Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

11 year old charged with shooting toddler

Options
  • 06-08-2015 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0806/719450-detroit-shooting/

It's getting beyond redicilous at this stage. If ever there was proof that gun owners in US are not responsible enough to own guns this is it.

It sounds like the 11-year-old thought it was a toy and was playing with it.

I would love to see the owners of the gun, in this case charged with recklessness to set an example. It might teach others to think where they have their weapons so that their kids cannot find them or even go one step further and get rid of it. But we'll be back down this road in another few years! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well with that wealth of information its easy to come to a rational conclusion. :rolleyes:

How about the father was a criminal with an illegally held loaded gun hidden in the house that the kid found? How would banning guns have stopped that? Criminals have guns here too even though they're illegal.

thomasj wrote: »
    I would love to see the owners of the gun, in this case charged with recklessness to set an example.

What is the crime of "recklessness"?

My God that poor little boy must be so so scared. He's just killed a little boy, more than likely by complete and utter accident because he was easily able to access a gun. He's now being treated like a criminal and being held in a detention centre without someone he loves being able to get him through the pain and horror of what just happened.

Jesus that's just heartbreaking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If anyone should be locked up it's the dad for keeping a loaded weapon where a child could get it.

My God that poor little boy must be so so scared. He's just killed a little boy, more than likely by complete and utter accident because he was easily able to access a gun. He's now being treated like a criminal and being held in a detention centre without someone he loves being able to get him through the pain and horror of what just happened.

Jesus that's just heartbreaking :(

To plays devils advocate, how do you know he even gives a ****? For all we know the kid could be in a gang (plenty are at his age) and be going on about how great he is. Its akin to any story involving someone in their 60's or above and they automatically get described like their are a harmless frail old person incapable of hurting anyone.

Again, much more info needed. What little information there is reads like he knew what he was at regarding taking the gun. He dropped it out the window then went down and got it. If he thought it was a toy, he would have walked out the door with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

What is the crime of "recklessness"?

Sorry badly put!

My point is, surely when you own a weapon, its your responsibility to ensure that it doesn't get into the wrong hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Charging the kid seems a bit mad. Perhaps that is standard procedure...but it on seeing the report on CNN it does sound like he was just playing - like 11 year olds do. Poor kid.

When I was that age I found a shotgun cartridge at home and took it in to school. Yeah - that was not the most clever thing I have ever done.

Again, much more info needed.

Yep true, there is not enough information , but the us news networks seem to be pointing to the kid getting his dads gun from the closet. They could be wrong and we may find out but if not that's a case of not ensuring that your weapon does not fall into the wrong hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

You are more lightly to be shot by a child in the USA than a terrorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The sobering thing in all this, and probably the best argument for getting rid of guns altogether is, if you google say "5 year old shoots..." you get a myriad of news stories, a full catalog of tragedies that could be avoided.

However, no lesson learned, we are reading yet another one of those stories today. The time for change has long since passed, it's just sickening now, to the very point of racial disdain.

• Advertisement

it's just sickening now, to the very point of racial disdain.

What does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

beware the child terrorists!!

beware the child terrorists!!

It's all good, being lightly shot is no biggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Menas wrote: »
    Charging the kid seems a bit mad. Perhaps that is standard procedure...but it on seeing the report on CNN it does sound like he was just playing - like 11 year olds do. Poor kid.

When I was that age I found a shotgun cartridge at home and took it in to school. Yeah - that was not the most clever thing I have ever done.

Not just standard procedure, read about Paul Gingerich 12 years old, 35 years for taking part in killing a man, might have been reduced lately, but non uncommon for kids to be treated as adults in U.S.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No one wins in this scenariobits tragic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Some parents. Feel for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

What does this mean?

Good catch, I did mean national distain, I think the flavour of the post gave that after all America isn't a race and I think we all agree that most of this happens in the US.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/boy-11-charged-with-manslaughter-in-shooting-death-of-3-year-old/

A bit more information from cbs

From that article
    Authorities told CBS Detroit the boys had been "playing with" the gun. Exactly who was supposed to be watching the boys is unclear."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Reminds me of this story from a couple of years back.

Happens here though. Knew of one lad who accidentally shot himself with a gun back around 89. His brother ran to his room and found him. He never got over seeing what he did on opening that door by all accounts. Mate of mine had a farm in Kinsley also and one summer in the mid 80s I remember us messing around and finding a shotgun in one of the rooms and running around after one another playing with it. No idea if it was loaded or not but I suspect we could have shot one another by mistake easily enough. Luck plays more a part in these things than we'd like to think I suspect.

There was also that recent two year old who killed his mother in a Walmart store around six months back after he found a gun in her purse. Maybe the safety on weapons needs to be a more complex mechanism to prevent such incidents? Fcuk knows what the solution is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Happens here though. Knew of one lad who accidentally shot himself with a gun back around 89. His brother ran to his room and found him. He never got over seeing what he did on opening that door by all accounts. Mate of mine had a farm in Kinsley also and one summer in the mid 80s I remember us messing around and finding a shotgun in one of the rooms and running around after one another playing with it. No idea if it was loaded or not but I suspect we could have shot one another by mistake easily enough. Luck plays more a part in these things than we'd like to think I suspect.

There was also that recent two year old who killed his mother in a Walmart store around six months back after he found a gun in her purse. Maybe the safety on weapons needs to be a more complex mechanism to prevent such incidents? Fcuk knows what the solution is.

The exact same thing as this story happened to Sean Lemass and his little brother as well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Well with that wealth of information its easy to come to a rational conclusion. :rolleyes:

How about the father was a criminal with an illegally held loaded gun hidden in the house that the kid found? How would banning guns have stopped that? Criminals have guns here too even though they're illegal.

It would have made it harder for him to buy a gun. Plus if he was a bad criminal he might not have enough money to buy a gun on the black market.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

That's because a child usually weighs less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Menas wrote: »

From a statement by one of the police involved on the news earlier they "have a specific reason for charging the boy and detaining him which they could not go into at the time". so either something was said that led them to believe it was a deliberate act(gang involvement?) or that was the only way they could get the boy out of the custody of the parents?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sinead88

The gun lobby crowd will probably come out saying that all toddlers should be armed in order to defend themselves against such happenings. In all seriousness though, gun control in the US is just insane. How many more people have to die before it's seriously reviewed? I think it's easy to think of America as having a similar culture to ours because we speak the same language, but it's very different in a lot of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

:D WTF that news story you linked cannot possibly be real..

blurb at the bottom: How young is too young for kids to have guns?

this has done me. i'm done.

From the link above to the CNN story
    A Kentucky mother stepped outside of her home just for a few minutes, but it was long enough for her 5-year-old sonto accidentally shoot and kill his 2-year-old sister with the .22-caliber rifle he got for his birthday, state officials said.

:eek: wtf! Who in their sane right mind buys their 5 year old son a rifle? I'm lost for words!

Advertisement