Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

school desk ink pot.

• 18-04-2019 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi all,i'm renovating two old cast iron frame and oak timber school desks I found under a pile of rubbish and oil drums at a small school where I work,i have the frame of one cleaned and the grime sanded off the timber I also gave the cleaned up pieces a coat of wax and they've come up a treat.the brass surround for the ink pot is complete but the pot is long gone. i'd love to get a hold of a genuine ink well but haven't a clue what they were made of,ae they made of glass,bakelite,plastic ?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MrTime

i think white glazed delph / porcelain / china ; as in typical cup or saucer

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

MrTime wrote: »
    i think white glazed delph / porcelain / china ; as in typical cup or saucer

I remember those but also a black bakelite inkwell with a narrow opening......

2-Black-Vintage-School-Desk-Inkwells-Plastic.jpg

The china inkwells had a wide mouth so evaporation was an issue as the sliding brass cover was not airtight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

There were still a few knocking around our school back in the 80s and they were the white "delph" type ones. They were fairly thick solid yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭glaswegian

There were still a few knocking around our school back in the 80s and they were the white "delph" type ones. They were fairly thick solid yokes.

Thanks all,anybody know where these can be got? I’ve seen a few online but they’re on English sites and the postage is off putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Use parcel motel. Then you can ship from UK to Belfast and pick up in Dublin. Fee is 3.90 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I have a desk that needs an inkwell and I've asked in every antique-shop or junk shop: they are not so easily found!

Eventually found a loose one in England and it didn't fit - the lip was too thick for the brass slider to fit over it.

Still on the lookout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Day Lewin wrote: »
    I have a desk that needs an inkwell and I've asked in every antique-shop or junk shop: they are not so easily found!

Eventually found a loose one in England and it didn't fit - the lip was too thick for the brass slider to fit over it.

Still on the lookout.
    Is it the little ceramic white school desk ones you want

Advertisement