Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Call

• 15-06-2021 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Just got a fake call from a number that showed up as 087 *** 4586 (I've deleted the first three digits because they are the same as my number so if your number begins 123, you might get a call from a number that appears to have the same first three numbers as yours) purporting to be from an Garda Siochana, threatening to cancel my PPS number. Good luck with that one lads....

Anyhow, just in case anybody else gets a call from an unrecognised number, just reject the call. If it's genuine, I dare say they'll call again. If not, more likely they'll just try somebody else.

E.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I don't reject a call because I do not recognise the calling number.
    I can easily hang up if it is an undesirable call.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I got two of them yesterday. I laughed and told them to f..k off.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

These calls are becoming rather irritating. I’ve actually decided that I might as well get rid of my landline number because of them.

If the telecoms companies don’t start doing something to filter them, I could see calls going mostly to FaceTime and WhatsApp, where at least you can verify to some degree who’s getting though to you.

I’d say give it 5 years and making voice calls though the telephone infrastructure will be much less common, much like IM has replaced text messages and certainly short emails.

These calls are becoming rather irritating. I’ve actually decided that I might as well get rid of my landline number because of them.

If the telecoms companies don’t start doing something to filter them, I could see calls going mostly to FaceTime and WhatsApp, where at least you can verify to some degree who’s getting though to you.

I’d say give it 5 years and making voice calls though the telephone infrastructure will be much less common, much like IM has replaced text messages and certainly short emails.

Strange I do not get such calls to my 'landline' number to any degree.
    I have vague recollection of putting the number on some list to help reduce such calls - many years ago! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I just got one on my mobile from a mobile number that was 089 xxx 6668 - yes the xxx is the same three numbers as my own number.

I don't know how they expect to take anyone in, synthetic female voice with an American accent 'Hello this call is from Garda Shee-hawna (it sounded all wrong) we have'.... as I rang off.

Ages since I got a spoof call, I wonder what the significance of the matching numbers is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

i also had one today - same 6 digits at the start ....however, it was from a guy who said he missed my call.
    He introduced himself and upon asking he told me where he worked and all, i told him i never rang, nor would i have a need for his services I have no idea how or why he got a missed call from me! Very strange.

I’m getting up to 9 a day to the landline number, which is VoIP these days. They can talk to the Fritz Box voicemail. I’m not taking any more calls, as hardly anyone rings my landline anyway. I think I’ve received maybe 2 real calls on it in the last 12 months.

So I’ll be closing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I'm after getting 3 of them today.
    087 xxx5586
    087 xxx4419
    087 xxx6215

Very annoying at this stage. So obviously fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Just got another, purportedly from XXX 4601 which I rejected. Both numbers now in blocked list.

I'm kinda surprised that the Telecommunications Regulator hasn't got a better handle on this - presumably, all of these calls are coming from the same source.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭65535

I’m getting up to 9 a day to the landline number, which is VoIP these days. They can talk to the Fritz Box voicemail. I’m not taking any more calls, as hardly anyone rings my landline anyway. I think I’ve received maybe 2 real calls on it in the last 12 months.

So I’ll be closing it.

Add a VoIP circuit yourself and divert those calls to "lenny"
    Details at

http://192.34.63.107/

Some samples on YouTube - search for Lenny

• Advertisement

65535 wrote: »
    Add a VoIP circuit yourself and divert those calls to "lenny"
    Details at

http://192.34.63.107/

Some samples on YouTube - search for Lenny

I tried ringing Lenny, but he would not say anything to me ....... most frustrating!

sip:lenny@lenny.voiceopia.net

Very disappointed :(

I did spend a little time listening to other calls though ...

http://192.34.63.107/audio/

I’d a call from someone in Ireland who missed a call from me and had a very similar number.

I think they received a call from a faked caller ID that was using my number.

This stuff is getting very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭65535

I tried ringing Lenny, but he would not say anything to me ....... most frustrating!

If you even make a noise he then assumes that you have answered him and he goes on to the next part of his conversation !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

65535 wrote: »
    If you even make a noise he then assumes that you have answered him and he goes on to the next part of his conversation !

Much the same as making a noise at the pub bore, so quite realistic.

Lenny scripts are wirtten to to interact with a sales pitch from a pushy call centre agent, not a random caller.

It won't work as well with someone just calling it to say hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

It seems some genuine calls are getting routed to lenny....
    Here's one example from kbc bank.

There were a number of calls also from an isp who were responding to alerts relating to proactive alarms.

It seems some genuine calls are getting routed to lenny....
    Here's one example from kbc bank.

There were a number of calls also from an isp who were responding to alerts relating to proactive alarms.

Yes I heard several from KBC.ie ....... really surprising how callers do not 'cop on'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Got a call today from 085782691

A fake number which can't be called back. Looks like an 085 Irish mobile number at first, but it has 9 digits instead of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

I got three of these yesterday I'm 089 and the three calls were 089 followed by three digits same as my own number; then random numbers after that;
    All three calls had different numbers after the prefix and first three digits,

I put my phone in to flight mode then; as nobody uses my number to call directly;
    I mainly use the phone for WhatsApp messenger and internet; I don't use Facebook or have many friends, work six days per week in the pharmaceutical industry and spend time off with family.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I've got a good few lately. Some are like irish numbers but with an extra digit. Answered one yesterday innocently and got an automated voice about a €700 refund from ebay, hung straight up and number blocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Mav11

Got one just now from an 087 number, "Dept of Social Protection" they said. I just hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tr_18

Got a 1 second phone call from Azerbaijan this morning. Operator must have noticed they forgot to reroute through an 'Irish' number and hung up ASAP.
    +994662183333

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Be right back

Got three calls from 3 087 numbers over the last 3 days. I didn't answer any. No voice mail left. So numbers are blocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Mav11

And another one just now!!

Airplane mode usually switches off all radio signals except Bluetooth. So WhatsApp won’t work.

If you want to just switch off all calls use the silence unknown numbers options on your phone or divert to your voicemail **21* 08X 5 XXX XXXX #

To cancel #21#

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Be right back

Got three calls from 3 087 numbers over the last 3 days. I didn't answer any. No voice mail left. So numbers are blocked!

And again! Would they just p off?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

And again! Would they just p off?!

They are using autodialers....
    they wont P off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

i also had one today - same 6 digits at the start ....however, it was from a guy who said he missed my call.
    He introduced himself and upon asking he told me where he worked and all, i told him i never rang, nor would i have a need for his services I have no idea how or why he got a missed call from me! Very strange.

I got one of those today! has someone hacked the telephone system?

tphase wrote: »
    Airplane mode turns off all radio signals including bluetooth.

However you can turn on both wifi and bluetooth after you've switched to airplane mode, the phone radio will remain off

It doesn't actually. On many phones, notably Apple, it leaves Bluetooth on.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204234

Most modern headphones are Bluetooth and the radio signals involved are too low powered to be of concern to aircraft systems. The issue is more about relatively much stronger UHF & GHz frequencies from mobiles for connecting to cellular towers.

iPhones will only turn Bluetooth off in Airplane mode if it is it's manually done & then remember that in future. The default airplane mode leaves it on.

Changes happened when phones stopped shipping with headphone jacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Somehow I've started to get these calls lately.

The numbers I've been getting calls from are trying to look like Bank Of Ireland.

When the phone rings my phone displays the number as 0353766801772.

I never answer and always decline and when i get e text to say I've missed a call, it displays the number as 076 680 1772. Very feckin crafty and would catch out an older person every time.

Advertisement