Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

• 24-11-2010 8:28pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Welcome, if your reading this you have questions about getting Broadband, this thread isn't for questions on how to fix Broadband issues or how slow your Broadband might be but it hopefully will answer alot of common questions when it comes to choosing the Broadband you want.
    IMPORTANT
    Before you start I'd recommend you read the FAQ/Charter Sticky as this may answer your question before you post a question here.

Remember this thread is only for questions about choosing a provider, any other off-topic posts such as technical problems you have will be deleted. This is also not ISP bashing thread so no "UPC/Eircom sux" type of posts please as these will be removed.

Anyway first things first, there are a number of different types of Broadband providers in Ireland and here's how they break down.

ADSL Providers (Eircom & Eircom Wholesale Resellers):
    The vast majority of ADSL Providers in Ireland use standard "eircom" telephone lines, so in short if you have an Eircom line and you can get Eircom Broadband then you can also get Broadband from ANY of these providers as they rent the exact same equipment from Eircom Wholesale. You are not limited to just Eircom and as such you will often get better value from any of the resellers below.
    Vodafone
    Eircom
    UTV
    Perlico
    Smart
    Digiweb
    TalkTalk

Some things to keep in mind before ordering:
    When ordering this type of ADSL Broadband remember that your price may not include line rental which is currently €25.36 a month, all of the above providers also offer bundled telephone and broadband packages which are often much better value and they also mean you won't have to have a seperate line rental bill with Eircom.

Finally remember all the above providers services come with a 12 month commimum commitment period

ADSL Providers (LLU Providers):
    In "selected" areas in Ireland certain providers have installed their own equipment in telephone exchanges, LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) providers won't have their equipment in every exchange because its extremely expensive to install the required equipment.

However if its installed at your local exchange you will generally be able to get cheaper or faster Broadband and you may also be able to get TV services.

LLU providers in Ireland include:
    Magnet
    Smart
    Vodafone

The great thing about LLU providers is generally speaking the technoloigy used at your local exchange (if LLU is available) is more up-t-date and as such is designed to provide much faster speeds.

As suich whilst eircom and all its resellers can only provide upto 7MB speeds LLU providers can provide upto 24MB speeds. In addition as the company actually owns the equipment at the exchange they don't have to pay eircom line rental so monthly prices tend to be much better value. Finally Magnet also offer a TV service too.

Finally remember all the above providers services come with a 12 month commimum commitment period

Cable Providers:
    Sadly there are only two cable providers in Ireland, cable has the added advantage of providing much faster speeds (upto 120MB) then ADSL Broadband and often at a much cheaper price. However it is generally only availavle in large towns and citys.

Cable Providers in Ireland include:
    UPC
    CableSurf (Dungarven, Co Waterford Only)

Whilst UPC don't charge line rental line eircom do all their Bropadband prices are based on the assumption that you already have the basic analog TV package which costs around €24.99, if you don't want the basic TV package because for example your already with Sky then a surcharge of €7.75 currently applys.

"Mid-band" Mobile Broadband Providers:
    So called "Mobile Broadband" services are available from O2, Vodafone, Meteor & Three. Please goto the Mid-Band forum for further information on this type of service.

Whilst Midband services are great for mobility they are not really the same as ADSL & Cable due to the current technology being used, speed can vary ALOT depending on many factors in addition this type of technology isn't very suitable for online gaming or VoIP.

In short whilst one provider might work great in one area in could be awful in another area as the more people that are using that particualr provider in an area will often mean it will be slower.

So called "Mobile Broadband" service are however generally ideal for simply web browsing and collecting of e-mails etc.

Finally remember Midband providers generally provide both bill pay (contract) and Pay As You Go options.

Wireless (Wi-Max) Providers:
    Need to write this up still, suggestions very much welcome for this.
    Very Important Things to Remember:
    Speed:
    When choosing an ADSL Broadband provider or any provider for that matter remember that speeds are provided as "upto", simply put this means that while you may sign up to XYZ provider that provides upto 7MB speed the actual speed you will receive very much depends on the physical quality of your telephone wiring (both inside and outside your home) and the physical distance your home is from the local telephone exchange.

In addition the speed you receive can depend on other factors which may or may not be beyond your providers controls, these include the amount of users in your area that are using the servoice heavbily and what type of service you are trying to use (P2P for example).

Usage Caps/Fair Usage Policys:
    Choose your provider carefully as many providers came with set download caps which if you exceed you will either be limited, forced to upgrade to a higher package or charged an excess usage fee. If your looking for a truely unlimited ISP I would suggest reading this post first.

Remember that even ISP's like UPC who have no set usage cap displayed on their website still have a Fair Usage Policy which as of the 25/11/2010 is about 250GB per month, other providers like Magnets also have Fair Usage Policys but apparently as of the 18/11/2010 have not enforced it yet.

Getting a telephone line installed:
    If you decided to get ADSL Broadband from either Eircom, Vodafone, UTV etc then your going to need a telephone line (thats if you don't already have one), its important to remember that if you need to get a telephone line installed then you may incur installation costs.

In addition to installation costs its VERY important to remember that if you get Eircom to install a telephone line then this comes with a 6 month contract period, so if you then decided to move to Vodafone for line rental & Broadband Eircom will charge you a contract buyout fee.

Thread Feedback:
    This opening post is a work in progress that is open feedback as much if you have suggestions for how it can be made better in some way then please post your suggestions in the feedback thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Just a quick question.

The Eircom website has a checker where you put in your phone number and it tells you if you can get broadband.

Is there anywhere I can enter my number to see what the max speed on my telephone line is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is there anywhere I can enter my number to see what the max speed on my telephone line is ?

If you ring them up, they might tell you what's the maximum you can order. This can often be a bit of guess work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wipednwired

Hey all,

I can't get UPC in my new place, and WiMax is saying they've maxed out their lines for the month, and besides, they charge 150 for a new install.

So, I am looking for feedback on the best broadband in Portobello, off SCR, closer to Clanbrassil side.

Magnet and Smart look like good options.

- I like a lot of speed, but 10MB or 15MB (if it actually hits that level) is good enough.
    - Don't really want download caps.
    - Don't need a landline, so don't want to pay for one if necessary (but a smaller charge might be ok)

Any feedback on Magnet or Smart? Any other options to consider? Eircom seems too expensive.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I'm with eircom now and on 7Mb. Had a look on digiweb and where i'm living now (Roundwood, Wicklow) lists that i can get 24Mb with them is this right and how do they rate on service.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

If an addition could be made for FTTH (Magnet offering) and satalite broadband (Magnet dont offer sat BB but for some, in remote locations, it is a life saver) the list would be much more complete.

Good work all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone is getting a good service in these areas?? i changed from BT to Eircom and its a nightmare..keeps crashing.

I was thinking of trying 3 or o2 but not sure if I am wasting my time?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Hi..sorry but could anyone help here?
    Im trying to work from home with weather and basically my sh*te broadband going to get me fired :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I'm looking at moving but I need broadband for work. I need ti good enough for a remote connection so I'm told landline is pretty much my only option.

How can I find out what areas actually have landline broadband before I start looking at places there?
    I don't have phone numbers for areas and the maps I've seen so far are wrong. (They show broadband in an area I know for sure doesn't have it).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Reading through the forum has me totally confused.

I currently have eircom 1mb package, have had it for about 4 or 5 years now (first broadband package i ever got) and decided its time for an upgrade. Trying to download 4.4GB files and them taking up to 3 days is my main reason.

I want to use broadband mainly for Internet browsing, music and movie downloads and for xbox live. I also might have up to 4 people using the broadband at any one time in the house. What has me confused is you have one person saying UPC is the best around and nothing compares to it and then you have another saying they are having problems and Magnet is the best. So if anyone could enlighten me it would be a great help. I am in Limerick City on the Ennis Rd side by the way.

Which would be the best for me Magnet 5mb or UPC 15mb? Pretty sure i can get either of these.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wipednwired

How good a connection is depends on a number of things - quality of phone line, area, speed, and the provider itself. But I am cringing (in sympathy) at the fact that you have to wait 3 days for a movie! Ahhh the pain! If you have the possibility to get 15MB through UPC, I wouldn't hesitate or think twice about it. Cable is *usually* more stable than phone lines, because it's newer and not affected by, well, the phone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Jofspring

How good a connection is depends on a number of things - quality of phone line, area, speed, and the provider itself. But I am cringing (in sympathy) at the fact that you have to wait 3 days for a movie! Ahhh the pain! If you have the possibility to get 15MB through UPC, I wouldn't hesitate or think twice about it. Cable is *usually* more stable than phone lines, because it's newer and not affected by, well, the phone :)

I've taken a punt and ordered the 15mb with UPC. If i could get anywhere even close to this speed i would be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 methodinsane

Hi,

In Daingean, Co. Offaly. Looking at different providers - currently I'm using vodafone 3G; good connection here but it's "midband", now I'm looking for broadband.

I went to Digiweb's site and checked availability for broadband (no bundle) - DSL packages were returned. Then I tried to search for availability on bundles (I don't have an active phone line yet) - Metro bundles were presented to me.

Does anyone know if Metro wireless is available in this area as it's more attractive than DSL since I can opt out of having paying an extortionate amount for phone line rental (25 bucks is crazy compared to other countries!).

Thanks,
    JP

P.S. Please no suggestions for Vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Hey guys
    Moving into a new rented apartment in Limerick, so I don't think I can install a new phone line / cables etc (There is no existing phone line). If so I guess midband is my only option left? :( UPC told me they only do digital Tv and not broadband in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭oldmantime

Hey,

I'm looking for some advice for broadband, eircom is doing it's customary thing where it knocks off astonishingly regularly and they are about as much use a chocolate teapot when it comes to fixing it so I'm going to move providers, the 2 options I can see at the minute are digiweb metro and vodafone (seeing as I'd like to get unlimited anytime national calls as well). Any information on the contention ratio/reliability of these providers?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hey guys
    Moving into a new rented apartment in Limerick, so I don't think I can install a new phone line / cables etc (There is no existing phone line). If so I guess midband is my only option left? :( UPC told me they only do digital Tv and not broadband in the area.

If UPC are advising you they can't [provide in your area and you then that rules them out, after that you need to find out/decided if your willing to install a telephone line.

If you are perhaps Smart coulld be an option, if you can find out a neighbours telephone number you can check it against the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Lads , I'm looking to get a new ISP fast and reliable for a ps3 and apple tv not at the same time.I use sky as my tv provider. Dont want a phone line or a download limit I'm in Dublin.I'm with Irish broadband 2mb download it's doing my head in at the minuate too slow price about €40 a month.I'm thinking about UPC 15 Mbps suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Hi, just wondering are there any speed checkers available for Ireland to see what a phone line can potentially handle? Or would someone be able to hazard a guess with the below stats?

At the moment we're with Perlico. The router stats are;
    Downstream: 1024 kbit/s, upstream: 128 kbit/s.
    Output Power Down: 7.5 dBm, Up: 1.5 dBm.
    Line Attenuation Down: 21.0 dB, Up: 10.0 dB.
    SNR Margin Down: 30.5 dB, Up: 26.0 dB.

Straight line distance to exchange is 2km, cable length is probably around 2.2km.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Drumsna in Leitrim. Does anyone know if of any decent service there.
    Midband or broadband. Anything really.
    A friend is stuck up there with nothing more than dial up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

PandyAndy wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering are there any speed checkers available for Ireland to see what a phone line can potentially handle? Or would someone be able to hazard a guess with the below stats?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

So what's the general opinion on Vodafone's DSL service? From what I can see they have the most generous usage limits, but I've heard one or two bad things about them. Anyone care to help me make a decision?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Mo14 wrote: »
    So what's the general opinion on Vodafone's DSL service? From what I can see they have the most generous usage limits, but I've heard one or two bad things about them. Anyone care to help me make a decision?

I've been with Vodafone for a couple of years now, haven't found a better service.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭da4i's

Hi lads,

Just wondering if anyone knows what the better package would be from UTV: NGB or Plus Unlimited?

I know the NGB is 0 contention ratio, but from what i've seen, NGB is a load of rubbish. So would i be better off with Plus Unlimited (12:1 contention) ?

Thanks for all input with this,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

looking for a cheap , reliable broadband provider in drogheda any suggestions ?

UPC does not provide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 insertgirder

Does anybody here on boards have upc broadband in monkstown south county dublin?

And if so in what areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Does anybody here on boards have upc broadband in monkstown south county dublin?

And if so in what areas?

was living in sallynoggin , had upc , service was good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Anybody have Imagine WiMax in Clane Co. Kildare? If so what do ye think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 amylouise82

Can anyone recommend a a wireless broadband for Chapelizod that doesnt require a land line? Hoped to get a package for tv & internet with Upc but they are not in this area yet :mad:
    Or does anyone have experience of Wimax/imagine broadband? I know they are available in this area but just not sure if they are good!:confused:
    Use internet for downloading & streaming mainly....
    All advice appreciated:)
    Thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Thou

Can any broadband users in the Fermoy North Cork area provide information on Eircom, Imagine, or Magnet services in the region.

Any help or information provided is much appreciated.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

Don't know where else to post this but does anyone know when UPC are going to be available in the West? Eircom are way too expensive and were charging us massive bills on calls we didn't even make!! So there out the window, we have o2 now but It's not great sometimes:( we have upc tv they just need to get fibre power bb here !

Advertisement