Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best router

• 24-11-2020 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi ive been looking into buying a new router and was hoping someone might be able to recommend which is best to get. Modem/Router is preferable but not necessary.

I was looking at the

tp link archer vr2100
    Tp link archer c2300
    NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 Smart
    WAVLINK AC3000 Tri-Band

Any information would be great,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭swoofer

Look at this one and do a google for best router.

ASUS RT-AC86U Wi-Fi AC2900 (AI Mesh USB 3.0 Router, AiProtection by Trend Micro, AI Mesh, WTFast Game Accelerator Adaptive QoS, Dual-WAN 3G/4G

I like ASUS

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Timfy

Far be it for me to dismiss anyones opinion but I have always been unlucky with ASUS routers. I am out in the sticks and mains power isn't the best with fluctuations and frequent drop outs and the ASUS products that I have used don't seem very happy with that!

The Archer C2300 is a solid little workhorse, easily configurable and my goto router of choice when doing domestic and small office installs. I have used somewhere in the range of 25-30 of them and had not one complaint or issue reported from clients.

NetGear stuff used to be the bee's knees but the range seems all a bit "gimmicky" now.

After saying that I tend to stick to the TP link Archer series now, my primary advice is don't shop by price or brand... there are many crap big name expensive routers out there and many good quality no name boxes at a quarter the price, often sharing chipsets and OS's of their more well known cousins.

Make out a feature list that you require... USB 3 is nice but do you need it if it's only going to act as a print server? Mesh connectivity is only any good if you purchase the same brand gear (usually at inflated prices). 4G dual connectivity is a godsend out here in the West where rural broadband falls over all the time but do you need it in town?

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

The thing to remember with modem/routers is that as soon as manufacturers move onto newer models they tend to drop support and updates for 'older' devices. Unless you get into using 3rd party firmware you will find that you could be leaving your router exposed as security patches stop being updated.

• Site Banned Posts: 47 Saralace

Look at huwaii router ax3 pro from aliexpress
    There's different versions so read up about it as the Chinese version that needs to be set up with google translate it's wifi 6 the Chinese version is faster than other versions they have a non pro version which will be a bit slower it's about 60 dollars for the pro and 45 for non pro

Apart from huwaii

Watch out for Chinese brands as some have back doors and run malaware I was looking at a good one that provided full signal to every device but it's software was not updated and could be taken over by bots

When installing any router change the admin name and password

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Timfy

tphase wrote: »
    invest in a UPS!

O/T
    Personally I have a UPS in the corner of the office that is making the floorboards sag!!!

I recommend them to everyone, especially now they have come down in price and size.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Keep whatever modem you have now and invest in a Ubiquiti Wireless Access Point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Great value UPS that is quite light. I have my modem, switch, VOIP phone, and AP plugged in and they will run for around 40 mins during a power outage.

Riello 800VA Stand Alone UPS Uninterruptible Power Supply, 230V Output, 480W - Line Interactive, Offline

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭John Electrician33

Hi - I have a basic router - wifi signal is not great at other end of house - ideally would love to have good wifi signal in back garden.
    Should I get a good router like Netgear or Tp Link or Asus or should i get a 3 pack of Deco Tp link M5?
    Good router or Mesh extender????

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Hi - I have a basic router - wifi signal is not great at other end of house - ideally would love to have good wifi signal in back garden.
    Should I get a good router like Netgear or Tp Link or Asus or should i get a 3 pack of Deco Tp link M5?
    Good router or Mesh extender????

Thanks
    Don't try to cover whole house and garden with WiFi from main router. Add ad many WiFi access points as you require. Ubiquiti Unifi have a range of devices, including an outdoor AP which ideally you would wire out on Cat6. Turn off WiFi in your existing router, and let all APs work on same SSID to provide seamless coverage. You could also use TPLink M5s, but shooting WiFi through A-rated windows is not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭65535

I use the Fritz Box in mesh mode - great WiFi coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Half decent router with decent mesh WiFi. You are welcome.

Advertisement