Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The models appear to be more in agreement with dropping that dartboard low down across Ireland from Thursday for possibly a fairly cool and unsettled few days with rain or showers. Temperatures should begin to recover from next Sunday and hopefully more in the way of sunshine.

There is still enough time for this dartboard low to miss Ireland entirely which is what happened to yesterdays very wet weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Another cloudless beautiful day, out of the breeze it feels nice and hot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Clouds dissipating in cork city now. Blue skies and sun returning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Another cloudless beautiful day, out of the breeze it feels nice and hot

Ah going a bit over the top there with ‘hot’ TM but yes it is a stunning day out there. Incredible last few days in Dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another beautiful day here in Meath too although considering how sunny it is, temperatures are on the low side with those northerly winds. Currently 17C.

The rest of today looks mostly sunny but tonight could be fairly chilly with temperatures getting down to 2 or 3C in places.

Tomorrow will be alot more cloudy than today in general but eastern areas may get some sunny spells tomorrow in the morning and early afternoon before cloud takes over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

Twas a grey windy cool start to the day here in Cork City but its beautiful now.. blue skies and sunshine.. still windy but warm..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

esposito wrote: »
    Ah going a bit over the top there with ‘hot’ TM but yes it is a stunning day out there. Incredible last few days in Dublin.

Out of the wind in my back garden starts to feel hot after a while! But yes there's a cool breeze out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

fvp4 wrote: »
    Is the temperature for the year colder than average in Ireland? I assume Spring definitely was cool.

Just to add to Gonzo's reply, we are running very close to or just a little below (0.2c) the long term average on the broader national level.

gQQdYk8.png

And would say if we were comparing the same data to the earlier 1961-1991 average, we would probably be running a little warmer.

Data sourced from Met Eireann.

New Moon

Today, despite the all too fleeting sunshine, looks and feels more like a fine day in mid-April than the summer solstice. Lovely day out and is most welcome, but that wind takes some of the comfort out of it. Yesterday, despite the heavy cloud cover, was warmer with temps reaching 20c.

New Moon

yep today feels definitely more chilly than yesterday. While it is fairly sunny, once the sun goes behind a cloud even just for a minute you really notice that chill especially with that stuff breeze.

Once we get tonight out of the way we should be hopefully on a warming trend from tomorrow but it still remains to be seen how that low will affect us from Thursday evening into Saturday. It does appear that from Sunday into next week could be significantly warmer with temperatures more in the 18 to 23C range rather than the 14 to 18C range we are in currently.

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Just to add to Gonzo's reply, we are running very close to or just a little below (0.2c) the long term average on the broader national level.

gQQdYk8.png

And would say if we were comparing the same data to the earlier 1961-1991 average, we would probably be running a little warmer.

Data sourced from Met Eireann.

Thats odd, I would have thought that most weeks were below average temperatures, except the winter which wasn't that cold. And yet there it looks like we over compensated for a cold winter with a warm spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

Gloooooorious day here in Cork woo hoo... off to the park for a walk with buddies in the warm sunshine - and there's a nice breeze which I actually like :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thats odd, I would have thought that most weeks were below average temperatures, except the winter which wasn't that cold. And yet there it looks like we over compensated for a cold winter with a warm spring.

January was well below average. February and March above. April and May below again. June is running a degree above average. Overall we're roughly 0.2c above the 61-90 averages here in South Laois. Rainfall is below average too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I seen a weird bright thing in the sky today. Played hide and seek behind the clouds on and off all day. Still great to see some of it. Shining at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Cool and windy in Letterkenny, mostly overcast all day but some patches of blue finally starting to appear. Would echo oneiric in that it feels more like April than mid summer but sure I'll take it

GFS 12z is rolling out and if it verifies we could be in for a very autumnal weekend with plenty of rain and temperatures struggling in the low to mid teens, particularly in Leinster/Ulster and once it clears we remain in a fairly cool and unsettled airflow. I really hope this does not verify.

The very dry outlook is now starting to look the complete opposite.

234-777UK.GIF?21-12

Will check later on if this is a cold outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

God. That's bleak.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    God. That's bleak.

That's why I've been monitoring this plunging dartboard low very carefully. They are nasty little systems that can completely change the weather pattern for weeks afterwards. We are very close to some lovely warm weather but it could be a bust if this low mucks things up from this weekend and allowing the Atlantic to properly break through.

I'm guessing todays GFS 12z is a worst case scenario outcome.

The UKMO brings down this low but it doesn't look nearly as unsettled and we revert to warm and dry weather from Sunday.

GEM brings in the low as well and keeps us generally average temperatures after it.

This mornings ECM keeps us warm, high and dry over the weekend and into next week. Latest ECM should be rolling out soon, hope it doesn't reflect the GFS 12z.

I should have explained that chart better. It is the accumulated mean from January first for any particular data point on the chart.

This one may be easier to read. 7 day running anomaly since January 7th up to yesterday. Pretty much an equal share of warm weeks (compared to the average) and cooler ones. In fact, the weight of this 7 day running data actual brings the yearly anomaly so far pretty much to bang on zero.

Y8A5Xyh.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Could do with a couple of days rain. The grass is really burning up from this dry spell. To my eye, early next week could produce some storms from France/Biscay direction but it's a long way off to predict anything with certainty that far out. Glorious sunshine today but it was feeling very fresh in that wind earlier on.

• Advertisement

ECM now also going for the dartboard low over Ireland from Friday evening into Saturday but from Sunday temperatures recover and we become fairly settled into next week and staying warm.

ECMOPUK12_96_2.png

ECMOPUK12_96_34.png

ECMOPUK12_168_2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Probably the best day we have had in Castlebar since the 30th of May, it only got up to 14C but we had some lovely spells of sunshine today and currently a nice bright evening.

Sure it's only Gorgeous again this evening here

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1407072239191838727?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Grand stretch in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Grand stretch in the evenings.

It’s all down hill from tomorrow

bazermc wrote: »
    It’s all down hill from tomorrow

I wouldn't write off the weekend just yet. Still 3 days to go before we know the exact track of that low. It could still miss us entirely like yesterday's low pressure which vanished far to our south and we ended up with blue skies all day.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I wouldn't write off the weekend just yet. Still 3 days to go before we know the exact track of that low. It could still miss us entirely like yesterday's low pressure which vanished far to our south and we ended up with blue skies all day.

Until then, you'd be as well off to stick with the mean charts to get a sense of trend.

dcQJHE8.png

Could be better or worse than this for example but all in all, it appears that it will be only a temporary blip with high pressure building in (most probably from the west) again for next week.

On another note, while it has turned out to be a beautiful summer's evening, it feels just a bit on the nippy side for this time of the evening for this time of the year.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

June 21st 11pm

Mount Dillon just 5 degrees

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Gonzo wrote: »
    ECM now also going for the dartboard low over Ireland from Friday evening into Saturday but from Sunday temperatures recover and we become fairly settled into next week and staying warm.

I'm a bit puzzled Gonzo but what is a dartboard low and where is it on the charts, cant see anything notable or deep? ECM showing pressure staying over 1020 hPa in general from Thurs to Sunday and in general more under the influence of High Pressure out to +240 hrs and is showing nothing like the rainfall that the 12Z GFS was showing thankfully, GFS 18Z rolling out and showing far less rainfall now but still more than the ECM.

Looks like becoming wet in most places on Thurs but in general fairly dry after that , maybe some showers in the East of the country on Fri, cooler all right Thurs and Fri and picking up a small bit again for the weekend, ECM looking promising from the weekend with Temps climbing, GFS not as warm but that is probably better for the FI thread.

rNYknmp.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Not far off daylight to the north just before midnight, the long evenings are one of the few benefits of summer in Donegal!

IMG-20210621-234714.jpg

Advertisement