Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Don't like this heat but anything that's not normal is interesting weather all the same. When I say normal I mean compared to average . For me though a perfect summers day is clear and sunny with temperatures around 21c and cool nights ( many nights last summer were often nice and cool which was perfect )anything approaching the mid 20s I find too warm.

I like every season to have its seasonal feel,so even if temperatures are higher then normal it does have a very summer feel to things. Hope the coming winter can have its proper seasonal days too.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Ideal would be:

30% of summer between 25-30c (understandably a nightmare for many I imagine)

60% between 20-25c

10% reserved for sub 20c and poorer fare to change it up and give some relief. Intermittent heavy rains/storms to keep water levels sufficient.

I sleep easily too. Night temperature to be fair drop nicely in Dublin most of the time compared to further inland, 13-16c usually. My bedroom has been a steady 23-25c at night for sleeping the last week, no windows open and I still use my standard year round duvet throughout the night. It's a mindset baby. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Can really feel the rise in humidity this evening. 29°c still in the house ffs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Days like today are regular fare throughout most of Europe between June and early September. It's really only Ireland, UK, coastal areas of northern France and the low countries as well as western Norway that regularly experiences cool and wet weather throughout the summer and rely on the azores high ridging in or heat plumes up from Spain/Africa. Ireland probably has to work harder at this than any other country in Europe (aside from Iceland).

My ideal summer would be:

50% of the time: daytime temperatures of 24 to 35C. Nighttime temperatures of 18 to 24C.

10% of the time: a big range in temperatures between 18C and 32C with lots of thunderstorms and rainfall.

40% of the time: classic sunny summer weather without being too hot. 25 to 30C daytime, 20 to 24C nighttime.

Of course for the above all Irish homes would need the air conditioning for the summer months. With decent aircon temperatures can go up to 40C everyday and you will still feel nice and cool inside the house by day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Roasted out of it on the first day of our staycation in Killarney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

It's beautiful to have the sun and heat outside, but holy moly it must be 30-35° in here still, and it's 9pm

Windows open but no wind, fan blasting so much it might damage my ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

9pm and still 26 degrees at Gurteen & Mullingar.

Unbelievable!🌡☀️

Air con is a big thing Gonzo. Any houses with a lot of glass on the sun facing side of the house heat up massively during the day in Ireland, often several degrees higher than outdoors. 20c puts our indoor temps at around 23-25c for the house. You'd need a drafty house to lose built up heat like that overly quick. You do get little relief till much later at night here which probably turns a lot of people off hot weather.

Also I still find a huge amount of people who 'misuse' windows during hot weather. If it's going to be 25-30c, windows closed and curtains/blinds drawn early in the day if you don't want your house to become unbearable. My Dad would have every window in the house open to 'cool the house down'...yes let that cool 28 degree inside when inside is 20-22c. Once late evening comes or night time then is the time to open the windows when the temperature has dropped.

Rule of thumb - if its warmer outside, keep it out. If its warmer inside, let it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

The windows thing depends on your house + in Ireland usually always a cool breeze , even in heatwave like today which you don't get on continent.

We get sun at front of house in morning, so this afternoon o had blinds down most of way in front + windows open and it was coolest part of house, it was lovely.

You should never closed curtains aswell that will just retain the heat shining in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

My ideal would be sunny, low 20s maxes, cool nights around 12-14C

I do like the odd day like today, but the nights inside the house are oppressive. I live in a well insulated house with big windows so the heat really builds up and stays put all night.

• Advertisement

Unless the "cool" breeze makes the outdoor temperature lower than inside then the point still stands IMO. A breeze on a hot day, like today where temps by the coast were still 24 degrees isn't what I'd call cooling, just being a hair drier and still letting all the heat inside. Now if you can get a significant draft going in your house that creates a wind chill effect and drives much better heat loss from your body - then I guess open them windows but if there is that strong of a breeze outside it likely isn't 25-30 degrees outside, especially where breezes are strongest on the coast. Then it'd probably be warmer inside so you'd open the windows.

Also a closed window with curtains or blind open creates a sauna from the sun shining in. You definitely need them drawn early before it heats up outside if you want to try keep the heat out. They key is early. Yes, if you do it at 4pm after the house has heated up then you're just locking in that heat by closing curtains at that stage.

But if blinds down and windows open worked for your house then I guess there's exceptions to the theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Thank god for portable fans is all I can say. Make a decent night's sleep possible in temps such as these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

My ideal summer would be sunny and 23 -28 all summer long with occasional cooler day around 20. I am not a fan of temps over 30 but love mid to high 20s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yes...I think I have to go back to 1995 to recall this type of warmth felt right up to 11pm at night. We certainly had hotter peak temperature days in heatwaves during 2003, 2006, 2013 and 2018 but the temps peaked on those days in mid to late afternoon and then tumbled back after 7pm. Seeing so many stations with 25c after 7pm is truly a rare occurrence!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

I'm living in one of today's hotspots and I found it very easy to sit out in it under the shade of a tree. Could easily have done so all day.

1995 was a beaut of a summer. Still the gold standard for this 38 year old.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This 48 year old remembers the summer of 1995 very well. The year I finished college. What seemed likes weeks of cloudless skies and glorious heat.

The low humidity made today very comfortable for this ginger, in the shade. Nice breeze too at times. Tonight's low will be a balmy 18C. Not sure how I might sleep!

1995 was phenomenal, will never forget it. Endless sunny warm days, will struggle to ever beat it.

I’m honestly so envious you got to experience that summer as an early twenty something. Don’t get me wrong, it was pretty sweet as a 12 year old too. The one and only summer I ever used my hometown’s outdoor pool. We were there at least two or three days a week. 50p in and you could stay all day. Which we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Beautiful set of lenticular clouds display over the bog north west of Athlone this evening. Always make an appearance when the weather is good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Lip Out

Always find the "it's too warm" comments amusing after a few days of nice weather. Don't worry... you will have your 11 months and 2 weeks of grey, dismal Atlantic weather to look forward to soon enough.

Apologies if already posted but the max temps today were:

Athenry 29.5

Mount Dillon 29.2

Dunsany 29.2

Gurteen 29.0

shannon airport 28.9

oak park 28.2

mullingar 28.1

Phoenix park 28.0

casement 28.0

Plenty of others between 25-27

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

It's just great having lovely weather this week. Had the paddling pool out, took kids to the beach and nearby river for a paddle without being frozen cold, sitting out the back garden with a glass of wine in t-shirt and shorts at 9pm. We don't get this weather often so I'm relishing every minute! Heading to the beach again tomorrow at 8am for a morning dip :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Totally with you on this. There should be a separate thread for the moaners. Seldom is wonderful. This is absolutely amazing summer weather. The Atlantic muck westerlies can wait till August!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I didn't realise Dunsany reached over 29C today. An absolute rarity for this part of Meath.

I'm still finding the temperature record in Northern Ireland a bit strange, it's right beside the coast and all the other NI stations have reports of about 26 to 29C but nothing even close to 31.2C.

The Dunsany high temperature was for one hour only as far as I could see. It was a weird surge. All the other hotspots were like that all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I don't get why so many people moan about the small inconveniences of a few days of beautiful warm sunny weather yet there's almost universal positivity on here towards snow and ice despite the huge disruption they cause!

I'd gladly take a repeat of today every day from May to September, stunning weather that makes you feel guilty not getting out and enjoying it. More of the same please 😎

Post edited by Donegal Storm on

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

There was definitely a night when it was 27 c at 7 pm in Dublin so I would assume 25 till much later in 2018. I was at the killers/Franz Ferdinand gig in the RDS if anyone remembers that day and it was a complete scorcher. I have a FB post tagged with the casement temp at 6.58 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Banarol

30C is called the magic mark for a reason. Gerard Fleming talked about it during the Summer of 1995. There was numerous days that Summer when the temperature maxed out at 29.... There was a 31.5 on the 2nd August that year but the temp maxed out at 29 on a remarkable number of days that Summer. More than likely will continue to max out at 28/29 in the coming days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Another station, Killowen, not too far from Ballywhatsit had reached 30.8C which is equal to the Northern Ireland record in June 1976 and July 1983. It will be quality checked anyway before it is verified as a new record.

Would you believe that 29.2C at Dunsany was its highest temperature since July 1983 when it last recorded a max of 29C or above. The only other month since records began in 1964 that Dunsany achieved one day of 29C was August 1975. 13 July 1983 holds the Dunsany record of 30.3C. So the description of 'an absolute rarity' is very much true! Pretty remarkable to be honest. After the first 2 weeks of July, I wouldn't have seen a turnaround like this coming. Only other example of such in a single month I can think of is May 2012 which had a very cool and unsettled first 3 weeks but a heatwave/warm spell in final week.

Meanwhile, another fabulous morning in Dublin. Been pretty much unbroken sunshine since Friday on the Dublin coast whilst very warm at the same time with lack of a strong breeze to moderate the air much of the time. Yesterday in particular was vintage. This spell is something else, I will remember the summer of 2021 fondly for this period alone. I am truly loving it.

Advertisement