Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

nessie911 wrote: »
    I want to know what are peoples reasons for not liking particular names. Most I can understand, but names like Keith or Deirdre which were mentioned in a previous post I do not understand.

Maybe that poster had a bad experiance with people with those names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

nope, he is called anus.

Bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,102 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

nope, he is called anus.

Bull****.

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

Kegs. At school people used to say is that like a nickname for Kevin.

Nope, its Kegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Bull****.

I second that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

I met a girl called Duck...

Duck

Parenting fail lyk? It rhymes with so many things!!! WTF...Suck... Why would you name a child that??!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Summer005

Has to be a girl I knew called Mercedes... shocking! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Magdelana-Joanne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Tadgh Hunt :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Winifred

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭gk5000

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigino viewpost.gif
    a bit like reconing that kids with very Irish language names are very nationalistic ? ...based on their parents being like that. Interesting concept.

I don't think people are such simpletons.
    I don't think people are such simpletons.

But they are/were.
    Irish language names, like Irish language schools have now went mainstream. But say 10+ years ago were largely either:

a. Tiocfai's .. raving nationalists/republicians OR
    b. Hiberno-Cosmopolitans D4 types...uppity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

Gethan is a welsh name, as far as I know, can be male or female, many years ago met a girl named Gethan Dick, not a word of a lie! Oh how I had to hold the giggles in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Chuck was taken

Dustin..

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

Summer005 wrote: »
    Has to be a girl I knew called Mercedes... shocking! :confused:
    Mercedes is a popular name in Spain. The car was called after the manufacturers daughter (Mercedes).

I googled this in case anyone is interested.

A wealthy banker-sportsman Emil Jellinek of Vienna was much impressed by the success of the Daimler motor in racing competition. He purchased controlling stock interest in Daimler in the early 1890's and put nearly unlimited funds at the disposal of Gottlieb and Daimler's two sons, Paul and Adolph. It was Jellinek who encouraged Daimler in his idea to create what was to be the most powerful car of its day, a 35 h.p. Monster.

Mercedes JellinekIn 1900 the 4-cylinder Daimler was completed and the car was christened in honor of Emil Jellinek's beautiful daughter, Mercedes. The new car was an immediate sensation. From its flaring front fenders, rakish rearward sloping steering column to the T-head type cylinder construction and twin carburetors, the Mercedes was a beauty and did justice to its namesake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alkababba

I know a friend who named their little girl Angel. Angel has a friend named Destiny (spelled Destynee) and they have a friend called Taquila (like, for real) They were all at a party together and i could not believe my ears.

They're all going to be hitting the poles hard in about 20 years (hopefully that long)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Hears6

The worst name I have ever heard is that of my cousin which is Max Thrill...sugguestive isnt it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

gk5000 wrote: »
    But they are/were.
    Irish language names, like Irish language schools have now went mainstream. But say 10+ years ago were largely either:

a. Tiocfai's .. raving nationalists/republicians OR
    b. Hiberno-Cosmopolitans D4 types...uppity
    Or, shock!, one other possibility:

c. People whose families have always had Irish names, because they're from Ireland.

My mother's family have mostly Irish names.

I could understand (maybe) disagreeing with giving your child a very unusual Irish name like Cúchoigríche, but seriously guys Diarmaid, Séamus, e.t.c. are names people have had in this country for centuries. I work in an international context and have never had a problem with the Kazakh, Chinese, Japenese, e.t.c. names I encounter. I'll usually make an arse of them, sure, but so what? The arguement that Ireland has the English language as well so we should use "normal names", what ever they are, is pretty weak as well, several countries are bilingual, trilingual, with names taken from all the languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Diamanté

lol, that's what Mitsubishi called my car :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Christian Victory was a kid in my school

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

lol, that's what Mitsubishi called my car :pac:

I've seen a thousand here in Auckland. Let's be friends:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

One more I forgot until just now,

Was visiting some family in England and my cousin told me he was being bullied at school by a boy named.....wait for it.... Success.

And if you will imagine walking into your local McDonalds and seeing that poor eejit standing behind the counter with Success written on his name tag :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Shera

Dorcas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    One more I forgot until just now,

Was visiting some family in England and my cousin told me he was being bullied at school by a boy named.....wait for it.... Success.

And if you will imagine walking into your local McDonalds and seeing that poor eejit standing behind the counter with Success written on his name tag :D

That reminds me.

There once was a emigrant girl who saw an add for success in Harlem. If you want to experience success, go to Apartment 123, xyc building it said. She went there, climbed the stairs, arrived panting and knocked on the door. This big black man answered. Hi, I'm " CESS", he smiled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

gigino wrote: »
    That reminds me.

There once was a emigrant girl who saw an add for success in Harlem. If you want to experience success, go to Apartment 123, xyc building it said. She went there, climbed the stairs, arrived panting and knocked on the door. This big black man answered. Hi, I'm " CESS", he smiled.

Jaysus, you sure butchered that joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

al28283 wrote: »
    waitin' for you to tell it better, but sure you cannot:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

gigino wrote: »
    al28283 wrote: »
    waitin' for you to tell it better, but sure you cannot:D
    Here it is.
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101010113009AAGmTdL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Bull****.

No, homerjay speaks the truth, I know a guy who pronounces it Anus too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Calem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

My mom's friend's a headteacher. Said she had a woman enrol her son in the school once.

'His name's goo-ey'
    'Goo-ey, ok. How's that spelt?'
    'G. U. Y'

Guessing she saw it in a book and decided to spice it up? A lot of my mom's students had completely made up names, anything ending in eece/ice/maine - Charlamaine, Shardeece, Cheldice. Just random letters thrown together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

brummytom wrote: »
    My mom's friend's a headteacher. Said she had a woman enrol her son in the school once.

'His name's goo-ey'
    'Goo-ey, ok. How's that spelt?'
    'G. U. Y'

Guessing she saw it in a book and decided to spice it up? A lot of my mom's students had completely made up names, anything ending in eece/ice/maine - Charlamaine, Shardeece, Cheldice. Just random letters thrown together.

Guy's bad enough in the first place.

Advertisement