Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Big Spiders.. Merged

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Benito

I'm going to bed soon but, I'm so glad I found this thread. Hung around the politics place for a while but, I have never laughed so much reading the posts here. Don't let this thread die pleeeeease! I'll be back to read more and maybe post some spider pics, if I can find them. This is the best thread on a forum I've ever found. THANKS ALL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭WhodahWoodah

I cleared out my mum's shed last year. It was the first time it was cleared out in 15 years. When I took everything oitthere were about a million spiders of all shapes and sizes and tons of webs. There was nothing else for it. My brother and I got two cans of his deodourant and a lighter and just napalmed the whole lot! Then a good sweep and job oxo. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

Had a massive one in the bedroom last night, was about 3 inches long with thick legs and it was brown. Looked like something you'd see in a field. Was alone and scared s@@t so I sent the cat after it and she enjoyed her midnight snack.:D

Did anyone else watch Arachnophobia tonight? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Trotter wrote: »
    Here's the lad now.. just before he got a puck of hello magazine. image022eu2.jpg
    Jekers seen some big ones in the house but that one is uber gross! Prob. A girl though? In fairness they kill off flies etc. Fek those could kill your hamster (ok slight exaggeration) yuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

I think they are called "wolf" spiders (could be wrong) but heard of them last year then started seeing the gits all over my house. they are fast too hard to catch. They usually die out in around a month or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Keifer

My 5 yr old daughter came into myself and my wife in the sitting room the other evening and said 'look Daddy, the poor thing' and hands me a Giant House Spider almost the size of our hand. My Wife has not responded to any stimuli since then. Have to admit I was quite shocked myself. I quickly walked my daughter, spider in hand to the front door and promptly discarded out the front door. (The Spider that is) Poor Wife, she'll never be the same again.

:eek:

Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

This was in the house the other day.. I only seen this topic now.. I couldn't take anymore pic's as the G/F was going mental.. This was the biggest Spider i've seen in Ireland.. View Image at 100% to get Full Effect !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

NeVeR wrote: »
    This was in the house the other day.. I only seen this topic now.. I couldn't take anymore pic's as the G/F was going mental.. This was the biggest Spider i've seen in Ireland.. View Image at 100% to get Full Effect !!

fúckin hell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I Feckin hate spiders but also dont like killing them so the girlfriend does it! How maly!
    2 years ago there was one of those huge MoFo's in our bath and he couldn't get out, i wouldn't kill him and she wasn't around. I left him there for a week and he was still alive. At this stage i was feeling sorry for him starving to death. I made3 a conscious decision to get over my fear and lift this guy out and put him out the window. I stood for an hour looking at him and eventually bit the bullet, it was a crazy feeling, terror and adrenaline. When it was over i was shaking for ages, i eventually calmed down and decided to go to bed. Slightly chuffed with myself. When i pulled the blinds one of the fooker fell out of it and landed on my arm. I shat myself. Needless to say my fear is now worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Any one else notice that daddy long legs are eating these guys? Man for a small spider they sure got balls to go after the giant house spider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Guill wrote: »
    I Feckin hate spiders but also dont like killing them so the girlfriend does it! How maly!
    2 years ago there was one of those huge MoFo's in our bath and he couldn't get out, i wouldn't kill him and she wasn't around. I left him there for a week and he was still alive. At this stage i was feeling sorry for him starving to death. I made3 a conscious decision to get over my fear and lift this guy out and put him out the window. I stood for an hour looking at him and eventually bit the bullet, it was a crazy feeling, terror and adrenaline. When it was over i was shaking for ages, i eventually calmed down and decided to go to bed. Slightly chuffed with myself. When i pulled the blinds one of the fooker fell out of it and landed on my arm. I shat myself. Needless to say my fear is now worse.

Sorry. But that's hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

quad_red wrote: »
    Sorry. But that's hilarious :D

I know, and after i calmed down, moved my bed to the spare room and checked every nook and cranny, i made the huge mistake of telling a friend about it, to this day i still here the story about the spider i threw out the window. It got angry cause i did, crawled in the bedroom window and waited for me. It seemingly then jumped out on me and shouted "thats what ya get for throwing me out the window!" seemingly the spider is still laughing at me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Benito

Like I posted earlier, I hope this thread goes on and on and, I like spiders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭louise-x

I really regret reading this thread now... the size of some of the spiders in the pics *shudder*
    I'm looking all around the room now just to make sure there's no spiders around, i'm so paranoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Hee hee, you Irish scare easily.

I found a Huntsman in my bath towel once.

huntsman.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Thanks man, no sleep for me tonight dreaming of that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

seen this out the back garden today, anyone know what it is?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=129152&d=1285670276

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

subway wrote: »
    seen this out the back garden today, anyone know what it is?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=129152&d=1285670276

I was gonna post this up too! Big huge arses on them!:D

I've a few of them around the house. Outside though thank christ! I don't mind spiders but these lads are a bit too big to be wandering around the bedroom):p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

They're regular, run of the mill garden spiders. Identifiable by the design on their bulbous bit that looks a bit like the Cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

thanks, thats what i thought it was, the "spikes" on its legs are what caught my eye when i saw it earlier.
    do you know what they are about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I dunno what they're about, all I know is I'm not going next to near one except to try kill it because it's invaded my personal space :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Goodsharing

I have found quite a number of large black beetles in the house over the past few weeks about 1-2 inches long...is anyone else having this problem...any tips on how to get rid of the little beggars??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Jumpy wrote: »
    Hee hee, you Irish scare easily.

I found a Huntsman in my bath towel once.

huntsman.JPG

This picture is downright shocking. Is this in Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭davepatr07

Agony after spider bites trouser snake
    By Martin Johnston
    4:00 AM Friday May 14, 2010

A tourist suffered heart inflammation after being bitten on the penis apparently by a katipo spider, following a skinny-dip in Northland.

The 22-year-old Canadian left his clothes in the sand dunes while he went for a nude swim and slept on his return, according to a report on the case in today's online NZ Medical Journal. "He woke to find his penis swollen and painful with a red mark on the shaft suggestive of a bite. He rapidly developed generalised muscle pains, fever, headache, photophobia [light sensitivity] and vomiting," writes Dr Nigel Harrison, of Whangarei Hospital, and colleagues.

"It was a rather nasty, ill-placed bite," Dr Harrison told the Herald yesterday.

Alleged spider bites were the cause of 20,000 claims to the Accident Compensation Corporation in 2005-06, a separate report in the journal says.

By the time the Canadian reached Dargaville Hospital, his penis was severely swollen, his blood pressure was up and his heart beat racing.

Chest pain and other symptoms developed the next morning and it was presumed he had been bitten by a katipo. He was treated with antivenom medicine sent from Whangarei Hospital and rapidly improved.

However heart problems persisted and he was treated at Whangarei Hospital and Auckland Hospital before returning to Canada.

"He was discharged after a total of 16 days in hospital. On review he was generally well," the journal report says.

It is the first known case of myocarditis - heart inflammation - following a katipo spider bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I have found quite a number of large black beetles in the house over the past few weeks about 1-2 inches long...is anyone else having this problem...any tips on how to get rid of the little beggars??

Do they have shiny backs on them or are the matt. I have caught a few of these chaps in the house lately 8-13-03_green-beetle.jpgthink they are just wondering in may have something to do with the cold perhaps...

There are also these chaps
    black-vine-weevil-adult.jpg

which if you have any plants be sure to get rid of them, they will eat them all chomp chomp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭notonlybutalso

Trotter wrote: »
    Here's the lad now.. just before he got a puck of hello magazine.

image022eu2.jpg

I saw this picture on facebook! Big dirty bastard i'd say hello mag was only fit for the bin aftewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Here's one of the lads that has a web covering half of the outside of my hall window

wolfgang.jpg

I've named him Wolfgang :D

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Gunnerkid

caught this guy in the house and killed him

98sxfq.jpg&t=1

does anyone know what type it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

why the hell did i come in here.. :(

if i seen anything remotely like the last pic i can honestly say i would faint. *shudders*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Aruba08

Gunnerkid wrote: »
    caught this guy in the house and killed him

98sxfq.jpg&t=1

does anyone know what type it is

look at the flippin head on him!! that is by far the most frightening picture here:eek:

Advertisement