Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barretstown

• 14-01-2009 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi all

I am just wondering has anyone here ever volunteered with barretstown?

I have wanted to volunteer with them for a long time and I have decided that will definitely go for it this year.

The application process seems to be very long and I'm wondering if anyone would be able to let me know what the process is like?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank You:D

Ms_N

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

Hiya, fair play to you for wanting to volunteer in Barrettstown- I've been thinking of it for years myself but didn't feel "qualified" due to the lengthy, indepth application form!
    As it's such an important role, I know the process is quite lengthy but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end. I'd imagine the paperwork is the hardest part- so persevere, I'm sure it's something that will change your life.

Good luck.

Beannacht,

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Hello there,

Last year I volunteered for 20 days, and this year shall be hopefully doing so again. Hopefully for the whole summer this year!

It is one of the best experiences you will ever have, and the effect you have on the campers is right there in front of your eyes. Best of all you don't have to travel to some far-off place to do it. Us Irish people don't know how lucky we are to have Barretstown in our country, it truly is a national treasure.

I know getting the references etc. is poxy but it is so worth it. You then have a telephone interview but it's not too bad. The girls that do the interview are really nice and great craic too! Feel free to PM me if you need any further advice/questions answered. Hopefully I'll see you there in the summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 murphylo

hi there,

im just wondering whats involved in the telephone interview? what kind of questions do they ask you etc. do you know if they interview everyone or whittle it down from the applications?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Ms_Nightengale

Hi all

Thanks for the replies...I ended up sending in my application form and all but then hit a brick wall when tried to book time off from college to actually go and volunteer...am doing nursing and we don't finish until september and thats too late...so It'll have to be next year..I'll get there eventually:)

And lilly I really don't think you should feel under qualified..I think all thats really needed is a positive attitude and a willingness to engage in some "serious fun":)..go for it!

Thanks again for the replies

Peace
    Ms_Nightengale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sean_17

How can I apply to be a camper?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Ms_Nightengale

Hi sean..I think that to be a camper you have to be nominated by staff in hospital for the programme..so maybe you could talk to nurses or docs that may be working with you?..or you could ring barretstown and check what the procedure is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I've done two weekends volunteering in Barretstown. I loved every minute of it - it was so rewarding and I'd go back in a flash.

If you are having trouble getting time off you could always do some of the weekends. The ones I did were family weekends where the whole family (parents and any siblings) goes for the weekend and they all do the activities etc. I only had to take the friday off work to go (although Monday morning you'd be very tired!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

well done to everyone volunteering!!

My sister went to barretstown a good bit when she was sick, and i went along for one of the family camps. Amazing place, and the volunteers who were assigned us really made an amazing difference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

<From the Volunteerism forum>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Here's how to go about volunteering with Barretstown "Serious Fun".
    Childcare volunteers.
    Medical volunteers.
    Corporate link ups.
    Volunteer Drivers
    Administration and other indirect ways to contribute to this worthy cause.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Lucy211

Could anyone give any further information about this programme? Is it residential and do you have to stay? Do you organise activitites all day? Is there a canteen and do you share a room with other volunteers etc? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stickzndstonez

hi guys,

I have just sent off my application for barretestown and I am really nervous that I wont get in. I have been meaning to do this for a while but I was wondering do they always do telephones interviews or do they just select a few from the applications.

Advertisement