Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Collins Barracks Military Museum Dublin

Options
  • 20-07-2009 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

I paid another visit yesterday to the Collins Barracks Military Museum in Dublin. It is part of the Irish museum complex spread across several buildings in Dublin and the Collins barracks location in addition to Militaria also encompasses the decorative arts museum (including viking artifacts etc).

http://www.museum.ie/en/list/museum-highlights-arts-history.aspx

One of the main displays at the moment is "The Irish at War at Home and Abroad from 1550" which tries to cover the Irish military contribution to a lot of European military history, including both sides of WWI, the Franco Prussian war, the napoleonic wars, Crimea, and too many more to mention right up to current UN & anti-terrorits roles. The other main exhibition is 'The British Garrison in Ireland'.

Here are some pictures I thought some members may enjoy. The collections cover a LOT of areas of history, WWI, the wild Geese, 1916, War of Independence, Civil War and lots more. I was not permitted to photograph all areas but here are a few I managed to get :

Courtyard of the Building

Collins_Barracks01.jpg

Collins Artifacts - Michael Collins Pistol, Sword and the pen used to sign the treaty & his death warrant ;

Collins_Barracks02.jpg

Viking Helmet

Collins_Barracks04.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Loyalist tapestry

Collins_Barracks05.jpg

Collins_Barracks_07.jpg

Collins_Barracks_09.jpg

Collins_Barracks_10.jpg

Firearms

Collins_Barracks_week2_05.jpg

Both barrels
    Collins_Barracks_week2_11.jpg

Collins_Barracks_week2_17.jpg

Edged Weapons
    Collins_Barracks_week2_18.jpg

Collins_Barracks_week2_20.jpg

Collins_Barracks_week2_21.jpg

Collins_Barracks_week2_24.jpg

Collins_Barracks_week2_25.jpg

Collins_Barracks_week2_27.jpg

Collins_Barracks_week2_35.jpg

Collins_Barracks_week2_41.jpg

Collins_Barracks_week2_44.jpg

Collins_Barracks_week2_45.jpg

Collins_Barracks_week2_49.jpg

The rest of the images are here if anyone wants to check them out ;

http://militaria-archive.com/Collins%20Barracks%20Museum/index.html

Unfortunately I got told off when photographing some exhibits so there are only certain areas where photography is permitted, among the items I was not permitted to photograph were the 1916 exhibit, the Irish War of Independence, Civil War, Irish in the Confederate & yankee army, Franco Prussian war, Irish in WWI (including an German WWI Irish Regiment uniform), a lot of iniskillings & Fusileirs medals, uniforms & weapons, the also the great coat Michael Collins wore when he was assasinated at Béal na mBláth and many many more. UN peacekeeping, Lebanon, anti-terrorist, etc. For those in Dublin or passing through if you get to visit it is free admission and free parking & well recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

i have been to see this a couple of times and its well worth a visit .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I love Collins barracks, theres something so reverent and awe inspiring about the parade ground. Not to mention the exhibits are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

Can anyone tell me anything about a counterfeit Italian passport with michael collins photo that he is supposed to have used at least once for foreign travel possibly associated with arms buying ? It was said to have been exhibited among Collins memorabilia in the national museum many years ago.

Advertisement