Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leap card taken.

• 18-06-2021 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Jobsworth on the DART stole my Leap card. I get many trains per week, and I assumed to be on the limit. Fair enough if it didn’t scan, my bad. I have my details for the fine but he was extremely aggressive and wouldn’t give back my card, which I needed for the route home and had a good amount on it. What is my position? I’m annoyed. He was defensive when I told him his behaviour was unlawful and I took a photo of him, and he was again defensive… which makes me think I’m right. Input appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

You didn’t scan your card or pay your fare. He has the evidence and you can’t ‘correct it’ and will be caught in all and any lies you tell.

T&C’s on card. Useful no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

"Stole" is a bit strong isn't it.

How can the person doing their job catching fare evaders steal something from you that is not yours, but belongs to the company he is an agent of.

"1.3 The TFI Leap Card is and remains the property of the Authority. 1.4 The Authority reserves the right to prevent the use of, or to withdraw the TFI Leap Card in accordance with section 16 below if it is improperly used or if it is used in a way that is not permitted by the Authority."

I think the word stole is being attributed to the wrong person here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

IngridM20 wrote: »
    Jobsworth .

I stopped taking you seriously here. Dont see the need for the insult

You didnt pay the fare. Hes doing his job. Get another card and pay your fare in future

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Jobsworth on the DART stole my Leap card. I get many trains per week, and I assumed to be on the limit. Fair enough if it didn’t scan, my bad. I have my details for the fine but he was extremely aggressive and wouldn’t give back my card, which I needed for the route home and had a good amount on it. What is my position? I’m annoyed. He was defensive when I told him his behaviour was unlawful and I took a photo of him, and he was again defensive… which makes me think I’m right. Input appreciated.

As you have registered your leap card then you can request a refund and get a new card so no loss to you.

Your post is garbled when you refer to a 'jobsworth' that 'Stole' your card. The only element that makes sense is that you appear to admit to an attempt to defraud Irish Rail by not tapping your leap card.

Amusing you told this 'jobsworth' his behaviour was unlawful and totally ignore your own unlawful behaviour...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

You were wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pay the fine move on.....

Appeal the fine, show you always pay if you do and say you tapped it but it mustn't have worked, ask for CCTV at the station.

Gdpr request.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Pay fine, get card back.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just to balance things out, I’m totally on your side Op*.

* not on op’s side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It’s hard to see how confiscation of a valid Leap card is required in respect of a “fare dodging” incident (which this may not be if the OP’s bona fides) are accepted. The appropriate sanction is the issue of a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Marcusm wrote: »
    It’s hard to see how confiscation of a valid Leap card is required in respect of a “fare dodging” incident (which this may not be if the OP’s bona fides) are accepted. The appropriate sanction is the issue of a penalty.
    Bona fides doesn't count with a strict liability offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

He was defensive when I told him his behaviour was unlawful and I took a photo of him

I’d have taken the phone off you as well…

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've a simple response to this, Grow Up!

You commence your rant with the discription of "Jobsworth", continue with admitting you breach the rules re scanning, adding you were annoyed but then finish by stating you took a photograph of said person, doing their Job, whilst asserting you are in the right????? just extraordinary you remained calm enough to post this sorry tale looking for advice.

Pathetic and you are wrong in every respect.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Victor wrote: »
    Bona fides doesn't count with a strict liability offence.

The penalty for the offence is a fine. If you read Leap Ts&Cs, there are limited cited circumstances for the retention of a Leap card, none of which apply here. The reference to “bona fides” was simply to their recitation of the events rather than any aspect of the offence.

kbell wrote: »

In which case IngridM20 would have been well advised to arrest you pending the arrival of the Gardai. Theft is an arrestable offence and you have no right to commit theft to avoid having a photo taken irrespective of how irritating the action was.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I've a simple response to this, Grow Up!

You commence your rant with the discription of "Jobsworth", continue with admitting you breach the rules re scanning, adding you were annoyed but then finish by stating you took a photograph of said person, doing their Job, whilst asserting you are in the right????? just extraordinary you remained calm enough to post this sorry tale looking for advice.

Pathetic and you are wrong in every respect.

This is Legal Discussion not Moralistic Discussion. I fail to see that the security guard acted within his authority in retaining the card. It is not theft as IngridM20 did not own it but she was discommoded. Her attitude may be irritating but the fine remains the appropriate punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

You got caught not paying for a service. Is that not theft?
    Yet you get upset over this and say they stole your leap card. I can see where the apparent theft is, and it is not of a leap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Leap isn’t issued by Irish Rail and it’s an electronic wallet used across multiple services.

You didn’t pay your fare, so you will be issued with a fine, but I don’t see what this has to do with your method of payment. Confiscating a card makes no sense, particularly as you didn’t use the card.

Your first step would be to make a calm and concise complaint to TFI.

customer.care@leapcard.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JRK1995

A lot of hypocrites in here. In their opinion, a potentially honest mistake as not tapping on (could be proven by her journey History) warrants the illegal confiscation of a leap card. As for the poster who said he'd take the phone as well......

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

JRK1995 wrote: »
    A lot of hypocrites in here. In their opinion, a potentially honest mistake as not tapping on (could be proven by her journey History) warrants the illegal confiscation of a leap card. As for the poster who said he'd take the phone as well......

what is illegal about the confiscation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

This is Legal Discussion not Moralistic Discussion. I fail to see that the security guard acted within his authority in retaining the card. It is not theft as IngridM20 did not own it but she was discommoded. Her attitude may be irritating but the fine remains the appropriate punishment.

The fare is €100 unless a person has paid a fare in advance. If a person is on the tram without paying a fare then the owe €100. The card has also been misused. Unless there was more than €100 on the card then no argument can be made about confiscating the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

This is getting ridiculous and like the trains and buses forum where people will quote the letter of the law allowing ticket checkers to confiscate your travel pass because CIE own it.

athlone573 wrote: »
    This is getting ridiculous and like the trains and buses forum where people will quote the letter of the law allowing ticket checkers to confiscate your travel pass because CIE own it.

this is the legal discussion forum. the letter of the law is pretty important. Especially when you have posters claiming things are illegal when they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

kbell wrote: »

If someone took my photo without my permission I’d be doing more than taking their card …

LillySV wrote: »
    If someone took my photo without my permission I’d be doing more than taking their card …
    anyone can take your photo if you are in a public place. Like it or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

anyone can take your photo if you are in a public place. Like it or not!

Without my permission ? So if I walk up to a woman wearing a short skirt tomoro on a public street and take pic and she says she doesn’t consent to the pic , do I say to her tough luck, she’s on a public street?

Without my permission ? So if I walk up to a woman wearing a short skirt tomoro on a public street and take pic and she says she doesn’t consent to the pic , do I say to her tough luck, she’s on a public street?
    I would be fairly sure of that, but as things change, I will leave your question for someone with better information, to answer.

that is pretty much it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

A little knowledge is frequently a dangerous thing.
    6.4 Confiscation: Iarnród Éireann, LUAS, Dublin Bus and other carriers may confiscate the card in the case of misuse. In the case of confiscation, the cardholders name may be placed on a stop list and a new card may not be issued for six months following confiscation and you will not receive a refund of any remaining Travel Credit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

JRK1995 wrote: »

I suspect that a more objective poster would have used the word "potentially" in front of the words "illegal confiscation" as well as in front of the words "honest mistake".

Advertisement