spent 2 grand on the underlay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

We purchased a King Koil brand mattress here about a year a ago - cost just over 1000 euro in a sale. I would highly recommend it compared to the cheaper/budget jobs we had previously. You spend roughly a third of your life lying on it.

It is money well spent if you can afford it and it is being used nightly. Possibly overkill for a guest's (infrequently used) or younger child's (lighter body - less mattress sag?) bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I got a great one from IKEA recently, King Size,think it was about 400,it's firm but very comfortable. I was surprised at the quality, considering we had agreed on one from a furniture showroom.
    Worth a trip out if you're nearby.
    Out first one was from Sealy and lasted 10 years. That was €1000 including base.

Think about a mattress topper too, handy to throw in the washing machine, keeping the mattress relatively fresh!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭mullinr2

I was just thinking when the likes of Harvey Norman etc reopen will I be able to lie down on mattresses to test them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

€150 for 30 minutes (joke)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

It's a permanent sale on their ROI website. The same mattress is on their UK site for the same price without being on sale. There are stricter standards regarding promotions for retailers in the UK. It's a similar story for all other products on their websites, same equivalent retail prices, but either no sale or much smaller "savings" on their UK site.

https://www.ezlivinginteriors.co.uk/dorset-5-mattress

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭john9876

so you mean Harvey Norman has been lying to us!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

€1100 on a firm double mattress from Arnotts back in 2013. Very comfortable mattress. But apparently you are supposed to replace your mattress every 8 years so I might have to start saving up for next year.

Advertisement