Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

114 Days

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I had a rather unfortunate injury earlier this year. The Baroness and I went skiing in St Anton in Austria. The conditions were far from ideal. It was a poor season, but we had it booked. I decided to tackle one of the more notorious black runs, despite the Baroness pleading with me not to try it. It was a tough run. I made it to the bottom with an acknowledgment that the Baroness was correct in her protests - and with an excruciating injury that I now know was a torn groin muscle.

The weekend was ruined and the next few weeks found me in rather a lot of pain. Mindfulness, yoga and twice daily visits to the sauna in the apartment really did help. I'm over the worst of it now, but my 10k times still haven't returned to the extremely competitive times I was putting in last year. A positive mental attitude helps, Pighead.

Wish you well in your recuperation.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

So what's the scariest visit to a doctor you've had?

Will the most mortifying one do ya?

It started out badly when the doctor was male, as HSE guidelines stated that it is always done by a female. That threw me initially, but since I was a public patient and had been on the waiting list for months for it, thought 'meh'. Gender equality and all that.

This doctor was very good-looking. This was initally a pleasing distraction, but quickly became a source of discomfort once I remembered this doctor would be shortly poking around my rather unkempt nethers.

Alas, Dr. Gorgeous also had the skill of a turnip, so what should have been a a quick and discreet insertion of a catheter into my innards via my lady parts became a long and protracted rummage, involving several bright lights warming my arse, stirrups, forceps-types yokes and lots of poking the end of the catherter in the approximate direction of my cervix. Which was bloody sore.

This type of procedure is supposed to take no longer than 10 mins. My one took so long that the nurse holding my hand was getting tired on her feet and fetched a chair for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I had a rather unfortunate injury earlier this year. The Baroness and I went skiing in St Anton in Austria. The conditions were far from ideal. It was a poor season, but we had it booked. I decided to tackle one of the more notorious black runs, despite the Baroness pleading with me not to try it. It was a tough run. I made it to the bottom with an acknowledgment that the Baroness was correct in her protests - and with an excruciating injury that I now know was a torn groin muscle.

The weekend was ruined and the next few weeks found me in rather a lot of pain. Mindfulness, yoga and twice daily visits to the sauna in the apartment really did help. I'm over the worst of it now, but my 10k times still haven't returned to the extremely competitive times I was putting in last year. A positive mental attitude helps, Pighead.

Pighead suffered his break from a sports injury as well so he feels your pain. Breaking a bone in the pursuit of greatness doesn't seem fair. Stretching every fibre and sinew in your body as you try and set new boundaries in the sport you love.

Determined to make it back on to the pool table at some point in the future though. Glad you're over the worst of it Aonghus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Neyite wrote: »
    Will the most mortifying one do ya?

It started out badly when the doctor was male, as HSE guidelines stated that it is always done by a female. That threw me initially, but since I was a public patient and had been on the waiting list for months for it, thought 'meh'. Gender equality and all that.

This doctor was very good-looking. This was initally a pleasing distraction, but quickly became a source of discomfort once I remembered this doctor would be shortly poking around my rather unkempt nethers.

Alas, Dr. Gorgeous also had the skill of a turnip, so what should have been a a quick and discreet insertion of a catheter into my innards via my lady parts became a long and protracted rummage, involving several bright lights warming my arse, stirrups, forceps-types yokes and lots of poking the end of the catherter in the approximate direction of my cervix. Which was bloody sore.

This type of procedure is supposed to take no longer than 10 mins. My one took so long that the nurse holding my hand was getting tired on her feet and fetched a chair for herself.
    Sweet Jesus!!!! I really hope this is the worst post i read in this thread. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

You should have brought some weed with you. I hear it's a great pain reliever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

114 Days sounds like the title of a great movie. Who would play the lead though?

Menas wrote: »
    114 Days sounds like the title of a great movie. Who would play the lead though?
    That Dr Gorgeous fella who molested Neyite could play Pighead. Sounds like he has the movie star looks to pull it off.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Tilly wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus!!!! I really hope this is the worst post i read in this thread. :eek:

I hope so too. I think the worst of it was that I never once complained. Wimp that I am. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Pighead wrote: »
    That Dr Gorgeous fella who molested Neyite could play Pighead. Sounds like he has the movie star looks to pull it off.

Sounds like he was just 'acting' at been a doctor too. But lets not tell her that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

So what's the scariest visit to a doctor you've had?

Pain in the testicle. Sent me straight to ER because he thought it was twisted and necrosis had set in. Was full sure I'd be going home with only one ball.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

How is Miss Piggy treating you in this time of need?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

I feel your pain, Im in a cast myself with a broken ankle and its getting flipping tedious at this stage!

3 more weeks to go, and im hoping and praying I dont get the hot doctor that did my recent checkup for the cast removal, 6 weeks of leg hair growth...oh god...

Sounds like he was just 'acting' at been a doctor too. But lets not tell her that.

:eek: Oh fcuk. He could have been a psych patient who thought he was a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Rupert Grint would be perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The one were I was being wheeled down to theatre for major surgery and then there was a powercut. I got all freaked out lying on the trolley looking at the ceiling when suddenly everything went dark until the generator kicked in. The worst bit was waiting back on the ward wondering if the surgery would go ahead and freaking out about maybe the powercut was an omen etc etc. I had the surgery, it went fine and 22 days later I got to go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Crutches are awful. I spent three weeks on them and, whatever skill I gained in moving around, was offset by the increasing misery of being on crutches. By the end, I was mostly dragging myself along, with the occasional proper wheeeeeee crutch-swing-jump 'cause that's just fun.

Might I suggest a wheeeeeee crutch-swing-jump to lighten your misery?

Ruu wrote: »
    How is Miss Piggy treating you in this time of need?
    Sympathy ran out after day two Ruu. Today's women, while more beautiful and sophisticated than their mothers and grandmothers, are sadly lacking in the compassion stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Where once Pighead strode through Dundalk Town Centre like a modern day Emperor Nero, nowadays he hops and hobbles about like some sort of circus freak.

Automatically read the rest in a Dundalk accent, in the style of a Shawshank voiceover.

Didn't help.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

When I was about 8 I had this weird bug or something that temporarily caused the muscles on my legs to go tingly and then they could not bear any weight at all. I literally couldn't walk, as I couldn't stand up or bend my knees - the muscles required to bend and straighten a knee, as well as the muscles needed to hold me up simply were not working.

It only lasted about 2 or 3 days, but at the end, it briefly started up in my arms also, before my immune system fought off whatever it was that was effectively paralysing my muscles.

I had already been taken to the doctor when it was just my legs, but was rushed back there once it affected my arms.

I was too young to understand, by my parents and the doctor were absolutely terrified that the paralysis would eventually get to my heart.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OSI wrote: »
    For the most part perfectly fine. I have some neurological issues, epilepsy, deaf, some mental health quirks but nothing that's stopped me from having a perfectly normal life.

It's actually amazing how the brain can workaround stuff.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Lawrence_%28British_Army_officer%29
    Lawrence lost 43% of his brain ... He eventually regained most movement although with a slight limp, a paralysed left arm, involuntary muscle contractions and posttraumatic stress disorder. ...Lawrence is a popular and entertaining after dinner speaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Will you make it to Belarus to see your beloved, in your predicament, Pighead

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

All hail The Head of Pig.........he lives again amongst us mere mortals!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

whiskeyman wrote: »
    A broken foot wouldn't keep down our hero Aongus V B...
    Perhaps ask for his advice on what life skills you need to apply to be the best in such a circumstance?

is this going to turn into some new Godwins law type scenario where we cant have a thread without mentioning the baron?

Advertisement