Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-05-2020, 17:34   #1
mickotoole

Huawei Q2 Pro Mesh WiFi 3-pack - £139.99

Saw this posted on another Boards thread and went for it. Expecting it to arrive tomorrow so can't comment on the quality or user experience yet. Total cost delivered is £150.23. For a 3 piece mesh WiFi system that is pretty good value. A quick search is showing the same kit as being over £200 elsewhere. I'll post a review as soon as I get it set up. For those that aren't bothered waiting on an independent review you can jump straight in here - https://www.box.co.uk/Huawei-WiFi-Q2...)_2784181.html
Advertisement
21-05-2020, 18:13   #2
ThunbergsAreGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickotoole View Post
Saw this posted on another Boards thread and went for it. Expecting it to arrive tomorrow so can't comment on the quality or user experience yet. Total cost delivered is £150.23. For a 3 piece mesh WiFi system that is pretty good value. A quick search is showing the same kit as being over £200 elsewhere. I'll post a review as soon as I get it set up. For those that aren't bothered waiting on an independent review you can jump straight in here - https://www.box.co.uk/Huawei-WiFi-Q2...)_2784181.html
Would this be overkill over a 4 bed semi?
22-05-2020, 11:18   #3
Happy_Harry

Definitely a bargain- but amazon reviews are a bit mixed
22-05-2020, 13:25   #4
GerardKeating

Send a message via ICQ to GerardKeating Send a message via AIM to GerardKeating Send a message via MSN to GerardKeating Send a message via Yahoo to GerardKeating Send a message via Skype™ to GerardKeating
Quote:
My reading of your link, is that you have bought 3 Base units

I was looking at Amazon, and they seem to have 3 different options to buy

1 Base, 1 Satellite
1 Base, 2 Satellite
3 Base units

This sounds like a good concept, will be interested in your review when you ready.

Last edited by GerardKeating; 22-05-2020 at 13:31.
22-05-2020, 14:02   #5
Zimmerframe

Tempted to try these.
Have Google wifi, which has rave reviews and yet they are the devils spawn and Google support is a waste of time.
Advertisement
22-05-2020, 14:32   #6
Soarer

Bought the Deco M4 Triple Pack from Amazon last week for £100. They were price-matching Curry's.

*Dons tinfoil hat*
Do you really want Huawei to have access to your home internet?
22-05-2020, 14:46   #7
Zimmerframe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarer View Post

*Dons tinfoil hat*
Yes as long as I can access it too, unlike the ones I have now. D:
22-05-2020, 17:43   #8
Pique

So this is the kinda thing that someone in an old stone farmhouse with massive thick walls should have to get for WiFi coverage all over the house?
22-05-2020, 18:07   #9
Wing126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarer View Post
Bought the Deco M4 Triple Pack from Amazon last week for £100. They were price-matching Curry's.

*Dons tinfoil hat*

TP-Link are also a Chinese company. Huawei were established as networking technology company before they started making phones too.

*Dons my own tinfoil hat*

If China wants our data, China will get it one way or the other.
Advertisement
22-05-2020, 18:42   #10
mickotoole

OK, I received these yesterday and hooked them straight up.

My set up previous to this was FTTH - EdgeRouter - Asus AC-RT68U wireless. Using a PiHole for DNS.

The equipment is a complete doddle to set up and using the app on my phone I had the whole lot up and running in about 20 minutes. The app is handy but what surprised me was that there was a decent amount of functionality in the WebGUI.

The good - Full coverage all over my house (4 bed semi). Good parental controls. I can kick the kids off the WiFi on a whim. Easy to set up. Good wired internet speed (getting 800Mbps down 200Mbps up through Cat6 connected to switch connected to the router). All devices are connected and having no issues with buffering or dropping connection which is the reason I looked to move in the first place.

The bad - My house isn't huge but the power line functionality looks to be pretty poor. One of the units is getting 60Mbps and the other 32Mbps through the Powerline. Out of the box the 5G signal was using a channel that I believe were incompatible with most of my devices. As a result the devices were swapping to the 2.4GHz network (there is only 1 SSID broadcast btw which I particularly liked). Once I lowered that channel to a lower number the speeds picked up.

I'm having some issues getting the PiHole working with this kit. There is an option to set a DNS server but everytime I use the internal IP of the PiHole no devices on the network can connect. I will most likely set up the PiHole as my DHCP server to enable the functionality but once I change anything I get a lots of complaints from the wife and kids that the internet isn't working. Once I get some more time to test I'll figure it all out.

So far the kit is doing a good job. I'm not blown away by it but it was easy to set up and seems to give solid and consistent coverage all over the house.
22-05-2020, 19:33   #11
Zimmerframe

How is port forwarding m8, is it done like on conventional routers ie you port forward an ip address ?
My big gripe with Google wifi, is that while I have devices that work fine on my network as they should, have fixed ip addresses, are accessible, but Google wifi can't list them in the list of devices.
Because Google wifi won't list them then they can't be forwarded.

With google wifi, it searches all your devices and lists them eg Samsung tv, Imac, Shield tv etc etc
So you can port forward your "Samsung tv", but you can't port forward a device with an ip address of 192.168.1.75, because despite it being totally accessible on your network, Google won't/can't list it so can't be done.
I had Apple extremes years ago and they worked much better than Google wifi.

Google seems to have dumbed down the interface, and decided if very few people have one of those, let's ignore that device.
22-05-2020, 19:48   #12
mickotoole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerframe View Post
How is port forwarding m8, is it done like on conventional routers ie you port forward an ip address ?
My big gripe with Google wifi, is that while I have devices that work fine on my network as they should, have fixed ip addresses, are accessible, but Google wifi can't list them in the list of devices.
Because Google wifi won't list them then they can't be forwarded.

With google wifi, it searches all your devices and lists them eg Samsung tv, Imac, Shield tv etc etc
So you can port forward your "Samsung tv", but you can't port forward a device with an ip address of 192.168.1.75, because despite it being totally accessible on your network, Google won't/can't list it so can't be done.
I had Apple extremes years ago and they worked much better than Google wifi.

Google seems to have dumbed down the interface, and decided if very few people have one of those, let's ignore that device.
Port forwarding is available to all devices that the router picks up as far as I can see. I've got some funky looking devices listed by the router, I think it could be smartwatches or something (I haven't had a chance to identify them yet) but anything that is on your network can be used to port forward to.
22-05-2020, 19:56   #13
Zimmerframe

Quote:
Port forwarding is available to all devices that the router picks up as far as I can see.
Cheers m8.

My issue is Google wifi does not pick up some devices, it ignores them totally, they don't show up anywhere yet they exist and work fine in a browser.
So with a conventional router if I have a device like 192.168.1.75, then I just port forward that address, job done in 0 seconds.
With Google wifi, my working device has not been officially found, so despite it working, it is deemed to not exist.
Then port forwarding 192.168.1.75 can not be done, because it hasn't made the list.
22-05-2020, 20:24   #14
podgeandrodge

Quote:
OK, I received these yesterday and hooked them straight up.

My set up previous to this was FTTH - EdgeRouter - Asus AC-RT68U wireless. Using a PiHole for DNS.

The equipment is a complete doddle to set up and using the app on my phone I had the whole lot up and running in about 20 minutes. The app is handy but what surprised me was that there was a decent amount of functionality in the WebGUI.

The good - Full coverage all over my house (4 bed semi). Good parental controls. I can kick the kids off the WiFi on a whim. Easy to set up. Good wired internet speed (getting 800Mbps down 200Mbps up through Cat6 connected to switch connected to the router). All devices are connected and having no issues with buffering or dropping connection which is the reason I looked to move in the first place.

The bad - My house isn't huge but the power line functionality looks to be pretty poor. One of the units is getting 60Mbps and the other 32Mbps through the Powerline. Out of the box the 5G signal was using a channel that I believe were incompatible with most of my devices. As a result the devices were swapping to the 2.4GHz network (there is only 1 SSID broadcast btw which I particularly liked). Once I lowered that channel to a lower number the speeds picked up.

I'm having some issues getting the PiHole working with this kit. There is an option to set a DNS server but everytime I use the internal IP of the PiHole no devices on the network can connect. I will most likely set up the PiHole as my DHCP server to enable the functionality but once I change anything I get a lots of complaints from the wife and kids that the internet isn't working. Once I get some more time to test I'll figure it all out.

So far the kit is doing a good job. I'm not blown away by it but it was easy to set up and seems to give solid and consistent coverage all over the house.
It's not powerline though no?
22-05-2020, 20:27   #15
podgeandrodge

I have installed these in myself/friends/relations houses and find them excellent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-Cover...dp/B07H3CXJBH/

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing...90570-pdt.html

Don't go for MW3 if you see it on Amazon etc - it does not convert any more than 100mb internet and you want to maximise the potential for the wifi. The MW5 or MW5s both allow full speed in, so will give you the max wifi possible. The only difference between the MW5 and MW5s (1 in each link below and they are same price approx.) is that the MW5 in Currys has the 2 nodes for other rooms as "plug in" so they may appear neater than the S model where the 2 nodes are the same design as the main node. Personally, I like the currys one as they are neater for placement.

https://cordcuttingreport.com/2019/0...router-review/
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion