Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Openeir fibre rollout

• 17-06-2021 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

I live in an apartment and openeir have installed fibre in the basement hooking up all the apartment blocks.

They've been there for months now but eir/vodafone etc say they can't provide fibre to the apartments.

How long does it normally take to become 'active' and is there somewhere to find out more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What this appears to suggest is that they have completed fiber to the apartment block but they are unable to actually do the internal building fiber installation. You need to contact your management company to see what options are to extend this. In theory, if you have an existing phone line from your apartment to where the fiber/ landline comes in, it should be possible to feed through a fiber from your apartment down to that and get it connected. You might try several of the BB providers to see if they provide an option to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user302243

What this appears to suggest is that they have completed fiber to the apartment block but they are unable to actually do the internal building fiber installation. You need to contact your management company to see what options are to extend this. In theory, if you have an existing phone line from your apartment to where the fiber/ landline comes in, it should be possible to feed through a fiber from your apartment down to that and get it connected. You might try several of the BB providers to see if they provide an option to do so.

All the apartments have fibre running to them from the basement. There's two cables, one for the fibre broadband and one for the virgin boxes.

All the providers say they don't support it because computer says no.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RoundCube

user302243 wrote: »
    How long does it normally take to become 'active' and is there somewhere to find out more?

3 months ago KN guys finished installing openeir infrastructure in my area. It's still not active. Don't expect them to be quick.

Fortunately SIRO is available.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Similar question on my end. Multi-unit development currently having fiber installed, another day or so and the fiber rollout will have completed with cable brought to the breakout boxes at each individual apartment.

How long should we expect before the fibre actually goes live and services can be provided? I know houses in the immediate vicinity have an active service and the development is adjacent to a large exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭EarWig

It always takes much longer than people expect. Based on experience (non apartments) once you see people laying the cable, it can take 6-12 months before you can actually order.

Really encouraging to read these cases.

Locations?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

EarWig wrote: »
    It always takes much longer than people expect. Based on experience (non apartments) once you see people laying the cable, it can take 6-12 months before you can actually order.

Was chatting with the lads doing the work, they were saying that the service should be live within a month and perhaps sooner.

I'll report back with an update!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Generally what happens is the fibre gets laid in the junction boxes in the street a duct from there goes to the basement or the riser in the hall. Kn are not allowed to run it up the inside of the building up the landing (they don't drill up risers either)
    Most end up on a project for another crew to run breakout boxes from the distribution point in the street to each floor.
    This is probably the stage your at.
    An ideal solution would be to have a room in the riser that can only be accessed by the caretaker that allows the fibre to be installed in a cabinet then the existing cat5 cables from there to each apartment to be plugged into it so the service could be brough over existing lines.
    However there may be other issues such as communal areas being powered off a different fuseboard and being linked via cat5 to apartment equipment which is powered by another fuseboard.
    A Poe injector would probably be the ideal scenario that mitigates this issue however it might affect throughout on the cat5 cable if it's also has to double up as a power supply.

babi-hrse wrote: »
    Generally what happens is the fibre gets laid in the junction boxes in the street a duct from there goes to the basement or the riser in the hall. Kn are not allowed to run it up the inside of the building up the landing (they don't drill up risers either)

Most end up on a project for another crew to run breakout boxes from the distribution point in the street to each floor.
    This is probably the stage your at.

KN Circet are after bringing the fibre from the basement into the riser and then out into the breakout boxes.The fibre was brought into the development junction boxes a few weeks back by KN and then this week the fibre has been brought by KN from the junction boxes, into the basement, up the risers and to the breakout boxes.

I reckon it must be the OP's management company that is slowing things up on his end. Once we gave approval KN came back to the development quickly to finish off the work, evidently eager to get the job done.
    babi-hrse wrote: »
    An ideal solution would be to have a room in the riser that can only be accessed by the caretaker that allows the fibre to be installed in a cabinet then the existing cat5 cables from there to each apartment to be plugged into it so the service could be brough over existing lines.
    However there may be other issues such as communal areas being powered off a different fuseboard and being linked via cat5 to apartment equipment which is powered by another fuseboard.
    A Poe injector would probably be the ideal scenario that mitigates this issue however it might affect throughout on the cat5 cable if it's also has to double up as a power supply.

We don't have CAT5 whatsoever in our development unfortunately. They've brought the fibre the whole way through to the breakout boxes located above each individual apartment door. We've been told that when an occupant contacts a service provider a first time connection will be provided free of charge by drilling a hole behind the breakout box directly into the apartment and feeding through the fibre. The occupant will get a few metres of fibre cable to wherever they want the end point for the router in their apartment.

We're lucky in that the risers were accessible from the basement onto each landing without the need for much structural work to be carried out. KN seemed to think the work would be a lot more difficult than it has been.

I've been chatting to installers about the setup too in terms of power supply and so on. They don't need to use any power whatsoever from the communal areas thankfully. All powered from the exchange so no cost to the management company whatsoever. A real no brainer by the management company to give KN the go ahead in my view.

I must say I'm impressed by the work that KN carried out. All neat and tidy. Some concrete had to be dug in the basement and they've poured fresh concrete the same day. They've also touched up any painting required in the common areas and so on while installing the breakout boxes / cabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've been chatting to installers about the setup too in terms of power supply and so on. They don't need to use any power whatsoever from the communal areas thankfully. All powered from the exchange so no cost to the management company whatsoever. A real no brainer by the management company to give KN the go ahead in my view.

Thats the nice thing about PON.

Advertisement