Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 today they said, sunny they said

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

But the sun didn't come out at all in Dublin today??

Maybe nor in your part? It did in mine....on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Maybe nor in your part? It did in mine....on and off.

Well I was all over today, it came out a few times at lunch time but that was the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,263 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

scorching this morning. out on the bike.just as I was going to get the lawnmower out it started raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Dew points are high, so it should feel close, muggy and sweaty whether it's sunny or not.
    I feel Irish people are too focused on sunshine when looking for good weather. Many a sunny day at this time of year will see temperatures stuck in the mid-teens on the east coast with a chilly sea breeze. People will perceive that as heatwave weather, but moan about cloudier but WARMER weather on a day like today.

Have to disagree. It’s rare that a sunny summer day where I am in Dublin will be chilly. With sun there is usually a bit of heat. And as others have said, sun and 18°C is much nicer than warm, muggy cloudiness. The intensity of the sun generally feels warm and that’s something you don’t get with clouds. And sun lifts the mood where clouds don’t.

FFVII wrote: »
    Highs of 17, grey most of day. It fupping rained for abit aswell. Midlands

Bullsh1t day!!!

In south America and some countries in Europe, the whole staff of equivalent met eireann there would be fired for the mess of forecasting this week.

No they wouldn’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭NSAman

35C nothing but sun, in shorts all day just in from sunbathing….wouldn’t mind some rain at this stage it’s been weeks. Ireland has great weather for the latitude it has. It’s a small island beside an ocean, weather is not an exact science, there are too many variables.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

It rained this evening

glightning wrote: »
    How were they spot on? They weren’t at all. There was no mention on their tweets about a significant portion of central Ireland and Northern Ireland being cloudy all day and some heavy rain??

This was their 2pm Tweet :-

With ��️ pushing 20+°C already, here is the afternoon update:

Warm & dry with sunny spells��️ in most areas this afternoon.

Cooler & cloudier☁️ near coasts in SW, W & NW with patches of drizzle & mist.

Highs��️ of 19 to 24°C generally, 15 to 19°C near Atlantic coasts

That is pretty damning.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

But the sun didn't come out at all in Dublin today?? It was a nice day as it was warm and no wind, but it was definitely dull and cloudy for the most part.

That was my experience of the weather in Dublin today also.

I looked at Met Eireann this morning and it had hours of just sunny sun, no cloud. It was as you said mostly dull & cloudy albeit warm.

Didn't any forecasts for Dublin have it down for dull & cloudy does anyone know?

Gonzo wrote: »
    25C and above is rare for Ireland. Plenty of summers have gone by without even reaching 25C and when it does it's usually just in a few places. Ireland depends on classic summers such as 1995, 2006, 2013 and 2018 for 25C to be comfortably reached or exceeded through most stations/parts of Ireland. Our geography could not be worse for high temperatures, we do not have the luxury of having France just off our coast to the south like England does, we are surrounded by 1000km+ of oceans on 3 sides of the island so sea breezes and the Atlantic keeps us generally more cloudy and cooler than any other European country with the exception of maybe Iceland.

Iceland is a good bit worse. I read stats somewhere and Iceland is a good bit more cloudy than us. And anecdotally, I’d believe it because there’s a Reykjavík webcam I follow and, christ on a bike, is it depressing how cloudy it is. The sky is on the ground pretty any time I look at it. I went to Iceland for a Friday-Monday trip in September 2017 and we were exceptionally lucky to have clear skies every day except one. Many Northern Lights spotting trips in Iceland fail because of cloud cover rather than lack of aurora activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It was a cracking day in Clonmel, all day. Burnt to a crisp but it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I was on the beach in north County Dublin all day. The overcast and sea breeze with intermittent sunny spells was absolutely perfect with the humid 23/24 C, made it very bearable and beautifully pleasant to dip in and out of the cool sea and to eat, play and snooze on the sand. Still needed loads of SPF, the overcast did nothing for that! A gorgeous day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

glightning wrote: »
    How were they spot on? They weren’t at all. There was no mention on their tweets about a significant portion of central Ireland and Northern Ireland being cloudy all day and some heavy rain??

This was their 2pm Tweet :-

With 🌡️ pushing 20+°C already, here is the afternoon update:

Warm & dry with sunny spells🌤️ in most areas this afternoon.

Cooler & cloudier☁️ near coasts in SW, W & NW with patches of drizzle & mist.

Highs🌡️ of 19 to 24°C generally, 15 to 19°C near Atlantic coasts

I just can't take their Twitter feed seriously at all because of all those ridiculous and pointless 'emojis' they seem to constantly use. A quick read of their website/app forecast is good enough for me.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This was the UK Met cloud map on their forecast channel today for the mid-afternoon period. While not spot on perfect, it did seem pretty close to the mark:

qUXhNcV.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo got to 21.6c today and it was sunny from 7am until 2pm then cloudy n now raining.

This was the best day of Summer so far but not including May or end of April in that when there wasa couple of warm days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

June in cork has been great??

Sorry live in Dublin.. Weather has been great in Dublin with lots of sunshine.. The last 2 days in Cork were fantastic. Today was especially great..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,912 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Chucking it down in North Donegal now.
    Bit of rain won't go amiss tbh, been very dry for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bringastick

Struggled to get past 14 degrees today in Mulranny. I’ve never been so disappointed with a forecast, although to be fair we have travelled up from Clare for the week and hadn’t been specifically checking the weather for this area. We drove out to Achill earlier after a failed attempt to go to the beach (started raining after walking there with 2 children under 2!! ) and we couldn’t actually see the sea in Achill the visibility was so poor.
    Rest of the week looks exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭appledrop

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I was on the beach in north County Dublin all day. The overcast and sea breeze with intermittent sunny spells was absolutely perfect with the humid 23/24 C, made it very bearable and beautifully pleasant to dip in and out of the cool sea and to eat, play and snooze on the sand. Still needed loads of SPF, the overcast did nothing for that! A gorgeous day.

Labre we were the exact same, we spent 6 hours on the beach and were actually saying we wouldn't have been able to stay all day if it was sunny all the time as it would have been too strong and you would get burnt to a crisp!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bit overcast in Dublin but so warm I didn't care a jot. In fact a very warm breeze is lovely.

I'd take today every day. Don't really need the blazing sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭compsys

Gonzo wrote: »
    25C and above is rare for Ireland. Plenty of summers have gone by without even reaching 25C and when it does it's usually just in a few places. Ireland depends on classic summers such as 1995, 2006, 2013 and 2018 for 25C to be comfortably reached or exceeded through most stations/parts of Ireland. Our geography could not be worse for high temperatures, we do not have the luxury of having France just off our coast to the south like England does, we are surrounded by 1000km+ of oceans on 3 sides of the island so sea breezes and the Atlantic keeps us generally more cloudy and cooler than any other European country with the exception of maybe Iceland.

Western parts of Norway do poorly as well.

Bergen and Stavanger, the country’s second and third biggest cities, would make Dublin look dry!

The Faroe Islands would make us look warm.

Oslo a completely different story (the city is about the same distance from Bergen as Dublin is to London proving distances of that length have hugely differing climates elsewhere also).

But we drew the short straw when it comes to weather. Particularly the West. I couldn’t cope with the weather in Donegal and Galway.

Christ, even the artic circle in northern Finland will be hotter than us next week…

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

West kerry ... Overcast, fog, rain, drizzle for most of last week ... Sun is out now .... Finally

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭eon1208

Yesterday was slow opening but it turned into a super afternoon in Laois. As forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I'm in the South East. It was extremely skin burning hot yesterday. NO cloud cover. It stayed that way until around 7pm.

By far hottest all year.

You couldn't get to the beach as they were full by 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

STB. wrote: »
    I'm in the South East. It was extremely skin burning hot yesterday. NO cloud cover. It stayed that way until around 7pm.

By far hottest all year.

You couldn't get to the beach as they were full by 11am.

Yesterday was a fabulous day in these parts actually a proper summers day and the first real proper one we’ve had. Saturday was nice too but was a bit lacking in sun. Yesterday was a day to savour!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Larbre34 wrote: »

Ehhh.....I was also on a beach in North County Dublin, all yesterday morning and it wasn't that pleasant! The breeze was quite cool and there was no sun at all. The Sunday before was actually nicer. The weather did improve in the afternoon, but beaches are too crowded around here now on sunny weekends. There were surprising number of people at the beach at the same time (early), obviously expecting the better weather too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes the cloudy/supposed to be sunny weather in Dublin caused traffic chaos, this was Bull Island and Portmarnock beach yesterday.

https://twitter.com/hopkins_joan/status/1404089633516961803

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

bet many the tee time was missed down on the old course yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Very cloudy and nippy at times . Heavy grey clouds, think the clouds spilt once or twice you could feel the heat from the sun. In my part of Dublin no where as warm as it was meant to be
    So it sounds some parts of towns , city's was a hit and miss .
    Just hope we have better luck all over July/August...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Heatwave Tuesday they said.

Still no sign and tomorrow Friday

Advertisement