Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

clohamon wrote: »
    Should be some easy pickings there. I'd reckoned they'd leave urban failures until last. Seems not.
    Might encourage Eircom to speed up their urban FTTP program.

503018.png
    I’m fully convinced Eirs ignorance to Rochestown is pure laziness honestly. Plenty of houses up here and zero reason to suggest its not “commercially viable”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Pique wrote: »
    Hopefully that would make it harder to kill the deal if they are already actively working on individual connections rather than just the BCPs.

Exactly this, the best thing NBI could do now is pick the lowest hanging fruit and immediately connect them up to fibre, get out the press and a few happy householders and start positive spin immediately. Get fibre into some rural part of Connemara immediately also. It is going to take time we all realised this but we are into very positive territory compared to even just 12 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

theguzman wrote: »
    Exactly this, the best thing NBI could do now is pick the lowest hanging fruit and immediately connect them up to fibre, get out the press and a few happy householders and start positive spin immediately. Get fibre into some rural part of Connemara immediately also. It is going to take time we all realised this but we are into very positive territory compared to even just 12 months ago.
    If we get FF FG GP coalition we will probably be OK, If we got SF and others then it is the end of the NBP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Pique

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    If we get FF FG GP coalition we will probably be OK, If we got SF and others then it is the end of the NBP

If the Greens get CCCAE it's in danger. Eamon Ryan was dead against it.

Remember this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Remember this?

The greens have bigger fish to fry than stopping the broadband plan whereas it's a central demand of FG ,I would have thought,so no need to worry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Remember this?
    let hope they don't get in because Eamon Ryan give anybody a bad headache listening to his rubbish talk.

Remember this?
    They won't have enough TDs to stop it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭clohamon

Remember this?

Green manifesto was supportive.
    Green Party
    6.7 Digital Economy (p30)
    Implement the National Broadband Plan while exercising all available options to minimise the cost and maximise the use of the new service.
    9.6 Rural Regeneration (p43)
    Implement the National Broadband Plan and support the development of working from home initiatives in the public and other State services.
    https://www.greenparty.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/GP-manifesto-2020-FINAL.pdf

Examiner reporting a High Court challenge from LightNet. For hearing in April.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/west-of-ireland-broadband-provider-challenges-decision-over-next-generation-standards-982275.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm

A broadband provider in the west of Ireland has brought a High Court challenge to a decision that its network does not meet next generation standards under the National Broadband Plan.

Lighthouse Networks, trading as Lightnet, claims the decision by the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment means its functional area will not be excluded from the national plan and that it will then have to compete with the State subsidised service.
    Lighthouse director Des Chambers, who is also a lecturer in computer science in University College Galway, says in an affidavit the company engaged with the Department and its advisers throughout the assessment process in the expectation that it would apply assessment criteria reasonably, fairly and in line with practice in other EU jurisdictions.

It also relied on the Department's assurance that its (department's) technical experts would attend an on-site meeting to deal with detailed matters.

"Neither of these expectations were met", he says. The impact of this has been the company has not further invested or expanded its network despite having grown rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Actions like these were expected.

There is some issues with how the last submitted data were evaluated and goalposts were moved by the department undermining existing providers that actually provide speeds deemed to be within NGA standards.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »

There is some issues with how the last submitted data were evaluated and goalposts were moved by the department undermining existing providers that actually provide speeds deemed to be within NGA standards.

/M

It would be great if one or some of the (W)ISPs would publish the letter of rejection they got from the Department.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Marlow wrote: »

/M
    I haven't been closely following the NBP saga, but my understanding is that it's aim is to provide a FTTH service to the rural homes that neither Eir, Siro nor Virgin Media will connect as they are deemed commercially unprofitable.

Lightnet, from what I could quickly gather, is a Wireless ISP with FTTH services in a number of areas; it wouldn't make sense for the NBP to overlap those FTTH areas and if those areas are commercially viable then Lightnet would be competing with the aforementioned.
    They might have a point if the NBP service area overlaps their FTTH service area, but if it's a case of FTTH (government subsidised or not) vs RF - I don't see how they could compete with the limitations of the technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

I haven't been closely following the NBP saga, but my understanding is that it's aim is to provide a FTTH service to the rural homes that neither Eir, Siro nor Virgin Media will connect as they are deemed commercially unprofitable.

Lightnet, from what I could quickly gather, is a Wireless ISP with FTTH services in a number of areas; it wouldn't make sense for the NBP to overlap those FTTH areas and if those areas are commercially viable then Lightnet would be competing with the aforementioned.
    They might have a point if the NBP service area overlaps their FTTH service area, but if it's a case of FTTH (government subsidised or not) vs RF - I don't see how they could compete with the limitations of the technology.

They certainly appear to be making the claim in relation to their RF footprint
    Lighthouse says it provides broadband to more than 6,000 premises in Galway, east Offaly, Clare and up to the border of Roscommon. It claims its technology is 30% more spectrally efficient than the current best licensed wireless access services.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I'm sure the Department won't want to let the flood gates open on this which must be test case.

Talk about a PITA if somehow your area was excluded from NBP fiber because you lie somewhere in Lightnet's wireless service area.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Are there any other providers in the same boat as Lightnet I wonder.

westyIrl wrote: »
    They certainly appear to be making the claim in relation to their RF footprint

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I'm sure the Department won't want to let the flood gates open on this which must be test case.

Talk about a PITA if somehow your area was excluded from NBP fiber because you lie somewhere in Lightnet's wireless service area.

Jim
    Lightnet data is not accurate, they say they cover our area, I contacted them, their engineer came and said no signal, Airwire map covers my house, I contacted them, same result, engineer came, no signal.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    The greens have bigger fish to fry than stopping the broadband plan whereas it's a central demand of FG ,I would have thought,so no need to worry?
    No.
    Greens don't fry fish, they fry carrots.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ultimanemo wrote:
    No. Greens don't fry fish, they fry carrots.

Fry! We re too mean for that, we eat them straight out of the ground, muck and all

java wrote: »
    Are there any other providers in the same boat as Lightnet I wonder.

Following is the list from the Wisdm submission to the consultation, so presumably they all have ‘skin in the game’ as Lidar data is not cheap. There’s also Imagine.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/consultations/Documents/88/submissions/Wireless%20ISP%20Group%20NonConfidential.pdf

Airwave Internet
    Airwire
    Alpha Wave
    Aptus Broadband
    Atlantek
    BBNet
    Bluebox
    Cork internet Exchange
    Digital Forge
    Eurona Brisknet
    Ivertec
    Kernet Broadband
    Kerry Broadband
    Lighnet
    MTS Media
    Munster Wireless
    Net1
    Nova Broadband
    NuWave
    Orion Digital Services Ltd.
    Rapid Broadband
    Real Broadband
    Regional Broadband
    Skytel Broadband
    Total Wireless / HiSpeed
    Whizzy Internet
    WiFiber
    Wireless Connect

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

I'm 10 miles outside of Cork City - so not too far from the city but rural all the same. SIRO stopped about 750m from our house.

Came home yesterday to find two guys parked outside my gate and checking out the poles on the road. Had a quick chat with them and they were surveying from NBI - told me thats the first step in the process - their survey - that gets submitted - signed off - architected and then rolled out.

They reckon they cable on our road will be done within a year.

They had an iPad with them which had a mapping application on it where they were marking the route and identifying the poles and had no problem changing the route they had for my house when I pointed out to them I had ducting run to a different pole - seemed like organised guys.

Whether there is fibre running past our place in a year we will have to wait and see.

One question I have though.

I have a duct running to a pole and then into a panel on the side of my house - similar to an ESB meter box.
    Within that box I have power and a CAT6 cable into the house.

Will I be able to use that setup for the Fibre conection and avoid drilling walls etc do ye reckon?

djd80 wrote: »
    I'm 10 miles outside of Cork City - so not too far from the city but rural all the same. SIRO stopped about 750m from our house.

Came home yesterday to find two guys parked outside my gate and checking out the poles on the road. Had a quick chat with them and they were surveying from NBI - told me thats the first step in the process - their survey - that gets submitted - signed off - architected and then rolled out.

They had an iPad with them which had a mapping application on it where they were marking the route and identifying the poles and had no problem changing the route they had for my house when I pointed out to them I had ducting run to a different pole - seemed like organised guys.

Whether there is fibre running past our place in a year we will have to wait and see.

I have a duct running to a pole and then into a panel on the side of my house - similar to an ESB meter box.

Will I be able to use that setup for the Fibre conection and avoid drilling walls etc do ye reckon?
    I like your optimism

• Advertisement

2 lads out surveying for 4site with iPads again today and yesterday in Rochestown, Cork City.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Fry! We re too mean for that, we eat them straight out of the ground, muck and all
    People who do that are usually farmers, the typical green person is a guy lives in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The process of rolling-out high-speed broadband to thousands of homes and businesses currently without services will begin in the “coming weeks” with a major review of the existing support network.

Starting next month, staff attached to National Broadband Ireland (NBI), the firm awarded the National Broadband Plan contract last November, will be travelling roads and lane-ways within a 20 kilometres radius of Cavan Town to kick-start the delivery.
    There are, at present, some 16,200 premises across Cavan currently without access to high-speed broadband. This figure represents 38% of all premises, both business and residential, and to solve the issue the government announced it would invest €65 million in supporting the roll-out plan.
    Joe Lavin, Chief Commercial Officer with NBI told Councillors at their monthly meeting last Monday, February 17, the benefits of high-speed internet connectivity will be felt in communities from as early as this time next year once work is completed on building out the network.
    What is needed to deliver such high-speed connectivity will start next month (March 2020) with an extensive survey of the existing Eir network in “townlands around Cavan town”.
    The survey, he said, will provide NBI with a “detailed plan” for how every every premises in the area will eventually be connected.
    “We'll be looking to see if there's space in underground ducts, or space on poles, and where we need to get additional poles if necessary,” said Mr Lavin.
    Nationally, NBI believe that in order to pass the 536,000 homes and businesses nationwide, it will require 89,454 kilometres of overhead fibre-optic cabling, 1.46 million poles, with a further 15,057km of cable to be placed underground.
    Cavan was the third local authority meeting to be addressed by Mr Lavin, who said that the county is “high” on the agenda for high speed broadband delivery.
    Mr Lavin explained to the meeting the network will be expanded “like a jigsaw” from central locations, starting with Cavan Town.
    Cavan Town will act as a connection point in the high-speed national broadband network backbone, that will then link with “nodes” located in more rural areas.
    Some nodes across the county, such as those located in the east and west of the Cavan, would be connected to core connectivity points in neighbouring counties Monaghan and Leitrim.
    NBI will have “boots on the ground” and staff “pulling fibre-optic cable” to build out of the network from the second half of this year, with a suggested completion date of early 2021 when home and business owners will then be able to place connection orders.
    Those areas not included in the current phase of the roll-out would be included in an extended survey to be carried out between 2021-22.

https://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2020/02/22/4186073-no-one-left-behind-as-broadband-rollout-starts-in-march/

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sponsorgate

djd80 wrote: »

Be interested to find out your setup. Currently building a house & want to have infrastructure in place so can just hook up to it when the time comes( i'm not to optimistic it will be anytime soon)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Orebro

NBI response to queries on their Facebook page about when people can find out timelines:

thank you so much for reaching out to NBI on Facebook. National Broadband Ireland (NBI) have started the first design surveys for the National Broadband Plan (NBP). These are being undertaken in Cork, and will shortly commence in Galway, Limerick and Cavan. When surveys are completed in each deployment area, this will enable low level designs for fibre rollout there. We expect to have a high level phase one of the rollout plan on our website at the end of March.
    In Year One (2020) almost 300 Broadband Connection Points – for free public access to high speed internet – will be in place across the Intervention Area (IA).
    In Year Two, NBI will be working on the fibre build in every county across Ireland and up to 115,000 premises will be passed.
    By Year 4 over half of premises will be passed. The network build will take up to seven years as it will cover 96% of Ireland’s land mass and involves laying 100,000 km of fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Does that mean Cork Limerick and Galway would be the first counties to get rolled out if that’s what they are looking at rn?

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Does that mean Cork Limerick and Galway would be the first counties to get rolled out if that’s what they are looking at rn?
    I assume they're doing the easiest ones first. IE nearest to cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Orebro wrote: »
    NBI response to queries on their Facebook page about when people can find out timelines:

thank you so much for reaching out to NBI on Facebook. National Broadband Ireland (NBI) have started the first design surveys for the National Broadband Plan (NBP). These are being undertaken in Cork, and will shortly commence in Galway, Limerick and Cavan. When surveys are completed in each deployment area, this will enable low level designs for fibre rollout there. We expect to have a high level phase one of the rollout plan on our website at the end of March.
    In Year One (2020) almost 300 Broadband Connection Points – for free public access to high speed internet – will be in place across the Intervention Area (IA).
    In Year Two, NBI will be working on the fibre build in every county across Ireland and up to 115,000 premises will be passed.
    By Year 4 over half of premises will be passed. The network build will take up to seven years as it will cover 96% of Ireland’s land mass and involves laying 100,000 km of fibre.

I wonder how detailed this will be, will they be showing roads they will be passing down and when??

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭user1842

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    I wonder how detailed this will be, will they be showing roads they will be passing down and when??

Why cannot they get this information from open eir. Surely if you are paying to use their poles, they should tell you where the poles are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Was kilkenny not meant to be done before cavan

Advertisement