Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boost in-house Phone Reception

• 09-06-2021 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭

The house has miserable mobile phone service. To use a mobile phone reliably requires a visit to the great outdoors!

There will be a temporary requirement for a full phone service in house (hopefully - as a result of a medical procedure ) sometime in the coming months - depending on a lot of things outside our control.

What might be the most cost effective method these days of achieving the goal?
    The house is well separated from neighbours as it is on its own site outside a built up area, so am not very concerned about interference.
    It also has foil-backed insulation.

Suggestions welcome ...... but cost is a big factor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

The house has miserable mobile phone service. To use a mobile phone reliably requires a visit to the great outdoors!

There will be a temporary requirement for a full phone service in house (hopefully - as a result of a medical procedure ) sometime in the coming months - depending on a lot of things outside our control.

What might be the most cost effective method these days of achieving the goal?
    The house is well separated from neighbours as it is on its own site outside a built up area, so am not very concerned about interference.

Suggestions welcome ...... but cost is a big factor.
    If you have good WiFi inside the house, use WiFi-calling. You will need a handset with the WiFi calling feature supported by your carrier (most recent smart phones have it). You will also need a plan from a carrier that supports it. Eir/GoMo support full WiFi calling including both voice calls, texts and use while roaming. Vodafone has a limited version that doesnt do text, and doesn't work while roaming, on some plans only. WiFi Calling routes normal voice calls and texts over WiFi, when available, so you can create your own indoor coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If you have good WiFi inside the house, use WiFi-calling. You will need a handset with the WiFi calling feature supported by your carrier (most recent smart phones have it). You will also need a plan from a carrier that supports it. Eir/GoMo support full WiFi calling including both voice calls, texts and use while roaming. Vodafone has a limited version that doesnt do text, and doesn't work while roaming, on some plans only. WiFi Calling routes normal voice calls and texts over WiFi, when available, so you can create your own indoor coverage.

I like that idea.
    I have no idea what phone they have or its capabilities, so will need to check that - a used phone received from a relative.
    The previous phone definitely did not have that capability.

Thanks for that suggestion ...... I will check out the phone.

It appears that WiFi calling is not available to GoMo customers on the older packages ...... €9.99 and €12.99 per month.
    They say they will provide it to older customers 'over the coming months' - whatever that might mean.
    Worth watching to see who moves soonest ...... the medical people or Eir/GoMo.
    I would not care to bet on either :(

I guess a second SIM from GoMo for a couple of months recovery might suffice ....... which raises a question .....

Is it possible to have the same phone number on two GoMo SIMs at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Is it possible to have the same phone number on two GoMo SIMs at the same time?
    I suspect not...

It all worked out in the end.

Used a VOIP account for making calls so that covered the absolute necessities, and a few text messages went through when the phone was carried to a reception spot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement